SHOULD WE..........................

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

so, Vonny, JR et. al, are you saying, that by being young, we have had it easy? Sure, we won't have had as long to live life, so to speak, but to say all because you are young you don't have a clue....thats harsh....
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Seconded - Hit the nail on the head hannoir
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Hannoir wrote:so, Vonny, JR et. al, are you saying, that by being young, we have had it easy? Sure, we won't have had as long to live life, so to speak, but to say all because you are young you don't have a clue....thats harsh....
I don't think anybody intended to cast aspersions at the young!

Peter (I'm paraphrasing so bear with me) suggested that certain people were looking down on immigrants in an attitude more appropiate to Eton than Housie.

I think JR and others were simply pointing out that they too had seen the rough side of life and thus were not approaching the issue from a "snobby" perspective which they may have felt Peter implied in his earlier post.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Mid A

Please may i refer you to the Thread Conspiracy Theory especiall JR comment on Page 2

He is saying that because we are young then we don't understand.

I was trying to throw abit of wit into that, however, what sejintenej said about times being tough, then you would think, that they would understand what life the real immigrants are running from.

I aplogiesed to all those people who i called a snob that aren't. However, People looking down on each other is just plain wrong
If it takes 87 muscles to frown, if i frown throughout the day, can that count towards my daily work out?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

peter2095 wrote:Mid A

Please may i refer you to the Thread Conspiracy Theory especiall JR comment on Page 2

I was trying to throw abit of wit into that, however, what sejintenej said about times being tough, then you would think, that they would understand what life the real immigrants are running from.

I aplogiesed to all those people who i called a snob that aren't. However, People looking down on each other is just plain wrong
Having read the thread I have to agree with you that it does seem unnecessary to mention your age.

As another (slightly younger) old fart it occurs to me though that he may have been trying to say that one becomes more patriotic the older you get. I know that is certainly true in my own case as I've learned more history and visited War fields in Belgium and France.

Only JR himself can say for sure though.

As an aside what happened in your day re history at CH? In my time you could only do "O" level (GCSE) if you decided to study it for "A" level. As a result I was relatively ignorant in history when I left CH and have picked up most of what I know subsequently.

This is not intended as a dig so don't take it as such but if your history experience is anything like mine was you will have been pretty ignorant about your heritage on leaving CH.

You're going to tell me you're studying history at Oxford or Cambridge aren't you? :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

peter2095 wrote:Seconded - Hit the nail on the head hannoir
I don't think she has - I'm only 37, is that considered old?
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Vonny wrote:
no - but old enough to be considered "not a youngster" and having "life experience" which seems to be the divide here.

and mid a 15, ive become less patriotic as i've got older!
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Hannoir wrote:
Vonny wrote:
no - but old enough to be considered "not a youngster" and having "life experience" which seems to be the divide here.

There's always an exception to prove the rule :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Mid A 15 wrote:You're going to tell me you're studying history at Oxford or Cambridge aren't you? :wink:
Unfortunately not Mid A. I hope you didn't take what i said as a dig to you? As i did not take what you said as a dig :)
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Hannoir wrote:
Vonny wrote: I don't think she has - I'm only 37, is that considered old?

There's always an exception to prove the rule :wink:
You might want to add me to the exception aswell :)
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

We all think what we think for whatever reason, no one needs to justify reasons and no one should think that they are right above others or anything!

Yes its a good debate and fascinating to see all the view points but rather than everyone start taking it personally-just remember we are all entitled to our own opinions-which to me is part of our culture!

And i do think that I being the age I am have got a lot more 'life experiences' to come and that I haven't had many as yet!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

It seems to me that we should sort out ALL layabouts (and Imspeak as one who has such a person in the family. Every time I walk down into town to shop, there is a crowd outside "the social" of clearly able-bodied people who should be working. There are jobs available here, probably not jobs that they would like to do, but I like the American idea of Workfare, where if a job is available you take it.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
peter2095
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by peter2095 »

midget wrote:It seems to me that we should sort out ALL layabouts (and Imspeak as one who has such a person in the family. Every time I walk down into town to shop, there is a crowd outside "the social" of clearly able-bodied people who should be working. There are jobs available here, probably not jobs that they would like to do, but I like the American idea of Workfare, where if a job is available you take it.
Seconded and Thirded
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

peter2095 wrote:Mid A

In theisw modern day and age yooungsters brought up in this country don't know what hunger is - the state feeds them if they want. They don't know what cold is - they are brought up with heating in their houses, they have TVs, Nike shoes etc etc.

Yes, I can understand what the Eastern Europeans are fleeing and I can also understand that they are prepared to actually do something about it; I have given my comments about them.

I had a neighbour whose daughter deliberately got herself pregnant because she was then entitled to a free council apartment. The council then put brand new furniture in it, provided the baby clothes, food .......... ad infinitum. That was 1976 - she still has never worked one hour in her life. That girl knew she was on to a good thing and it is people like us who have to pay for her. (BTW - her father was the deputy headmaster of a state school who objected to the concept of schools being expected to teach basic mathematics).
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

sejintenej wrote:In theisw modern day and age yooungsters brought up in this country don't know what hunger is - the state feeds them if they want. They don't know what cold is - they are brought up with heating in their houses,...
The welfare state is one of the things that makes me feel lucky to live in this country, that whatever may befall one, there is a basic package to fall back on if there is no support coming from family etc. and there are lots of genuine reasons why people can't work - I was one of those for a short time in my mid 20s. I think it's terribly sad that there is an expectation for some people that benefit is all there is to aspire to. Apart from the financial remuneration work gives, there's also the sense of feeling part of something (organisation or community), giving of yourself and your abilities whatever they may be, receiving respect and providing for those who depend on you. It doesn't help that the government are bribing youngsters to stay in school and finish their education. There is too much emphasis on money being the reward in life.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.