Does anyone live in Dubai?

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

greg
3rd Former

Post by greg »

I was wondering if anyone lives in Dubai and if so, if they would be able to offer an Old Blue a bed for the night. I am currently serving on a seven month tour of Southern Iraq with the Devonshire and Dorset Light Infantry. My wife decided that staying with her parents in Brisbane would be a damn sight more fun than moping around in Catterick Garrison (who can blame her) and so I am flying out to see them on my R & R in late June. Unfortunately I have a twelve hour overnight stop over in Dubai, and I have just about had enough of sleeping rough to do it in an airport during leave, so I wondered if anyone could put me up for the night, in retun for an evening with my razor sharp wit, tall tales from the front, and general eternal gratitude! If anyone thinks that they may be able to help, PM me and I will let you know the date/time.

Semper Fidelis
Greg Colton
LaB/LaA 89-96
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I am sure you will find someone who has more than CH in common with you as coincidence seems to be your speciality. :lol:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

My old house-mate, Peter Donaldson was living and working in Dubai until unfortunately I lost his e-mail address after a house move.

You could ry getting him through the CH site on Friends Re-United. Year around 1960. I'm no longer a 'paid-up' member of FR.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

The brother of a good friend of mine lives in Dubai.
I have met him when he visited the village.
Do you want me to ask?
My friend went to Lancing and Sussex University and now lives in Brunei.
greg
3rd Former

Post by greg »

Panic over! May I just thank everyone for racking their brains to help. Emirates has just sent me an e-mail offering a free hotel room for the night, and after two months in Iraq it would be unfair of me to turn it down in favour of imposing my sweaty, smelly self on some poor unsuspecting stranger. So thank you all once again. 26 days to R and R!!!
Greg Colton
LaB/LaA 89-96
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

greg wrote:Panic over! May I just thank everyone for racking their brains to help. Emirates has just sent me an e-mail offering a free hotel room for the night, and after two months in Iraq it would be unfair of me to turn it down in favour of imposing my sweaty, smelly self on some poor unsuspecting stranger. So thank you all once again. 26 days to R and R!!!
Great stuff Greg. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the company that Peter Donaldson works for !
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

greg wrote:Panic over! May I just thank everyone for racking their brains to help. Emirates has just sent me an e-mail offering a free hotel room for the night, and after two months in Iraq it would be unfair of me to turn it down in favour of imposing my sweaty, smelly self on some poor unsuspecting stranger. So thank you all once again. 26 days to R and R!!!
If your free hotel room is anything like the one I had in KL on my way home from New Zealand you're in for a treat!! That hotel had been voted the Best Airport Hotel in Asia for the last five years - and without any others to judge by, I can well understand why!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Katharine wrote:
If your free hotel room is anything like the one I had in KL on my way home from New Zealand you're in for a treat!! That hotel had been voted the Best Airport Hotel in Asia for the last five years - and without any others to judge by, I can well understand why!
Was that the room with 'The Chippendales' en suite, Katherine ??
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote:
Katharine wrote:
Was that the room with 'The Chippendales' en suite, Katherine ??
I'd edit your post toute suite JR it's KathArine!!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

J.R. wrote:Was that the room with 'The Chippendales' en suite, KathArine ??
That would be telling!! :lol: :wink:
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
mattyjadams
2nd Former

Post by mattyjadams »

greg wrote: Emirates has just sent me an e-mail offering a free hotel room for the night
That'd be the Millenium then.
Funny how the Gp Capts and above get to stay in the nicer one when enroute back from Riyadh (Al Yammah project)
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Some people must live in Dubai. Dubainians, for example ...
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

cj wrote:Does anyone live in Dubai?

Jim Davidson does !
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

J.R. wrote:
cj wrote:Does anyone live in Dubai?

Jim Davidson does !
Urgh!
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

and Michael Jackson (or is that Bahrain?)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"