travel stories

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

liamila
2nd Former

travel stories

Post by liamila »

a travel stories can make everyone inspiration to make a travel for her/his own experience. The excitement and adventure are the things that cannot be exchanged even money, thats the essence of travel. Everyone loves travel, let us share our stories and let everyone inspired.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: travel stories

Post by sejintenej »

a travel stories can make everyone inspiration to make a travel for her/his own experience. The excitement and adventure are the things that cannot be exchanged even money, thats the essence of travel. Everyone loves travel, let us share our stories and let everyone inspired.
Hi, Liamila
You don't give any info on your profile page so I have np idea if you are a would-be blue, currently at Housey, an OB or unconnected, well travelled or confined to the UK (or with a name like that somewhere a couple of hours east) - whichever I echo JR's welcome.

You need to look through past posts - there have been quite a few travel related posts at one time or another.

For one I remember relating the pilot's message as we were about to depart across the South Atlantic:
" We apologise for the delay but you will appreciate that aircraft are machines and machines sometimes break!"

That aircraft did break again a week later - at 30,000 feet over Abidjan

Line up, line up for the excitement and adventure which are the things that cannot be exchanged
............................................................................................................................................
The ghost of David Brown (Col A, 1952 - 1961)

If pigs could fly bacon would go up
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

You may know that I have been on Insulin for over 53 years, and, perhaps because of this I have been on various National advisory committees etc.
Recently, I heard a tale of a young (12) girl, who was put through a good deal of "Hassle" by a Security Official at Bournemouth Airport, because she had, (Naturally) Insulin and Needles.
She also had a letter from her GP, certifying that she needed these. This is the current requirement, which we all carry, when travelling abroad, and I have, personally, never had any problems. The said "Jobsworth" obviously didn't KNOW his job, and it is particularly offensive that a 12 year old girl should be thus treated.
If there are any otherr "Diabolicals" like me, who have had any such experiences -- I should like to hear about it ----- I may be abkle to get it addressed, in the future.

BTW -- I would admire any Terrorist, who was able to hi-jack a 747, with a needle 1cm long -- and the thickness of a thin hair !
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:
BTW -- I would admire any Terrorist, who was able to hi-jack a 747, with a needle 1cm long -- and the thickness of a thin hair !

Once tried to take blood from a Greek farmer with larger needle than that (probably a 21 gauge, but I'm more used to 16s and 18s now: for horses, not humans). Anyway, veins on inside of elbow defied me (too well covered), so tried the back of his hands. Skin like leather, and the needle just kept bouncing off. I'd been asked to get the blood by a doctor who had already failed, so recruited another doctor who eventually got some blood out of the femoral.

And to bring this back on topic:

and then I left England's sunny shores for a new life in New Zealand.

xx
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:You may know that I have been on Insulin for over 53 years, and, perhaps because of this I have been on various National advisory committees etc.
Recently, I heard a tale of a young (12) girl, who was put through a good deal of "Hassle" by a Security Official at Bournemouth Airport, because she had, (Naturally) Insulin and Needles.
She also had a letter from her GP, certifying that she needed these. This is the current requirement, which we all carry, when travelling abroad, and I have, personally, never had any problems. The said "Jobsworth" obviously didn't KNOW his job, and it is particularly offensive that a 12 year old girl should be thus treated.
If there are any otherr "Diabolicals" like me, who have had any such experiences -- I should like to hear about it ----- I may be abkle to get it addressed, in the future.

Eldest daughter has been Type 1 since GCSE years. Some years ago we decided to buy some fish & chips to take away, (in Horsham, of all places). Emma paused outside the shop to give herself a dose of insulin with her nova-pen into her thigh through her jeans.

An old codger walked past, and said in a load voice, 'F*cking Junkies get everywhere these days !"

Needless to say, Dear Dad dealt with this remark on the spot leaving said old codger probably feeling very lucky his dentures were still in place !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
matthew
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by matthew »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: Recently, I heard a tale of a young (12) girl, who was put through a good deal of "Hassle" by a Security Official at Bournemouth Airport, because she had, (Naturally) Insulin and Needles.
A few years back, my wife was flying with a pair of nail clippers with one of those pop-out nail files. The security chap picked it up, frowned for a moment, and snapped off the nail file. Then gave it back to her, saying "be careful, it's sharp now".
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I remember Maria telling me that when she flew to Hong Kong en route to Australia, she took with her a cross-stitch project that she had been working on for some time, expecting to have lots of time to work on it during the flight, only to find that the needle was confiscated by security. How much damage did they expect that anyone could inflict with a cross-stitch needle which, to the uninitiated, is usually short and blunt!? Conversely I noticed on my last flight to Finland that a number of the cabin staff had their hair clipped up with large metal clips which could be lethal in the wrong hands - in fact in our family we actually refer to them as 'terrorist spikes'! And have I already told the story here of the water bottle at Stockholm Airport?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

matthew wrote:A few years back, my wife was flying with a pair of nail clippers with one of those pop-out nail files. The security chap picked it up, frowned for a moment, and snapped off the nail file. Then gave it back to her, saying "be careful, it's sharp now".
:lol: :lol: Classic!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:You may know that I have been on Insulin for over 53 years, and, perhaps because of this I have been on various National advisory committees etc.
A mother (after a bitter divorce in which she lost almost everything) was given a holiday 9 miles from here with her two young boys. One of the boys has serious health problems and is on all sorts of prescribed medicines, eincluding some apparently with a psychiatric effect. Airport security were not amused and held her back for a long time and even insisted that she took some of her child's prescribed medicines. (So far as I am aware there was no doctor present to authorise such action). Despite having checked in early she missed her flight as a result and the airline then charged her almost every last cent for the privelege of allowing the family to have the holiday. On her second pass through security, after having allowed the medicines the first time they simply grabbed some and threw them in the rubbish. She was allowed to keep £5 each spending money for a 14 day holiday.
Of course the name of the security company involved is a "state" secret and the airline made a profit of £300 out of a mother's anguish.