MEMORABLE THEATRE OR MUSIC CONCERT AT CH

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: MEMORABLE THEATRE OR MUSIC CONCERT AT CH

Post by michael scuffil »

I can give you a few more.

Julius Caesar in 1956, I forget who was himself, but I think John Watts was Portia.
Macbeth in 1957, John Watts was M. and a guy named Hooper gave a memorable performance as the Porter.
Twelfth Night in 1958, John Watts as Malvolio
(the above two maybe the other way around?)
A Midsummer Night's Dream produced by JD in 1962, went on tour to Holland, with Salkin as Bottom
Henry V produced by Tim Law in 1963
That must mean Henry IV pt 1 in 1961, with Salkin as Falstaff
And I think Taming of the Shrew in 1960, with Richard Payne as the Shrew and Bill Butler as the Tamer.
Some of the above were produced by David Herbert, some by JD, but I can't remember which were which.
There was also a Richard II, presumably in 1959. The scenery collapsed at the performance I went to.
The year before I arrived, Monsignor Bruce Harbert (as now is) is said to have given a frisky performance of Ariel in The Tempest.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:I can give you a few more.

Julius Caesar in 1956, I forget who was himself, but I think John Watts was Portia.
Macbeth in 1957, John Watts was M. and a guy named Hooper gave a memorable performance as the Porter.
Twelfth Night in 1958, John Watts as Malvolio
(the above two maybe the other way around?)
A Midsummer Night's Dream produced by JD in 1962, went on tour to Holland, with Salkin as Bottom
Henry V produced by Tim Law in 1963
That must mean Henry IV pt 1 in 1961, with Salkin as Falstaff
And I think Taming of the Shrew in 1960, with Richard Payne as the Shrew and Bill Butler as the Tamer.
Some of the above were produced by David Herbert, some by JD, but I can't remember which were which.
There was also a Richard II, presumably in 1959. The scenery collapsed at the performance I went to.
The year before I arrived, Monsignor Bruce Harbert (as now is) is said to have given a frisky performance of Ariel in The Tempest.

I know that in my first year when in Prep B in January 1958, I'm sure we all trooped up to Big-School to see 'Macbeth' A freezing cold night and my introduction to Shakespeare.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Adrian
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Adrian »

First post.

I remember being in the production of Cain, particularly the tower of Babel bit, and the rubbish record by Visitor 2035 ... but I mainly avoided school productions.

I would go and watch absolutely every professional production at the theatre, partly because I was in love with a master's daughter (who will remain nameless) who served refreshments, partly because there was some really excellent productions that I feel privileged to have seen, and partly because it was always preferable to study.

Initial memories are seeing Rowan Atkinson, Mel Smith, and Griff Rhys Jones in a touring comedy group, and a scene where Griff wears nothing but an oversized tie. A dance company where one of the ladies does cartwheels, to the gasps of all the schoolboys when they realise she's wearing no knickers. A production of The Devils which featured copious amounts of nudity.

Oh dear, it seems that all my initial memories of the theatre involve nudity. That's all boys boarding schools for you I guess!
Maine A; Peele A 75-82
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Adrian wrote:First post.

I remember being in the production of Cain, particularly the tower of Babel bit, and the rubbish record by Visitor 2035 ... but I mainly avoided school productions.

I would go and watch absolutely every professional production at the theatre, partly because I was in love with a master's daughter (who will remain nameless) who served refreshments, partly because there was some really excellent productions that I feel privileged to have seen, and partly because it was always preferable to study.

Initial memories are seeing Rowan Atkinson, Mel Smith, and Griff Rhys Jones in a touring comedy group, and a scene where Griff wears nothing but an oversized tie. A dance company where one of the ladies does cartwheels, to the gasps of all the schoolboys when they realise she's wearing no knickers. A production of The Devils which featured copious amounts of nudity.

Oh dear, it seems that all my initial memories of the theatre involve nudity. That's all boys boarding schools for you I guess!

How times have changed since my days at Horsham !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.