Brexit

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Brexit

Post by sejintenej »

time please wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:37 am I have still been thinking about what is good with Brexit and realised that we have all missed a very important fact: In the UK one will be hopefully in the near future be able to buy more powerful Hoovers, not the somewhat weaker types found in Europe.

We had a big problem with the globular Euro hoover; the suction was so strong it couldn't be moved. Eventually got a different one

2 litres of spirits. ..............Well maybe sej inte nej ( kanske kanske ) is wrong ......
Wouldn't be the first time. As for the almost Swedish (I deliberately changed it) I hope that that is what you tell your daughters. :wink: :wink: :wink:
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Interesting stuff, make of it what you will:

Nearly a quarter (23%) of UK exporters to the EU have said they plan on reducing or eliminating their activity in the bloc in the next 12 months, following the ratification of the UK-EU Trade and Co-operation Agreement. That's according to results from the latest British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) survey, in partnership with Moneycorp. Meanwhile, 44% UK to EU exporters said they plan to increase activity in the market and 27% will consolidate rather than grow. A further 10% plan to have no activity in the EU, and 13% will decrease activity. Fieldwork for the survey, which received 1,024 responses from UK firms overall, 466 of whom were exporters to the EU, was undertaken between 18 and 31 January 2021. Overall it found, six in 10 UK firms plan to increase activity in the domestic market. 28% said they will consolidate rather than grow, 2% said they have no plans to be active in the UK market, and 5% will decrease activity. Among these, UK manufacturers (68%) and business-to-business (‘B2B’) service sectors firms (63%) – such as finance, legal, or marketing firms – are more likely to expect to increase domestic activity. Under half (44%) of current UK exporters to the EU either have concrete plans for growth or intend to grow without concrete plans. 27% will consolidate rather than grow. By contrast, nearly a quarter (23%) of UK exporters to the EU either have no plans for activity in the EU export market (10%) or plan to decrease their activity in the EU export market (13%) over the next twelve months. This follows BCC research released on 11 February which found that 49% of exporters are facing difficulties adapting to changes in the trade of goods with the EU. One-fifth (21%) of firms say currency risk is more of a concern than two years ago. Manufacturers (28%) are more likely to report concerns.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I read (in some outlets) that Northern Ireland would be better off joining the Republic in order to remain in the EU. This seems unlikely to me. Arlene Foster says that she would rather move to England than become part of Southern Ireland. We haven't responded yet to say whether we'd actually want her. I personally suspect that the massed ranks of the accordion players would rather die of hunger in a ditch, still desperately squeezing out the last strains of Onward Christian Soldiers from their instruments, than have to join the Catty ******** in the South. Even as the final morsels have disappeared from the shelves of Belfast Tesco. No surrender! But perhaps only someone like Banker Brown can fill us in as to the state of opinion among the Proddy ******** in the North. If only from his eyrie in deepest Essex.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:58 pm Perhaps only someone like Banker Brown can fill us in as to the state If only from his 80 feet asl eyrie in highest Essex.
At least I got my second jab yesterday which wouldn't have been allowed (or available) in the EU. Seeing the terror where I used to live ........and perhaps Rockfreak can fill us in on the £160,000,000 Kremlin cum Mausoleum built by their hoi polloi and for the top non-workers?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Onward Proddy b*stards, marching as to war,
With the cross of Paisley going on before.
Foster our royal mistress leads against the foe,
Forward singing "F*ck the Pope", see our banners go!

Anyone else wanting to contribute more verses is welcome.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:58 pm I read (in some outlets) that Northern Ireland would be better off joining the Republic in order to remain in the EU. This seems unlikely to me. Arlene Foster says that she would rather move to England than become part of Southern Ireland.
If you really want to cause a bl**dy (as in a lot of the red liquid) battle just remind them that they are all citizens of the Republic of Ireland, (as I am) and they can't do anything about it!,
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

sejintenej wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:57 pm
If you really want to cause a bl**dy (as in a lot of the red liquid) battle just remind them that they are all citizens of the Republic of Ireland, (as I am) and they can't do anything about it!,
Not true, someone born in the island of Ireland including Northern Ireland is automatically an Irish citizen only if he or she is not entitled to the citizenship of any other country but is entitled to be an Irish citizen if at least one of his or her parents is:
  • an Irish citizen (or someone entitled to be an Irish citizen)
    a British citizen
    a resident of the island of Ireland who is entitled to reside in either the Republic or in Northern Ireland without any time limit on that residence
    a legal resident of the island of Ireland for three out of the 4 years preceding the child's birth
Dual citizenship is permitted under Irish nationality law.

Different rules apply for people with different dates of birth but a British Citizen born in or residing in Northern Ireland like most Northern Irish Unionists is not automatically an Irish citizen and would have to apply for citizenship like anyone else with such an entitlement. Interestingly, as it provides a route to retaining EU citizenship I expect we'll now see a flourish of more moderate Unionists applying for Irish citizenship just like other British citizens (including me).
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

loringa wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:03 pm I expect we'll now see a flourish of more moderate Unionists applying for Irish citizenship just like other British citizens (including me).
It started a long time ago. When I applied for a copy of my mother's birth certificate (for a different reason) they used the wrong second "christian" name" for a very understandable reason. When I spoke to Dublin the young lady suggested that I wanted it to apply for my passport as well - I have a very English accent. Very efficient office there but I suspect overwhelmed.
I now have two birth certificates for the same person but different names!
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

loringa wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:03 pm Not true, someone born in the island of Ireland including Northern Ireland is automatically an Irish citizen only if he or she is not entitled to the citizenship of any other country but is entitled to be an Irish citizen if at least one of his or her parents is:
  • an Irish citizen (or someone entitled to be an Irish citizen)
    a British citizen
    a resident of the island of Ireland who is entitled to reside in either the Republic or in Northern Ireland without any time limit on that residence
    a legal resident of the island of Ireland for three out of the 4 years preceding the child's birth
This applies to anyone born in or after 2005, when Ireland became the last country in Europe to abolish unconditional "jus soli" (unconditional entitlement to the citizenship of the country you were born in). Anyone born anywhere on the island of Ireland before 2005 is automatically an Irish citizen under Irish law (although, of course, they have no obligation to obtain an Irish passport if they choose not to, e.g. people from Northern Ireland who identify as solely British). https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship

There is an interesting story of why Ireland abolished jus soli: a Chinese woman living in mainland UK, who held a temporary UK residence permit, deliberately travelled to Belfast to give birth, so that her daughter would automatically be an Irish citizen. This way, the parents were entitled to indefinite leave to remain in the UK, as the guardians of a dependent EU citizen. There was reaction in Ireland to this loophole, and subsequently the constitution was amended so that someone born in Ireland is now only an Irish citizen if they satisfy the criteria you listed.

It's interesting to look on a map of the world of the countries with jus soli and those without. Virtually all of the Americas (North and South) have unconditional jus soli, while it has been abolished almost everywhere else. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

For what it's worth, the UK abolished unconditional jus soli in 1983. There have been some tragic stories of siblings born to foreign parents, with one sibling born in 1982 and the other in 1983, the elder of whom is automatically a UK citizen by birthplace and the younger of whom is not, and has faced deportation despite the UK having been their only home, because their parents didn't meet the criteria when they were born (i.e. if you were born in the UK in or after 1983, you are only British if one of your parents was (a) British, (b) had permanent residence when you were born, or (c) if you'd otherwise be stateless).
Last edited by Otter on Thu May 13, 2021 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Otter wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:29 pm
There is an interesting story of why Ireland abolished jus soli: a Chinese woman living in mainland UK, who held a temporary UK residence permit, deliberately travelled to Belfast to give birth, so that her daughter would automatically be an Irish citizen. This way, the parents were entitled to indefinite leave to remain in the UK, as the guardians of a dependent EU citizen. There was reaction in Ireland to this loophole, and subsequently the constitution was amended so that someone born in Ireland is now only an Irish citizen if they satisfy the criteria you listed.

It's interesting to look on a map of the world of the countries with jus soli and those without. Virtually all of the Americas (North and South) have unconditional jus soli, while it has been abolished almost everywhere else. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

For what it's worth, the UK abolished unconditional jus soli in 1983. There have been some tragic stories of siblings born to foreign parents, with one sibling born in 1982 and the other in 1983, the elder of whom is automatically a UK citizen by birthplace and the younger of whom is not, and has faced deportation despite the UK having been their only home, because their parents didn't meet the criteria when they were born (i.e. if you were born in or after 1983 in the UK to two non-British parents, you are only British if one of your parents was (a) British, (b) had permanent residence when you were born, or (c) if you'd otherwise be stateless).
Jus soli and Jus sanguinis - thank you Otter; every day's a school day and now I know why I can't claim Maltese citizenship even though I have a Maltese birth certificate! Obviously I could if I was a rich Russian oligarch but that's a different matter ...
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Thank you, Otter, very interesting. I see my son could claim Pakistani citizenship, I don’t think he has any plans to do so!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:33 pm Thank you, Otter, very interesting. I see my son could claim Pakistani citizenship, I don’t think he has any plans to do so!
I am just trying to work out the nationality of the (legendary?) man born on a cross channel ferry. Registration of the ship? port of embarkation of mother? Destination? parentage? and what about getting off the ship with no passport? The mind boggles. (I know - mummy shouldn't have been traveling in her condition)
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

loringa wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:14 pm Jus soli and Jus sanguinis - thank you Otter; every day's a school day and now I know why I can't claim Maltese citizenship even though I have a Maltese birth certificate! Obviously I could if I was a rich Russian oligarch but that's a different matter ...
Katharine wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:33 pm Thank you, Otter, very interesting. I see my son could claim Pakistani citizenship, I don’t think he has any plans to do so!
I saw a hypothetical dinner party (remember those?) question recently that asked you to name the topics on which you could speak uninterrupted for 20 minutes with no notes and no prior warning. The history, concept and politics of citizenship is one of those for me!

I'm sure we all have our topics, quite often fairly random with little or no connection to our personal or professional lives, where you find yourself going on for some time about something that you find fascinating, while trying not to bore those in your company.
sejintenej wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:48 pm I am just trying to work out the nationality of the (legendary?) man born on a cross channel ferry. Registration of the ship? port of embarkation of mother? Destination? parentage? and what about getting off the ship with no passport? The mind boggles. (I know - mummy shouldn't have been traveling in her condition)
I know the jurisdiction on an aeroplane is usually the one from which the plane took off, until the wheels touch the ground at the destination jursidiction - unless the airline is established under the jurisdiction of the destination, or if immigration pre-clearance has taken place before take-off, and a few other exceptions. Many of the announcements on European airlines' flights to the US about how "federal law prohibits bla and bla on board" are BS until you touch down stateside.

Being born on a ferry, who knows. I guess it would depend on in whose waters and on the jus sanguinis rules of the parents' countries of citizenship!
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Just in case anyone missed the announcement we have soon to receive another valuable benefit from leaving the EU: the big 3 telecommunications companies are reintroducing roaming charges for British travellers to the EU (and vice versa). The sunlit uplands are getting nearer and nearer!!

... or will those who supported Brexit, of whom there now seem to be fewer and fewer prepared to hold up their hand, blame it on Covid?
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

loringa wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:45 pmthe big 3 telecommunications companies are reintroducing roaming charges for British travellers to the EU (and vice versa).
Well, for a few years now they've been asking for examples of red tape they can set fire to, and now they've found some.

It should also be noted that Lord Hannan voted against removing roaming charges when he was an MEP (made a lot of pretty speeches about it too), so it looks like this is a double win - some red tape removed and an EU ruling that not all UK MEPs voted for done away with, so this is not just a Brexit benefit, this is a Brexit double benefit!
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96