So, the underground tunnels...

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Jolyon
GE (Great Erasmus)

good question

Post by Jolyon »

the tube did raise and fall a bit, but I never found a "lower level" of the tube. To be honest considering the fairly robust way in which the tube and most of the rest of the buildings were constructed I suspect a lower level is out of the question.

Because of the problems with there being a second big hole under the foundations of all the boarding houses, the fact that a lower level would have been even more costly (and CH has never been fond of spending money just for the sake of it) and the fact that the tube floods so easily all gave me the impression that there was no "lower level".

On a totally practical point what exactly would a lower level be for?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Well, that's what I thought - but it was what the rumours were...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

i always thought that there were lower elvels that just carried loads more pipes and stuff, but i never saw any and to be honst i really didnt like teh tube, always seemed so wierd and freaky.
tube walking was not a prefered hobby
Cleopatra
2nd Former

Post by Cleopatra »

I heard that the military did chemical research on a group of UF in the 60's which caused incredible mutations. They sealed them into the lower level of the tube, where their hideous grandchildren remain today. Occasionally one of them escapes, but they're usually rounded up quickly, subjected to mind-control drugs, and made to spend the rest of their lives in forced labour as as a "bokker".
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

i heard something similar, they were called the 'Seriously Mutilated Test-patients', later abbreviated, and served a much more key role within CH.
Jolyon
GE (Great Erasmus)

smt

Post by Jolyon »

Does the School Masonic Temple still run stuff? What ever happened to Bob Sillet?

That man was way too connected. He is seriously scary
Lamma looker
3rd Former

Post by Lamma looker »

BTW the school has a long tradition of chemical jokes. In my day the science crowd would mix up some elixir that would explode when put on hot radiators after a short delay. Scared the bejeezus (originally typed something else there) out of whoever was walking past at the time.
Only just caught up with this. It was something made with potassium permanganate. It actually exploded on contact also. Michael Cherniavsky (junior housemaster in LaA) always put his hand on the radiator when he came into the dayroom for house prayers between 1st and 2nd prep. Naturally he was a frequent target but never learnt.
A healthy mind is a sign of a mis-spent youth
menace
3rd Former

Post by menace »

I well remember Cherniavsky - I had him for history for a while. He was promoted to Housemaster of BaB - shock of curly hair and somewhat distracted manner. I believe he is now deceased. Nice guy. Man you go back....
Lamma looker
3rd Former

Post by Lamma looker »

Man you go back....
Don't remind me...

It's surprising what comes crawling out of the memory banks.
menace
3rd Former

Post by menace »

Lamma looker wrote:
Man you go back....
Don't remind me...

It's surprising what comes crawling out of the memory banks.
No kidding - I'd rather not remember some of it though. Was not always happy, unlike our childhood summers which I KNOW were sunny.
Lamma looker
3rd Former

Post by Lamma looker »

menace wrote:
No kidding - I'd rather not remember some of it though. Was not always happy, unlike our childhood summers which I KNOW were sunny.
But it always rained on Sundays...
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

in all seriousness though, when i was at CH i did notice just how much it rained on sundays. anyone know why? :? :?:
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

I might be clutching at straws here, but maybe it was coincidence??!??? :roll:
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Michael Cherniavsky

Post by Rex »

menace wrote:I well remember Cherniavsky - I had him for history for a while. He was promoted to Housemaster of BaB - shock of curly hair and somewhat distracted manner. I believe he is now deceased.
A nice obituary of Michael Cherniavsky by Michael Craton (MA 43-49) is here: http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infoipa/Gaz ... herniavsky
Lamma looker
3rd Former

Post by Lamma looker »

at CH i did notice just how much it rained on sundays. anyone know why?
It was the Ineffable Will to make sure you really appreciated being in Chapel