House numbers

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I suppose we must have had Cash's tapes for the things we provided, what I do remember more are the tapes marked 6.14 in marking ink.

I don't know whether it was the Hag's idea or someone else's but when we were provided with scarves in House colours we just cross stitched our number in a corner in matching thread so it hardly showed. That was a GOOD idea, whoever it was!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

ben ashton wrote:i got the same house number as my great grand nursemaid whose sister went to the same primary school and was in the same year as me...odd?
Strange indeed!. .... but is this a recognised post? I cannot now remember there being such a thing in my day.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I have in the boot of my car the blanket I used at CH with the cash's name tape still intact showing my name and house number.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

doubt it but makes sense! using ben-logic anyway..and his name was also ben :-o
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We didn't have our names on anything, just our house numbers. But we didn't have to supply tapes either.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:We didn't have our names on anything, just our house numbers. But we didn't have to supply tapes either.
Surely we marked our suspender belts etc - did we have more than one -were they ever washed - I cannot remember the answers to any of these questions!!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Suspender Belts

Post by Angela Woodford »

I'm sure we didn't mark our suspender belts, since we provided our own, and rinsed them out when necessary. A garment would stiffen to a horrible degree when dried (baked) on the dorm radiator.

Love

Munch
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:We didn't have our names on anything, just our house numbers. But we didn't have to supply tapes either.
Surely we marked our suspender belts etc - did we have more than one -were they ever washed - I cannot remember the answers to any of these questions!!!
I think we washed them ourselves; they didn't go to the laundry. I only had one (with purple gingham trimming!), and washed it overnight. If it was still wet in the morning then I wore it anyway.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

P S

Post by Angela Woodford »

We could also dry small articles on the slats in the Airing Room. The wooden slats had a really horrible smell when a damp item was placed on them. Sniff!
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

MKM wrote:I think we washed them ourselves; they didn't go to the laundry.
I'm sure we washed them ourselves though can't remember what with - would it be carbolic soap from "down the end" or did we have some soapflakes or something??
I can remember washing stockings too in the same manner, and often putting them on still wet the next morning (in winter!).

Alex I was amazed when you said Hertford was WARM. Not in my memories it wasn't!!!! Maybe three years in Singapore had unhinged my internal thermostat.

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think I used Dreft in a green Tupperware bottle. I had two, a white satin one with a pink bow (bought by an aunt) and a white broderie anglaise one.

I do remember putting on wet stockings though, or one wet and one dry,I always seemed to only have 3.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Washing underwear by hand was still in force the last 2 years before Hertford closed down. I regale this tale to daughter no. 1 aged 12 years repeatedly as I'm sewing on her name tapes to try and make her realise that she has it easy! We did wear suspenders sometimes at Horsham, but they would never have gone into the school laundry. Washing machines were installed in the girls houses, and when the downstairs changing areas were converted, a drying room was built, but stuff would get nicked if it was left down there too long.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

DavebytheSea wrote:
ben ashton wrote:i got the same house number as my great grand nursemaid whose sister went to the same primary school and was in the same year as me...odd?
Strange indeed!. .... but is this a recognised post? I cannot now remember there being such a thing in my day.
Well, it wasn't a recognised post, but your 'grand nursemaid' was your nursemaid's nursemaid etc etc...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

cj wrote:We did wear suspenders sometimes at Horsham, but they would never have gone into the school laundry. Washing machines were installed in the girls houses, and when the downstairs changing areas were converted, a drying room was built, but stuff would get nicked if it was left down there too long.
I didn't know that he was prowling around Hertford. There's words for people like him such as religious sexual maniac / agnostic pagan / potential for certification. (Sorry, Barbara - you don't come close)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
cj wrote:We did wear suspenders sometimes at Horsham, but they would never have gone into the school laundry. Washing machines were installed in the girls houses, and when the downstairs changing areas were converted, a drying room was built, but stuff would get nicked if it was left down there too long.
I didn't know that he was prowling around Hertford. There's words for people like him such as religious sexual maniac / agnostic pagan / potential for certification. (Sorry, Barbara - you don't come close)
I could embellish on your second highlighted quote, but would probably encounter the wrath of the Hertford crew, David !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.