Moving house...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

ben ashton
Grecian

Moving house...

Post by ben ashton »

..without a car was a poor idea. I'm in pain, my shoulders can't take any more and i'v only got half of the stuff moved so far! *cries*
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Ben, you have my sympathies. I have moved 10 times in the last 16 years. But never without a car. You mad impetuous fool! I have vowed that I shall be carried out of our current abode feet first. No more. Ever, ever. Until next time.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

silly Ben - this is why they have men with vans to hire...or indeed just vans!
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

cj wrote:I have vowed that I shall be carried out of our current abode feet first. No more. Ever, ever.
I have a similar view but I have decicded than when the time comes I will in fact be buried in the house and it will be bricked up and left as a lasting legacy....
Barnes B / Mid A
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

adlop wrote:I have a similar view but I have decicded than when the time comes I will in fact be buried in the house and it will be bricked up and left as a lasting legacy....
The North-East Arts scene will undoubtedly be eternally grateful for all that you have done, and allow free admission for all time.

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Euterpe13 wrote:silly Ben - this is why they have men with vans to hire...or indeed just vans!
and on this note, I saw a van driving past our house today, and on the side......

"Reliable Man & Van for Hire"

As if someone is going to look through yellow pages for an

"UN-Reliable Man & Van for Hire" :lol: :oops: :lol: :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Moving??

Post by Angela Woodford »

I am currently at home sprucing up everything and brushing away cat fur ready for the Valuation on Friday!

"Venetia" from the estate agent has just rung, to change the appointment time. "We are going to have a good sit down for discussion" she assured me earnestly. "I want to help you to achieve your dream".

Climb every mountain? Ford every stream? Follow every highway?

Exciting isn't it?

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Moving??

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:I am currently at home sprucing up everything and brushing away cat fur ready for the Valuation on Friday!

"Venetia" from the estate agent has just rung, to change the appointment time. "We are going to have a good sit down for discussion" she assured me earnestly. "I want to help you to achieve your dream".

Climb every mountain? Ford every stream? Follow every highway?

Exciting isn't it?

Munch
Sounds like someone from the Adams Family !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Be nice, Angela, be nice. Venetia is probably a lovely, intelligent and sincere person, who genuinely wants to help. Like all estate agents.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Putting down my pack of Flash Multi Surface Wipes.

No, no, Venetia sounded really lovely and enthusiastic. As if nothing could possibly be too much trouble! I can tell I'm going to like her enormously. And I've asked her to be really frank about what I should do to achieve a sale!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm a very trusting soul.

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Angela Woodford wrote:And I've asked her to be really frank about what I should do to achieve a sale!
Munch
Move out and rent!

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Don't think renting would be an option, Catherine! :? Too expensive. This will be a move on a budget.

Hopefully moving Devonwards in your direction! And in the direction of Carolynn and Maggie. Maps and prospective employers being investigated. My ears are whirring with the relentless drone of the hoover - after all, Venetia Visit only four days away. And her pre-valuation information pack enforces the importance of the house with "Kerb Appeal".

A whole new language!

Munch
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Angela Woodford wrote:Don't think renting would be an option, Catherine! :? Too expensive. This will be a move on a budget.

Hopefully moving Devonwards in your direction! And in the direction of Carolynn and Maggie. Maps and prospective employers being investigated. My ears are whirring with the relentless drone of the hoover - after all, Venetia Visit only four days away. And her pre-valuation information pack enforces the importance of the house with "Kerb Appeal".

A whole new language!

Munch
Kent is all too rapidly becoming the patio of England rather than the garden of England.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I was near Paddock Wood on Sunday, lots of fields and greenhouses as far as I could see.

Bland, bland and bland sells. (magnolia, magnolia and magnolia) Offend no-one. Clean, clean, clean and paint the front door if it needs it. I won't insult you by saying that a nice front garden helps as well.

If you have a lot of 'stuff' (don't we all?) pack it away and beg borrow or rent some storage to get it out of the house. It will have to be packed when you move so get a head start. and don't forget http://www.freecycle.org/ for stuff you no longer use .
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

On the housing subject - my lease runs out on 31st August, and as I have in the interim moved Ma into the flat below me , I am at last taking the leap and buying the property.... very very scary taking out a first mortgage!

Never been able to buy anything before, so being a First Time Buyer at my age gets a few wierd looks - but if all goes well, I will own my home ( well, not really, will belong to the BS for the next 15 years, but even so...) by my next birthday - how cool is that ?

:D :D :D :D
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."