Pocket money, Nausea and more

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: Pocket money, Nausea and more

Post by jhopgood »

J.R. wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:39 pm
jhopgood wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:35 am Definitely payment in my day but I don’t recall how much. 15 florins seems a lot, all in one go, but I used to get one florin as a choir boy at weddings before I went to CH, so maybe it wasn’t that much.
I was a swab for my second two terms to Launchfield, the Trades Monitor, and the all of my second year to Robbins, who had the second study.
Compared to my duties at home it was no big deal, got me off trades and I got paid.
I was swab to an American one year student named Flynn in Col B. 30 bob sounds right. He later became a US Judge.
Didn’t he introduce CH to basketball?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:55 pm
jhopgood wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:35 am Definitely payment in my day but I don’t recall how much. 15 florins seems a lot, all in one go, but I used to get one florin as a choir boy at weddings before I went to CH, so maybe it wasn’t that much.
I was a swab for my second two terms to Launchfield, the Trades Monitor, and the all of my second year to Robbins, who had the second study.
Compared to my duties at home it was no big deal, got me off trades and I got paid.
I was swab to an American one year student named Flynn in Col B. 30 bob sounds right. He later became a US Judge.
I honestly can't remember John. He tended to keep to his own peer-group, as I recall.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

What did I spend my pocket money on? Around 1958 I exited the tuck shop with a fat slice of white bread slathered with butter. It cost about one penny in Mrs Tickner's tuck shop. I overhead two local workman who were working on the roof of the tuckshop say: "Why do these boys buy a slice of bread and butter in a tuckshop?" Answer, guys? Because it was cheap, filling and at least recognisable compared to what we often got in the dining hall. As George Orwell wrote many years before this: the average working class home still served more plain, wholesome food than the average English public school.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Certainly it was about that time when an American import introduced basketball which became "the rage". I can remember spending a lot of time playing and more time practicing in the gym. Definitely a good introduction
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

brian walling wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:45 am I was in Maine A shortly after your date (1953-60), but I don't recall any local rules similar to what you describe. Of course at that time Ma A had much more easy-going housemasters (Senior HM Tod/Barker, Junior HM Jesson-Dibley/Whitfeld) than La A under ALJ.

Pocket money: I couldn't remember the amounts, so I looked at the joining instructions sent to my parents in July 1953, which I still have, and I found the answer - at least the answer for 1953. It was minimum 30/- (£1.50) per term, which works out at about 2/6 (12.5p) per week. I remember that the frugal among us used to spend much less than that and so went home at the end of term with a tidy amount of savings in pocket.

Among all the various instruction sheets that I have now just re-read for the first time in 67 years, there is an interesting list of "OTHER NECESSARIES" that we were asked to bring (in addition to the various items of sports clothing, Cash's name tapes, etc). Some of these items were barely familiar to me at that time. I still don't know what a playbox is or was (see item 11.)

"
OTHER NECESSARIES

1. Holy Bible
2. Book of Common Prayer
3. Hairbrush and Comb
4. Twelve Handkerchiefs (large)
5. Tooth Brush and Paste.
6. Clothes Brush
7. Nailbrush, nail scissors
8. Sponge bag and flannel
9. 1 pair stout House Slippers.
(not bedroom slippers)
10. A handcase for pyjamas,
washing materials and
slippers on the first
night of term. One
pair of pyjamas must be
brought for the first week
of term - these will be
returned.
11. A trunk (not a suitcase),
large enough to accommodate
the boy's clothes, etc., for
the vacation. Playboxes are
not allowed, each boy being
provided with a locker.

Dressing-Gowns are not necessary.
"
i can still quote the 1981 list

3 rugby shirts, white, blue , house
2 blue rugby shorts
2 pairs blue rugby socks
1 gym shirt
1 pair white gym shorts
2 pairs trainers (1 inside with non marking soles)
1 Pair Rugby Boots
1 Pair wellies
Wash kit
2 flannels hanging loop in cente
Slippers
Shoe cleaning kit
12 cotton hankerchiefs
Bible
Dictionary
Blanket (optional)
All to be securely named with Name tapes( Cash No9 in Red - Name - House and number)

I dont think i ever owned a gym shirt though and at the time i think recommended junior house pocket money was £5 a term
Martin
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Martin »

I think it’s worth emphasising that between the 50s and the 80s, parents had the additional expense of all games clothing (from comparison between the lists of Brian Walling and Wurzel) for by the 80s they had to buy

3 rugby shirts, white, blue, house
2 blue rugby shorts
2 pairs blue rugby socks
1 gym shirt
1 pair white gym shorts
2 pairs trainers (1 inside with non marking soles)
1 Pair Rugby Boots
1 Pair wellies
Presumably there were additional expenses in the summer term for cricket clothing.

I’m surprised CH needed the additional funds in those years. I suspect today’s list of necessaries still contains all these items; perhaps with more added during the last 40 years.

Are there parents today who cannot afford pocket money (as described above) and if so can they get aid for the expenses of games’ clothing?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I cannot comment as to whom introduced CH to basketball.

However, just as he did with Association Football, Bob Hailey picked up the baton on the organisational side and basketball was a regular activity during my time and, although not involved myself in these, I believe there were even fixtures with other schools.

I am digressing from pocket money and nausea!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72