Housey Slang.....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Mike B
2nd Former

Re: Boomer

Post by Mike B »

'I remember Mike Carrington very well, his nickname was 'Des' in those days which joins a long line of names for which I have no explanation whatsoever. '

He was Des to us in Ma B in the early sixties or Desmond, with an emphasis on the 'mond' - a supposed imitation of his accent. His physique seemed awe-inspiring at the time, those little white shorts clinging to his beefy thighs as he took the rugby field. Not to mention the way the athletics track seemed to shudder under his feet as he pounded the cinders. As a house master he let us watch the Tokyo Olympics on his TV, put up with our less than witty table repartee and helped mount house plays. And, now you mention it, he did go puce and lose his rag on occasions. I trust he's enjoying a mellow retirement.
tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

norm

Post by tobeconfirmed »

I'm wondering where the cuss 'norm' or 'norman' comes from, imperatively combined with that weird throatal noise. It's still going strong in CH in 2005.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

At least you still use the word 'cussing' and cuss!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Is "Keeping Cave" still used - our Latin education coming through there!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Hobbit
3rd Former

Post by Hobbit »

keeping cave......well never said during my stay, but we usedkeeping KV, so u would shout KV if a staff meember was coming.....so thates where it coems from we thought it could of been somehting to do with Mr Kemp, but then u had kemping (walking fast) as well so wqell alll seems that it has goone, i remember when asking for the kif at teh table was the nrom now u just get asked for the jug. hmmm i speak like it was ages ago when only 3 years ago i was htere......nostalga....am i to young for uit???
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Found this after a quick google:-
"keep cave" - keep a look-out, keep watch. Cave in Latin means beware (as in cave canem, beware of the dog), and until recently children used it as Stalky does.
from
http://www.kipling.org.uk/rg_unsavoury_notes.htm
keeping cave......well never said during my stay, but we usedkeeping KV, so u would shout KV if a staff meember was coming
:lol: at "KV"! it's the equivalent of people putting "COV" as their religion on hospital intake forms, referring to CofE for Church of England! (i.e. "Just put COV, that's everyone else does")

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by tobeconfirmed »

Is "Keeping Cave" still used - our Latin education coming through there!
Keeping 'KV' was still used just as regularly as always, up until about 2 or 3 years ago, when open dorms completely died out. People still say it though when the teacher's out of the classroom, and you start messing around, and someone says 'KV' as a warning.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Jenny L-C wrote:someone said that outside a latin lesson once and Mr Kemp found it hilarious...then he said "when you are speaking to a group, it's 'cavate'"
'cavete', surely?

Sorry to be pedantic....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Oh you Latin scholars you...
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Re: norm

Post by FrogBoxed »

tbs wrote:I'm wondering where the cuss 'norm' or 'norman' comes from, imperatively combined with that weird throatal noise. It's still going strong in CH in 2005.
:lol: That one appeared in everyday parlance during my CH years. I think it had to do with an advert that featured a spoddy looking bloke with glasses, sleeveless jumper and a Parker coat. Of course it might have referred to someone at the school, but if it did, I don't recall...

Anyway, we used to use it when someone did something really square. You'd make the funy throaty noise and then say "Norman"!

Does anyone still shout "Ma-a-ah" and then "guilty conscience" if anyone turns around? I think it's a shortened version of "milky" (see above). That, and variations on the accusation shouted, were favourites of ours. :twisted:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Ha, I always remember shouting maaaaahhhhh!
marty
Grecian

mongy

Post by marty »

does anyone have an idea of how to spell the noise we used to make for Mongy ? it was sort of a phlegmy sound....
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I'd be going for BBBGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

or soemthing like that...
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

Great Plum wrote:I'd be going for BBBGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Woah freaky... it's like he's actually here :shock:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

FrogBoxed wrote:
Great Plum wrote:I'd be going for BBBGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Woah freaky... it's like he's actually here :shock:
There are so many stories about Chemistry in his lab! He had no fear!