Where NOT to stay

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

CHAZ
Grecian

Re: Where NOT to stay

Post by CHAZ »

Starsucks if you ask me. Outrageous.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
MKM
Grecian

Re: Where NOT to stay and where NOT to drink

Post by MKM »

englishangel wrote: Recently Marines in Iraq wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to let them know how much they liked their coffees and to request that they send some of it to the troops there.
According to http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/ ... shtml?s=ic this story has been around since at least 2006.

I avoid Starbucks anyway, on general principles (American, multinational, expensive,...).
Mary
CH 1965-1972
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I am sure these things go round and round. I received one the other day re a virus with a Snopes link and when I went to Snopes it went back to 2003.

Starbucks is apparently a Fairtrade organisation but I don't go there anyway. One has just opened round the corner from us at work and always seems quite busy, though who can afford £3.50 for a cup of coffee I don't know.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
matthew
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by matthew »

Here's a Snopes link for the Starbucks story.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp

It's a malicious rumour directed at an easy target. I do wish people would do a little research before passing these things on.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:I am sure these things go round and round. I received one the other day re a virus with a Snopes link and when I went to Snopes it went back to 2003.

Starbucks is apparently a Fairtrade organisation but I don't go there anyway. One has just opened round the corner from us at work and always seems quite busy, though who can afford £3.50 for a cup of coffee I don't know.
No-one from Lehmann Brothers - That's for sure ! :axe:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

No-one from Lehmann Brothers - That's for sure !
A little off topic, so sorry in advance.

I've been working with one of my clients who are based in E1 this week; on tuesday on the terminally dull and long train journey to Waterloo I sat near a young couple who looked, quite frankly, too young to be out on their own let alone travelling off to Big Bad London on the train. Their conversation went roughly like this:

Her: "What can they do when we don't show up?"
Him: "I don't think there's anything they can do, don't worry" (quick hug him to her)
Her: "We won't get the deposit back, will we?"
Him: "Don't think so love, but don't worry we''ll sort something out." (quick hug him to her)
Her: "Why are we going in today, no-one's going to be there"
Him: "Don't really know, just seems like the right thing to do, we could go to the coffee shop and see if anyone else has come in"
Her: "Should we tell them, call them or something? They think we can still buy the house"

(hushed silence all around the carriage)

Him: "We'll sort something out" (quick hug him to her)
Her: " We can still go to Mum's at christmas"
Him: " It'll be fine, christmas is a long way off" (quick hug her to him)

No-one spoke in the carriage for the next half hour.

Not all the traders, hedge fund managers and bankers in the City are fat cat, champagne-swilling gluttons.
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Re: Where NOT to stay and where NOT to drink

Post by LongGone »

englishangel wrote:Received this via Facebook today:

Guess I won't be drinking Starbucks anymore!! !

Recently Marines in Iraq wrote to Starbucks because they wanted to let them know how much they liked their coffees and to request that they send some of it to the troops there.

Starbucks replied, telling the Marines thank you for their support of their business, but that Starbucks does not support the war, nor anyone in it, and that they would not send the troops their brand of coffee.

So as not to offend Starbucks, maybe we should not support them by buying any of their products!

I feel we should get this out in the open.

I know this war might not be very popular with some folks, but that doesn't mean we don't support the boys on the ground fighting street-to-street and house-to-house.

If you feel the same as I do then pass this along, or you can discard it and no one will never know.

Thanks very much for your support. I know you'll all be there again when I deploy once more.

Sgt. Howard C. Wright
1st Force Recon Co
1st Plt PLT

PLEASE DON'T DELETE THIS. .. ALLOW IT TO BE PASSED TO ALL IN MEMORY OF ALL THE TROOPS WHO HAVE DIED SO THAT WE MAY HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE TO SUPPORT THEM OR NOT!! !

Also, don't forget that when the Twin Trade Towers were hit the fire fighters and rescue workers went to Starbucks because it was close by for water for the survivors and workers and Starbucks charged them! ! !

JUST A NOTE TO THIS: STARBUCKS HAD STORES ON SEVERAL MILITARY BASES IN THE UNITED STATES. THEY ARE NOW BEING REMOVED BECAUSE OF THIS. GO GET 'EM AMERICA. STAND-UP FOR OURSELVES!

There are also 227 stores across the UK and there's no doubt that our soldiers would get the same response from this company.
Another Urban myth I'm afraid. See:http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp
Apparently we are always ready to believe the worst of people
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

:deadhorse:
I'm afraid I've become really cynical about all chain letters (because that's what they are, however good the cause appears to be). Those who follow the Jokes thread have probably already found my responses to the "here's a really funny true story" type anecdotes incredibly tedious - nine times out of ten if you check Snopes it never really happened. Same for many of these worthy causes. There was another one doing the rounds a few years ago about Tommy Hilfiger - can't remember the detail but it was the same type of spiteful attack with no substance. And who remembers the Niemann Marcus cookies story?

Just one more time, because it can't be repeated too often :D http://www.snopes.com :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

How do we know that Snopes isn't a hoax ?????/

Hmmmmm !

Anyway - I wouldn'y pay £3-50 for a coffee. Same as I wouldn't pay over £5 for a bottle of wine.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.