Corporate corner (incorporating management bollox-speak)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Katharine wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:I think this use of nouns as verbs is a primarily American habit, isn't it?
If anyone has any examples please feel free to name and shame.
Perhaps not corporate speak but a lovely example of this happened to us in Malaysia. Our family were staying in a rest house and for breakfast ordered 3 full breakfast and one just ceral and toast. The waiter came to lay the table and looking at us asked the simple question 'Cornflaking?'
Lucky you weren't having lunch with pork on the menu....... :oops:
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

loringa wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:Oh yes, another pet hate - I think this use of nouns as verbs is a primarily American habit, isn't it?
I assume it's known as verbising.
:lol:

Wouldn't the Yanks use a 'z' - verbizing?

Or am I imaginizing......?

cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Richard Ruck wrote:
loringa wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:Oh yes, another pet hate - I think this use of nouns as verbs is a primarily American habit, isn't it?
I assume it's known as verbising.

Stop it! You're starting to sound like George Bush II, our dearest cousin across the pond. Even yesterday, when commenting on the Egyptian bomb attacks he remarked that it was a 'heinious' crime. Ah, bless ... :oops:
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

cj wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:
loringa wrote: I assume it's known as verbising.

Stop it! You're starting to sound like George Bush II, our dearest cousin across the pond. Even yesterday, when commenting on the Egyptian bomb attacks he remarked that it was a 'heinious' crime. Ah, bless ... :oops:
Well, as long as he stops Iran developing "nucular" weapons.....

cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Indeed, or prevents burgulars from doing their dastardly deeds on homeland soil.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
matthew
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by matthew »

Richard Ruck wrote: :lol:

It's often known as 'verbing'.

As in 'verbing weirds language'.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

matthew wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote: :lol:

It's often known as 'verbing'.

As in 'verbing weirds language'.
It does indeed!

Thanks for that - I'll make sure I never utterance it!

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Seen this morning at the local surgery a new touch screen, the notice above said 'Please arrive yourself for your appointment'

I hadn't intended sending anyone else for my appointment! We have not, yet, had our fingerprints recorde but presumably it will happen soon.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm going to have to search the web. I used to have a list of signs seen in various hotels and establishments from around the world.

It was HILARIOUS !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

How to Stay Awake in Boring Meetings

Do you keep falling asleep in meetings and seminars? What about those long and boring conference calls? Here's a way to change all of that.

1. Before (or during) the next meeting, seminar, or conference call, prepare yourself by drawing a square. 5" x 5" is a good size. Divide the square into columns-five across and five down. That will give you 25 one-inch blocks.

2. Write one of the following words/phrases in each block:
Synergy, strategic fit, core competencies, best practice, bottom line, revisit, expeditious, to tell you the truth (or "the truth is), 24/7, out of the loop, benchmark, value-added, proactive, win-win, think outside the box, fast track, result-driven, knowledge base, at the end of the day, touch base, mindset, client focus(ed), paradigm, game plan, leverage.

3. Now check off the appropriate block when you hear one of those words/phrases.

4. When you get five blocks horizontally, vertically, or diagonally stand up and shout "BOLLOX!"

Real Testimonials

"I had been in the meeting for only five minutes when I won." - Adam

"My attention span at meetings has improved dramatically." - David

"What a gas! Meetings will never be the same for me after my first win." - Dan

"The atmosphere was tense in the last process meeting as 14 of us waited for the fifth box." - Ben

"The speaker was stunned as eight of us screamed 'BOLLOX!' for the third time in two hours. The Bollox Bingo Championship will be played at the next meeting." - Robin
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Just received a personally-targeted, manually-distributed individual communications solution (letter) inviting me to become involved with some outfit which boasts of its range of "pro-active vertical market products".

Perhaps it's my loss, but I don't think I'll bother, somehow!

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Be thankful that you are not handicapped (or, for those few whop are, that you don't shop at Gallows Corner, Romford.

We are all used to there being car parking spaces reserved for the handicapped and, with a little application we can find a space amongst the hundreds of spaces left for the able bodied. Use a handicapped bay and we expect a charge, even a clamp or even, as happened at Lakeside two weeks ago, 3 vans full of boys in blue.

Spare a thought for the handicapped; they have only a few reserved spaces and if these are all occupied what can they do? At Gallows Corner the notices say that if they park OUTSIDE a space marked for the handicapped they will be charged (from memory it is over £100) and may be clamped. What a bu**er. I must emphasise that it is a private company involved which seems not to be connected with the shops which front onto the carpark

By contrast I appreciate the notice put up by the Leclerk supermarket chain beside their handicapped bays:
"If you take my place, please take my infirmity"
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:Be thankful that you are not handicapped (or, for those few whop are, that you don't shop at Gallows Corner, Romford.

We are all used to there being car parking spaces reserved for the handicapped and, with a little application we can find a space amongst the hundreds of spaces left for the able bodied. Use a handicapped bay and we expect a charge, even a clamp or even, as happened at Lakeside two weeks ago, 3 vans full of boys in blue.

Spare a thought for the handicapped; they have only a few reserved spaces and if these are all occupied what can they do? At Gallows Corner the notices say that if they park OUTSIDE a space marked for the handicapped they will be charged (from memory it is over £100) and may be clamped. What a bu**er. I must emphasise that it is a private company involved which seems not to be connected with the shops which front onto the carpark

By contrast I appreciate the notice put up by the Leclerk supermarket chain beside their handicapped bays:
"If you take my place, please take my infirmity"
Vote with your car and shop elsewhere !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Today I was looking at my friends HRM notes and it had a whole page on "resovoirs of talent". Am glad I don't appear to be headed for the corporate scene.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

from Customer Management lecture:
"direct to correct touch point"
when lecturer was asked about our uni's practices:
"I decline to answer as it may be non-career enhancing"

CIPD use the words deliverability and operationalization a lot which spell-check doesn't agree with.

resovoirs of talent = talent pooling? leads to "talent pipeline flow"
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02