Anyone in Finland?

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Anyone in Finland?

Post by mvgrogan »

I moved to Turku, Finland nearly 2 years ago and was just wondering if any other OBs were daft enough to do the same!! :shock:

I was here as an ERASMUS student in 1996, met a Finn, fell in love :roll: , took him home to Leicester, started a business together, got married, had a baby, sold the business and in April 07 we moved back here.... another baby imminent!

Would love to make contact with any other OBs enjoying the snow and laughing at the Brits for grinding to a halt last week :lol:

Maria x
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: Anyone in Finland?

Post by jhopgood »

Just sent you a pm on Keith Battarbee, University of Turku.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Thanks, I just looked him up... I'll drop him a line when I'm more awake... gone 1am..this site has sucked me in!

Mx
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Was in Lapland before Christmas doing the Santa thing while they still believe it's real - been to Helsinki a couple of times in the last ten years on business, but that is about it!

BTW Leicester was colder this week than Lapland was before Christmas, and probably more snow!
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

cstegerlewis wrote:Was in Lapland before Christmas doing the Santa thing while they still believe it's real - been to Helsinki a couple of times in the last ten years on business, but that is about it!

BTW Leicester was colder this week than Lapland was before Christmas, and probably more snow!
I assume your Lapland is on the Finnish side.
My son lives in Lulea, his wife comes from Tarendo and her father speaks some curious mixture of Swedish, Finnish and A.N.Other, which is unique to that area of Sweden/Finland.
In Lulea, where my son lives, it was 20 below on Friday when we spoke.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Hi Craig - I remember you! Are you in Leicester? It's actually about 13 years since I went to Lapland and that was in Summer... yes, I went to see Santa in June... shorter queues! We discussed relative theatre management in Finland & the UK!! He's a smart cookie :lol:

Re: weather.. we've had snow on & off here in the south since mid November but never much colder than about -12. It's actually quite pleasant especially when it's sunny, cos it's dry and not slushy like British snow. Hanna (my 3 year old) loves it.

John - your son's father-in-law could speak Sami (Saame) - a language common to the people of Lapland across Finland, Sweden & Norway. But my husband thinks it may be Meänkieli (lit - our own language) which is unique to that area of the Swedish/Finnish border.

I can only be sure of this... if you have the choice, learn Swedish in stead of Finnish - Finnish is a nightmare! :lol:

Mx
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Your husband is correct.

Meänkieli it is.

My son has just sent me this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me%C3%A4nkieli

Which seems to explain quite a lot.

From my daughter-in-law.
The language my father grew up speaking in his home is called “Tornedalian Finish” in Swedish, or in Finish (more commonly used for some reason) Meän Kieli.
Last edited by jhopgood on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

mvgrogan wrote: I can only be sure of this... if you have the choice, learn Swedish in stead of Finnish - Finnish is a nightmare! :lol:
Quenya's linguistic antecedent, I believe!
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Definitely the Finnish side, place called Luosto, about an hour from Rovaniemi.

M, not in Leicester, but one of the factories I am responsible for is there (1 of 3) so I am there 1-2 days a week typically. If you are ever home drop me a note and I will buy you a shandy!!
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

jhopgood wrote:Just sent you a pm on Keith Battarbee, University of Turku.
So, I googled Keith all those months ago and then, being heavily pregnant and easily distracted, I did nothing more about it. Then, today I went to a family service held by the Turku International Congregation and joined everyone for coffee after the service...across the table from me was....Keith!

He & his wife are very involved in the congregation and newly formed sunday school (Ruth, not Keith) and we had a good natter.

Thanks John!
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

mvgrogan wrote:
jhopgood wrote:Just sent you a pm on Keith Battarbee, University of Turku.
So, I googled Keith all those months ago and then, being heavily pregnant and easily distracted, I did nothing more about it. Then, today I went to a family service held by the Turku International Congregation and joined everyone for coffee after the service...across the table from me was....Keith!

He & his wife are very involved in the congregation and newly formed sunday school (Ruth, not Keith) and we had a good natter.

Thanks John!
Excellent. I love these unusual coincidences.
I last saw Keith in about 1963/4
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Saw Ruth & Keith at a party this evening and decided to try & gather together some OBs for next year's Founder's Day dinner! So far we have 3 OBs in Turku and another possible couple in Helsinki.... the hunt is on for more....

Would we need to do anything official to become an OB society? We could be the FOBS!! :lol:

If anyone knows of an OB in Finland, please do put me in touch. Cheers!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

While TBA and I, were in Budapest, we were told that Hungarian and Finnish were allied languages, due to the two sons of Attila--- Buda, having founded his pad on the side of the Danube ---- while t'other went North to establish himself in Finland.
HOWEVER-- I heared on Radio 4 (Impeccable Source) that the closest to Finnish is LITHUANIAN ! :oops:

I am taking TBA to the Arctic Circle on February 21st -------- I know how to treat a Girl
I imagine it will be pitch black, for most of the time ---- but we MIGHT see the Aurora Borealis.

Stick with me kid -- I'll show you a good time !!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:While TBA and I, were in Budapest, we were told that Hungarian and Finnish were allied languages, due to the two sons of Attila--- Buda, having founded his pad on the side of the Danube ---- while t'other went North to establish himself in Finland.
HOWEVER-- I heared on Radio 4 (Impeccable Source) that the closest to Finnish is LITHUANIAN ! :oops:

I am taking TBA to the Arctic Circle on February 21st -------- I know how to treat a Girl

I imagine it will be pitch black, for most of the time ---- but we MIGHT see the Aurora Borealis.

Stick with me kid -- I'll show you a good time !!!

I'm told that this is more fun than being kicked in the Balearics ! :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Wrong end of Finland, Neill, or we could have met up! If you're passing through the south, would be lovely to see you. We're in Turku but Helsinki's not so far away (about a 2 hour drive).

It's brightening up a bit by the end of February - actually very pretty with the sunshine & the snow. Good time of year for the Northern Lights. Cold, though....proper cold.... Where on the Arctic Circle are you going? I went to Rovaniemi many years ago (about 14) and it was nice, but we went in summer... you know Father Christmas lives there... and you can visit him all year round! Beat the rush! :lol:

I think John Hopgood's son is up that way - other side of the border but right general area.

Shame you're not here in September for our St Matthew's Day get-together.