Working for a Charity [ASAP]

Looking for a job? Want a work experience placement?
Find jobs advertised by Old Blues.
Post a "JOB WANTED" advert.
Advertise your jobs to other Old Blues.
Please delete your ads once expired - all post will be removed after 60 days....

Moderator: Moderators

ColBCNB
2nd Former

Working for a Charity [ASAP]

Post by ColBCNB »

Been thinking about it for ages and have finally decided to look seriously into it - would appreciate some advice or guidance on moving from a researchers job in the City to a researcher or fundraising type job in a charity or not-for-profit organisation. I have good sales experience thanks to my years as a recruitment consultant in London. I also have some volunteer (UK and Africa) experience but is a little while ago now. Can people move easily from financial or private sector to the public sector does anyone know?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Working for a Charity

Post by englishangel »

ColBCNB wrote:Been thinking about it for ages and have finally decided to look seriously into it - would appreciate some advice or guidance on moving from a researchers job in the City to a researcher or fundraising type job in a charity or not-for-profit organisation. I have good sales experience thanks to my years as a recruitment consultant in London. I also have some volunteer (UK and Africa) experience but is a little while ago now. Can people move easily from financial or private sector to the public sector does anyone know?
First, welcome to the forum.

I don't know if you have read the 'Charge' thread but it seems relevant to you.

I have no experience of working for a charity, but from what I have read they are crying out for people like you.

Try the websites of charities that interest you.

Try googling 'working for charity', loads of things come up.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
ColBCNB
2nd Former

Post by ColBCNB »

An encouraging message - thank you. Have made one application so far to an international development charity that I found through a web search. Will try the google approach too !
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

ColBCNB wrote:An encouraging message - thank you. Have made one application so far to an international development charity that I found through a web search. Will try the google approach too !
Google is my middle name.

(I am on aol and the default search engine is Google)

I feel another poll coming on.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I have a good friend in France who was a banker for yonks before he tired of the materialistic side of his life. He contacted the Croix Rouge, who were absolutely delighted to get him, and after running corporate purchases in Paris for a while now manages a centre in Vendée.

Red Cross, Oxfam, Save the Children , the list is endless of NP organisations who badly need trained professionals like yourself.

If you log into Stepstone UK, you will find a whole section of job offers in NP section - and congratulations on moving in this direction !

( oh, and of course, welcome to the CH.OB version of a potty half hour!)
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Try http://www.charitypeople.co.uk or jobsgopublic
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
ColBCNB
2nd Former

Post by ColBCNB »

Thanks thats so helpful - I did go and see a placement agency type place for this sort of thing a short while ago and whilst they weren't that enthusiastic about my chances of moving into the np sector they did say that certain skills would be transferrable, though I have heard nothing since - so decided so see how I fare in making my own way forwards so any ideas such as these are really appreciated. I think thats the good thing about this sort of forum site, its open to anything! Has it been around long, even though I left CH in 98 its taken me a while to find it?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSearch/Resu ... 42&AndOr=0

there are currently 391 jobs open in the NP sector on totaljobs....you should find something suitable to your talents !
Julian opened the Forum on 4th June ( I think) 2004

best of luck
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

ColBCNB wrote:Has it been around long, even though I left CH in 98 its taken me a while to find it?
Been around since late 2004, growing steadily over time.
Glad it's been of use to you so far!

You might like to try Sara Voice at the CHA office - she's come from a charity background, and is obviously carrying on that work excellently for the CHA in the past year....she might be able to give some advice.
She's very busy this week (there's a CHA advisory board meeting on Saturday, with lots to prepare for) but I'm sure would happy to have a chat.
Find her details here:-
http://www.chassociation.org/contacts.php

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

There is a job here that looks like it might suit you.

http://www.jtsma.org.uk/index.html

I found it from this news report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4770154.stm
ColBCNB
2nd Former

Post by ColBCNB »

Thank you for hunting that down for me - That looks like just the thing but unfortunately is based a bit too far for me to get to. Thought you would like to know though that I have seen a posting for a Trusts Officer for Unicef that I am going to apply for - its essentially related to fundraising in a corporate capacity so hopefully my background so far may make me eligible in some ways??
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

ColBCNB wrote:Thank you for hunting that down for me - That looks like just the thing but unfortunately is based a bit too far for me to get to. Thought you would like to know though that I have seen a posting for a Trusts Officer for Unicef that I am going to apply for - its essentially related to fundraising in a corporate capacity so hopefully my background so far may make me eligible in some ways??
good Luck
ColBCNB
2nd Former

Post by ColBCNB »

Hi Mary
Thought you'd like to know, I've an interview at Save The Children this week. Fingers Crossed hey!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Good luck.

that should be interesting.