amsterdam

Section for overseas clubs, those planning travel, or those who are currently overseas. Aimed to provide a means of finding who's in your area, offering support or advice to travelling students etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Euterpe13
Button Grecian

amsterdam

Post by Euterpe13 »

just a thought - are there any OBs in the Amsterdam area ? Only I am there from 2nd to 6th December, and could do with some pointers towards the better watering-holes and nosh-joints... ( no pun intended or solicited )
Thanks
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: amsterdam

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:just a thought - are there any OBs in the Amsterdam area ? Only I am there from 2nd to 6th December, and could do with some pointers towards the better watering-holes and nosh-joints... ( no pun intended or solicited )
Thanks
B.
There is a travel section, perhaps this would be better on there.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

englishangel wrote: There is a travel section, perhaps this would be better on there.
Moved - shadow left in original location.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Euterpe13 wrote:just a thought - are there any OBs in the Amsterdam area ? Only I am there from 2nd to 6th December, and could do with some pointers towards the better watering-holes and nosh-joints... ( no pun intended or solicited )
Thanks
B.
Dunno why you want to go there - if you were asking about Zandvoort (which is not too far) I could give you a list a yard long I've been "helped" out of and which are therefore pretty good

:lol:
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Well , I really wanted to go back to Prague , but my daughter ( who is joining me, and is bigger and stronger than I am) couldn't afford the air-faire ... and she's never been to Amsterdam.

I've been there before, but only on business, so no time to do the touristy/bar-hop thing. I know Zandvoort ( lived in Haarlem for 3months yonks ago) , but it's bl**dy cold in December !
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I lived in Amsterdam in the early 80's so probably a lot has changed, but if not, there are two pedestrian streets that are worth looking at.
The Leidsestraat starts at the Leidseplen, where they used to put up an icing rink and where there was the Heiniken Hoek, famous for mussels and beer. Bit of a tourist trap but the Britannia was next to it and served good belgian beer.
There is a bar in Amsterdam which served about 220 different types of beer, most of them belgian bottled but they had about 12 draught beers of various nationalities.
At the other end of the Leidsestraat you will cross the canals, Herengracht, Keizersgracht and Prinsengarcht (I think Anna Frank house is on Prinsengracht) and then you will come to Kalverstraat which is the other pedestrian street. This will lead you to the Dam and eventually the station.
Parallel but on the other side of the canal is the red light district, which apart from the window shopping has one or two interesting museums, Church in the Attic, Jewish Museum.
Use the tram and bus to get around as they run on time and get you close to most things of interest.
I could ramble on for ages since Amsterdam is/was a great place to live, very lively where just about anything went.