Conspiracy theory - Iran captives?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Faye Turney

Post by Angela Woodford »

peter2095 wrote:If you go to a muslim country then there are times that you are expected to wear it.

Are you offended by the BBC New correspondant who is out there. She is British but she wears one!!!!

Its not demeaning in any sense!!!!!!
That's different, Peter. She should be able to stay in her Navy uniform! Especially when paraded on TV! She's not professionally opted to be there, as has a foreign correspondent.

I speak as one who wore the trousers from a friend's cast-off shalvar kameez until they fell to bits. But I had chosen to wear them!

Angela
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Faye Turney

Post by peter2095 »

Angela Woodford wrote:That's different, Peter. She should be able to stay in her Navy uniform! Especially when paraded on TV! She's not professionally opted to be there, as has a foreign correspondent.

Angela
So its ok for the Allied forces to dress people up in Bright Orange jumpsuits and keep them locked in cages, however, its wrong for Iran to put a lady in Muslim dress???
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Faye Turney

peter2095 wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:That's different, Peter. She should be able to stay in her Navy uniform! Especially when paraded on TV! She's not professionally opted to be there, as has a foreign correspondent.

Angela
So its ok for the Allied forces to dress people up in Bright Orange jumpsuits and keep them locked in cages, however, its wrong for Iran to put a lady in Muslim dress???
Wrong on both sides to "dress" people against their natural inclinations. Humiliating and passively aggressive.

But I'm all in favour of Muslim dress , if one wants to. Worn in non-submissive mode.

Angela
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

I think we are agreeing here Angela

However I do think some of JR's comments were wrong and ignorant
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Muslim dress

To stray a little off topic here Peter, I fell and cut my face badly recently - I rather longed to have a burqu'a behind which I could conceal my horrible swollen black eyed face! The two gorgeous Pakistani (from Slough) brother proprieters of our local corner shop were outraged at such a thought!

Let's hope for release of the 15, and for freedom for all those unjustly imprisoned everywhere.

Angela
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

I second that!!!!!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

third it.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

peter2095 wrote:I think we are agreeing here Angela

However I do think some of JR's comments were wrong and ignorant
I fully accept you are are entitled to your views, Peter and will defend to my dying breath your right to express them.

The fact that you think my comments ignorant dismays me somewhat.

Then again, I note your age of 22 and think you have many years ahead to learn to love your country.

I am NOT racist, and never have been.

Look at the facts.........

1) Our troops were doing what they are paid to do and that is to defend this country. None of the kidnapped naval personnel ASKED to be taken to Tehran, so why should they be stripped of their uniform and the only woman obviously forced against her will to wear a head-dress ?

2) We have known for years that a small section of the islamic faith have taken it upon themselves to stir up trouble in any part of the non-islamic world where they can. Not matter what your religious/Royalist view, I would point out that the Queen is Head of State in the UK, and is ALSO Head of the Church of England.

3) This country digs it's heels in kicking out the 'mad Mullah's' who preach violence and hatred here, probably fearing a human rights back-lash.

If we don't stand strong and firm NOW , it will only be a matter of time before our National heritage is no more, and all our women will be forced to walk the streets wearing veils and covering their ankles so as not to 'offend' the muslims !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:
J.R. wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:This is a sensitive situation given the proximity of Dubai to Iran and consequently needs careful handling.

If things do escalate not only are the 15 service personnel in potential danger but also a large expat population in Dubai.
Lets hope Peter Donaldson, (Col. B. with me), is back from Dubai then.
John,

I heard a Peter Donaldson on "Front Row," a Radio 4 arts programme, tonight reading a short story.

Could he be "your" one?
I suppose it might be ! We lost contact a couple of years ago when we moved house. It seems unlikely that it was Peter. Doesn't strike me that story reading would be his forte, but then again........
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

J.R. wrote:I fully accept you are are entitled to your views, Peter and will defend to my dying breath your right to express them.

The fact that you think my comments ignorant dismays me somewhat.

Then again, I note your age of 22 and think you have many years ahead to learn to love your country.

I am NOT racist, and never have been.

Look at the facts.........

1) Our troops were doing what they are paid to do and that is to defend this country. None of the kidnapped naval personnel ASKED to be taken to Tehran, so why should they be stripped of their uniform and the only woman obviously forced against her will to wear a head-dress ?

2) We have known for years that a small section of the islamic faith have taken it upon themselves to stir up trouble in any part of the non-islamic world where they can. Not matter what your religious/Royalist view, I would point out that the Queen is Head of State in the UK, and is ALSO Head of the Church of England. -

3) This country digs it's heels in kicking out the 'mad Mullah's' who preach violence and hatred here, probably fearing a human rights back-lash.

If we don't stand strong and firm NOW , it will only be a matter of time before our National heritage is no more, and all our women will be forced to walk the streets wearing veils and covering their ankles so as not to 'offend' the muslims !

JR you are so so so wrong!!! I'm disheartened to see that the Admin haven't already deleted this thread!! As i think the things that are being said are honestly offensive

So what if the Queen is in charge of the Church of England??!!!

Are you part of the BNP by any chance????

You say you are not racist then you go and say throw out all iranians within 24 hours - Thats racist!!!!

i love my country, the country i love accepts different cultures and different backgrounds. JR being 22 years old and growing up in the society that i have grown up in has taught me to accept many different people.

Would you ask to be taken to Tehran?? No one asks for anything in war, but sometime tish happens

I stick to my views saying you are ignorant. How many muslims do you know??

Yeah Queen is head of state, we also used to own many other countries for example India, mainly a muslim country - wanna kick them out to?

I urge the Admin to shut this thread down.
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

J.R. wrote:If we don't stand strong and firm NOW , it will only be a matter of time before our National heritage is no more, and all our women will be forced to walk the streets wearing veils and covering their ankles so as not to 'offend' the muslims !
Thats the ignorance i was talking about. Thanks JR for making my case stronger!!!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Don't be late for the Mosque, Peter !! :lol:
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

In many ways I agree with Peter here. I come from the perspective of having lived, as a practising Christian, in three predominantly Muslim countries. I count several Muslims as amongst my good friends.

If Faye Turney had not covered her head - from the photos I have seen that is all, it is hardly the equivalent of the Malay 'tudong' in that you can still see her hair - the Iranian audience may have not listened to her at all. The broadcast was in part, at least, showing the Iranian people that they think they were in the right to seize the hostages.

When we were in Pakistan, in public view I always acceded to the cultural norms in what to wear. At that time this did not include covering the head. It did mean covering the shoulders and not exposing the tops of your arms, and wearing either long skirts or trousers. This was no hardship and not relevant in the privacy of our own home, nor in places like the Embassy Club.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Sorry JR didn't mean Ignorance i think its more Arrogance!!!
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I think that there is an important debate here and I for one would not wish to close the topic down.

However .......

I urge everyone on this forum to abide by its rules; that is, not to to use any language that might be deemed to be insulting to another user. It is probably best not to use any adjectives at all about each other's behaviour here, unless one is absolutely certain that it will not cause offence.

May I suggest that those of us who have posted on this thread review what we have said and do a spot of judicious editing so that we can keep this debate running?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)