Fashions in Music at CH

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Our car CD collection currently consists of mostly Beth's (teen) choices - Kate Nash is the current favourite, Lily Allen, James Morrison, Now! vol 59,873, High School Musical, Razorsh!te (can't distinguish between any of their songs), Shania Twain (enough to make me want to slit my wrists but tolerance is something I've had to learn as parent - can we have that one again, please mum). Occasionally a few of our choices slip through the net - Michael Buble, Jamiroquai, Purcell and Byrd's masses for various voices - and to restore the balance (or from the sublime to the ridiculous?) is Cora's tape, recorded by a friend, with Ernie the Fastest Milkman, teddy bears' picnic, The Banana Boat song, Robin Hood, Bing Crosby singing The Runaway Train, Danny Kaye's Ugly Duckling and various other nostalgic gems. My ultimate fave, which I would like at my funeral, is Bernard Cribbins singing Right Said Fred. http://www.gladding.com/rsf/Right_Said_Fred.mp3
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

cstegerlewis wrote: 'Hopes and Fears' - Keane,
M'lud I refer my learned colleague to the comments made previously referring to taste in music and I have to say people in glass houses.....
cstegerlewis wrote: That reminds me, still need to get some digital Spear of Destiny ......
If you get stuck (and it's not breaking forum rules to offer) then i can hook you up with some.
cj wrote: Razorsh!te (can't distinguish between any of their songs)
Does anyone with taste like these tw**s
Barnes B / Mid A
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

cj wrote:My ultimate fave, which I would like at my funeral, is Bernard Cribbins singing Right Said Fred. http://www.gladding.com/rsf/Right_Said_Fred.mp3
I was sure this was going to be Bernard singing I'm too sexy but alas no and while this version is truly great I think my idea is better.
Barnes B / Mid A
Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Ash »

adlop wrote:It has been good to catch up, must admit one thing i especially liked on your site was that you are wearing a Galaxie 500 t-shirt. Class.
They are just class... On Fire is stil one of my faves...

There is some good newish shoegaze about.. Have you checked out people like The Black Angels, M83 and also Asobi Seksu? Not bad at all.. Also, recent Mercury prize nominees Maps are in the right sort of direction..

Wasn't that Boss album The Seeger Sessions... ??
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Ash wrote:Wasn't that Boss album The Seeger Sessions... ??
No. He did contribute to The Seeger Sessions, but the album I was referring to was correctly identified by Kay as being 'We Shall Overcome'. Despite the title, it is not a compilation of Pete's songs.

xx
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Perplexed -

Post by Angela Woodford »

Shoegazing :?: :?: :?:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

adlop wrote:
cstegerlewis wrote: 'Hopes and Fears' - Keane,
M'lud I refer my learned colleague to the comments made previously referring to taste in music and I have to say people in glass houses.....
Why did you think I didn't take you up on your previous offer...............but I could mention 'Off the Wall'

My reason for buying it is having been stuck on the top deck of a Virgin Atlantic in New York for 2 hours with 'Everything Changes', Air, and Garbage's 'Stupid Girl' on loop with no drinks or refreshments or air conditioning rant rant rant.......I found the songs stuck in my head, so bought the CD's

Therefore Guilty as Charges m'lud
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

I still don't know what "shoegazing" may mean!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Most of this music talk is far too modern for the likes of me but I believe some if not all of the members of "Keane" were educated at Tonbridge School, almer mater of the Cowdrey dynasty for the benefit of any cricket fans.

I'm with Angela on the shoegazing thing.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

cstegerlewis wrote:My reason for buying it is having been stuck on the top deck of a Virgin Atlantic in New York for 2 hours with 'Everything Changes', Air, and Garbage's 'Stupid Girl' on loop with no drinks or refreshments or air conditioning rant rant rant.......I found the songs stuck in my head, so bought the CD's

Therefore Guilty as Charges m'lud
I certainly can't spell the song's name nor the singer's name but I was similarly exposed to Gignola Cinquetti singing "No, no letat" or summat like that after it won the Eurovision Song contest in 1963. Every day for months and it would be roaring out of every window in Gib. I couldn't get the record - I didn't have a player, but years later I had a similar experience with another chart topper "Sej inte nej" which I did buy
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

No, non ho l'eta or something, and the bl00dy tune still hits me in the shower of a morning. Can't understand ANYTHNG on the rest of this thread though.

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

adlop wrote:
cj wrote:My ultimate fave, which I would like at my funeral, is Bernard Cribbins singing Right Said Fred. http://www.gladding.com/rsf/Right_Said_Fred.mp3
I was sure this was going to be Bernard singing I'm too sexy but alas no and while this version is truly great I think my idea is better.
I'm too upset to consider a more complete reply ... Image
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

Angela Woodford wrote:I still don't know what "shoegazing" may mean!
Shoegazing is a genre of alternative rock that emerged from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s. It lasted until the mid 1990s, peaking circa 1990 to 1991. The British music press (notably NME and Melody Maker) called this genre "shoegazing" because the musicians in these bands often maintained a motionless performing style—standing on stage and staring at the floor while playing their instruments, hence the idea that they were gazing at their shoes. The shoegazing sound featured extensive use of guitar effects, and indistinguishable vocal melodies that blended into the creative noise of the guitars. Common musical elements in shoegazing are distortion (aka "fuzzbox"), droning riffs and a "wall of sound" from noisy guitars. Typically, two distorted rhythm guitars are played together to give an amorphous quality to the sound. Although lead guitar riffs were often present, they were not the central focus of most shoegazing songs.
Ash wrote:here is some good newish shoegaze about.. Have you checked out people like The Black Angels, M83 and also Asobi Seksu? Not bad at all.. Also, recent Mercury prize nominees Maps are in the right sort of direction..
Got all the M83 stuff, Asobi Seksu and Maps too, not heard The Black angels. Have you heard Ringo Deathstarr? I actually thought it was a long lost Jesus and Mary Chain track. Also I recently found The Swirlies who were around the last time but passed me by. There is a good compilation called Blisscent of nu-gaze if you hunt around.
cstegerlewis wrote: I could mention 'Off the Wall'
Do you mean the Michael Jackson one? That's not me, I did quite like Thriller for a while but that's the only stuff by him i liked. I've had some dodgy taste but that one isn't one of them.
Barnes B / Mid A
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Ray Davis

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Someone came up with the descriptor 'cherry cola' for a wine last week, so I have, of course, had 'Lola' running through my head continuously since then.

Which reminded me that I had seen a programme about Ray Davis recently. He performed several Kinks songs in acoustic mode, and, somewhat to my surprise, I found his voice and the songs really pleasing without Dave Davies rampant guitar.

I have unsuccesfully Googled and Amazoned to find a DVD or CD of the programme, or just the songs. Does anyone know whether there are plans to release Ray Unplugged?

xx
I might walk like a woman, but ..........................
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Lola. Lololololola.

Caroline you have done it again! How long before I can get this out of my head? :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Now I understand about shoegazing - thank you.

Ringo Deathstarr! :lol: :lol: :lol: