Singapore, Melbourne, Auckland and Fiji

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Hobbit
3rd Former

Singapore, Melbourne, Auckland and Fiji

Post by Hobbit »

This summer i will be travelling to these places and was wondering if anyone has been before and has any good hostels or places to see and do..... all help appreciated.

Cheers 8)
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

when in the summer you going?
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

28th July - 2nd August Singpaore
2rd August - 8th August Melbourne
8th August - 17th Sept Auckland
17th Sept - 24th Sept Fiji
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

oh cool. ill be around then. pm me if you wanna meet up, should hopefully know auckland and be able to show you the sights by then!
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Chuckie
2nd Former

Post by Chuckie »

Craig,
You want to stay in a hostel in Singapore called the Summer Tavern, unbelievable hostel, really friendly and high standards there. Not sure of the exact location I'm afraid, if I was actually there then I could find it blindfolded but I won't be and I can't remember the street! It's in a prime postion to get to anywhere in the city, pretty much slap bang in the middle!
As for things to do, I'd really recommended the orchid garden in Singapore's botanical gardens, they're amazing. Other than that, check out all the regulars, Chinatown, Little India, the Merlion, the Espanlade (their version of the Sydney Opera House). If you want to get cheap electronics, which you should as they have bargain prices and are well ahead in technology, then you should go to Sim Lim Square (which is in fact a tower, not a square). The shopping is good there otherwise, not much cheaper than home but fun all the same. They have this strectch, something similar to our Oxford Rd, which is purely shopping mall after to shopping mall. You'll appreciate the air con in them!
Will have a think for anything else!
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

cheers alot for the advice of where to stay and what to do, it was a great help now all i need to do is work out where to stay in Melbourne......travelling the fun and pain of it all, but sitll i cant wait to go to these places......if anyone is aorund any of these at teh same time, give me a PM and will arrange to meet up
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Make sure you come back here when you're back (or, even better, in an Internet cafe over there!) and make us jealous with all your stories and places you've seen...
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

of course iwll tell stories, becasue in fact tehre is nothig better than gloating.........hehhe, i lvoe travelling and well one thing that almost catches up with it is tell ppl whatvu are doing.
lvesey
3rd Former

Post by lvesey »

Hobbit wrote:cheers alot for the advice of where to stay and what to do, it was a great help now all i need to do is work out where to stay in Melbourne......travelling the fun and pain of it all, but sitll i cant wait to go to these places......if anyone is aorund any of these at teh same time, give me a PM and will arrange to meet up
Go to Sydney instead! There's even a founders day lunch cruise on Sydney harbour (see Roger's post), which is a good day.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

i will also be gloating for a whole year julian!! dont you worry!

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jtaylor wrote:Make sure you come back here when you're back (or, even better, in an Internet cafe over there!) and make us jealous with all your stories and places you've seen...
Singapore Airlines runs a circular bus service aropund the touristy areas of Singapore. If you fly with them show your boarding pass to get a $2 all-day get on and off whenever you like ticket. Other people pay $6 which is good value.

a number of very cheap internet cafes in the Indian village in Singapore. They can also copy camera chips to CD for a song; I never had a problem but I always asked them to remove the CD and then relaod to ensure the copying was complete.
Also some pretty decent pavement cafes in the Indian Village and in Chinatown (where nobody spoke English but menu pictures were enough)

Enjoy
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

lvesey wrote:
Hobbit wrote:cheers alot for the advice of where to stay and what to do, it was a great help now all i need to do is work out where to stay in Melbourne......travelling the fun and pain of it all, but sitll i cant wait to go to these places......if anyone is aorund any of these at teh same time, give me a PM and will arrange to meet up
Go to Sydney instead! There's even a founders day lunch cruise on Sydney harbour (see Roger's post), which is a good day.

Hi

I'm way behind on this thread, having only just found the forum, but I see that you haven't left yet, so ....

Absolutely agree with the comment to go to Sydney rather than Melbourne.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

heh, I loved both places and would have encouraged him to go to both.
Sydney is a show off city, Melbourne seemed to be alot more content and quietly buzzing....

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

I'm afraid that I find Melbourne boring in the extreme, unless I'm there to attend a concert/play that isn't going to find it's way to Adelaide. When the kids were little we always went to visit Phar Lap, at the museum, but I'm not sure where he is now. Plus, the city seems to have more than its fair share of unwashed inhabitants - not living under the railway arches, but commuting on the trams.

Sydney, on the other hand - brash and beautiful. I always squeeze in a trip on the Manly Ferry, and if it's a little rough I'm up at the bows as we cross the heads, getting soaked and squealing my head off with all the Korean tourists :D. Then a walk across from the harbour to the ocean and a cup of exquisite hot chocolate at the terminal before I return.

I love Auckland too - there's something about harbour cities. Do you sail? I have had some of the best times of my life sailing in the Hauraki Gulf - much more fun than the Bay of Islands, in my opinion: partly because it's lit, so you can sail at night.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Ah yes, I see what you mean. Whats Adelaide like? I didnt make it there.
I don't sail, but I do like Auckland alot. Theres something liberating about being so close to all the fabulous things you can do in NZ but also being in a decent city. If you go to Tamaki drive at night and look back to the city it is the most fabulous view ever. I really love it.
I'm not actually there anymore (got back a short while ago) and I'm still pretending I am by not changing my location....

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02