Snow

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Snow

Post by Mid A 15 »

Loads of it!

What a shame it didn't come down a week later. I think work is off today unless it shows signs of clearing. A 4 wheel drive is stuck in our road at the moment. I don't have one of those so chances are I would get stuck too.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Snow

Post by englishangel »

I have just posted about our 6 or 7 inches on the Carol Concert thread.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Likewise. I used to like snow as a child, but now the first thing I think is "when have I next got to drive?" and "I hope it doesn't last, I'm going to have to drive somewhere before long". I am happy to drive in just about all weathers except snow - I hate it.

When we had the really bad snow last February, I actually found it quite depressing. Winter isn't very colourful at the best of times but it really dragged me down just seeing acres of white with little colour to relieve it.

Reminds me of a few years ago when we visited a friend in Canada. We went early April, when spring should have started, but they had more unexpected snow just before we arrived. Lots of it. We booked a private flight over Toronto and Niagara - Chris thought it was fabulous but my main memory of it was just snow everywhere, as far as you could see. And our few days in Toronto itself was spoilt by having to trek everywhere in single file through narrow paths cleared through the snow.

Ooh, that was quite a little rant :lol: Snow....bah, humbug!!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

TBA exclaimed, with joy -- "OOOH ! SNOW !"
It was 11 am this morning -- I dutifully looked out of the Dining Room Window -- yes, the Pond was lightly frozen and there were a few flakes of snow, drifting onto the ice.

Not daring to comment --- I waited.
It was about 12noon when I looked out again ---- Brilliant Sunshine, no sign of snow ! but a cold wind.

There ARE advantages in living in Deepest Dorset !!! :lol:

(Whisper it ----- rather than Yorkshire !! )
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

We had a mini-blizzard just after lunch yesterday & the snow is still there today. It's freezing, with a nasty NE wind, the birds' water was solid & it's getting darker now; but we've obviously fared better than the eastern side. Our turn next week apparently, when the wind turns northerly. White Christmas?

PS What was that about global warming? This reminds me of the real winters we had 60 years ago! :?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Generally speaking, it's the eastern side of the country that's been hit the worst.

About 2" overnight in Dorking.

Most schools in Horsham and Crawley shut today. Some schools in Dorking shut, though it is the last day for state schools in Surrey.

More white stuff (NOT coke), forecast over the next few days in the east with temperatures well below freezing at night.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

It's been snowing gently for several hours here in Gloucestershire, but only just starting to settle.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

we have had flurries for a couple of days but last night as going to bed it began to fall heavily and settle-this morning 6:30am looked out the window and exclaimed there was no way i was going out in that. Watching news confirmed the fact that Maidstone has been cut off by the snow, all major roads out of town shut, hill downto my station closed let alone the fact that there were no trains.

Due to have tesco deliver this moring, at 10 (start of the delivery time) i rang to ask if they were still delivering to be told all deliveries cancelled and they were in process of ringing round to let customers know, you would have thought that they would call people before their delievery time. So off i went wrapped and trudged for 30minutes to the next villages shop which was clearly full of people like me getting caught with no food (i did look in the cupboard in a delia/jamie oliver i can just whip something up from all this, but alas no it would have been a very wrong concotion of food had i done that).

So am now working from home and planing on going to play in the snow in a litle bit :)
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

No snow here, thank God, but a wickedly cold wind this morning. Hospice shop freezing as usual, so I ate a sinful hot pasty for lunch. Much cheered by the amount we took, £400+, and so to piggy flu jab and home.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Drove from West London to CH today and despite coming in via the Itchingfield road (by accident rather than design), where the road had a fair amount of snow but still enough traction, no particular problem. I got there to meet the Clerk just after 10.00am.
Not that I was too worried as I have chains, a recent acquisition.
We drove from Valencia to Santander on Monday, and about 40 minutes out of Valencia we were stopped by the Guardia Civil. They refused to let us continue unless we had chains on. This was on an autovia, just about the equivalent of motorway. We had to turn back and eventually found a tyre shop who could get us some chains.
Back to the motorway, where I struggled to put chains on the front wheels at about minus 3 degrees. It's not an easy task if you haven't done it before, despite the diagrams and instructions in 4 languages.
Got them on, drove about 20 metres to where we were pulled over again to be told that the road was clear for some distance, as indeed it was. We then drove for about 100km through snow, the last 60km following a car that was on chains and only travelling at about 40kph. The dual carriageway was down to half a lane at that stage, but we all got through.
I now have the chains in the boot and hope that practice makes perfect for getting them on next time.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Was amusing watching the dustmen this morning; their 12-tonne truck only had 2-wheel drive and would not go up the hill. What was slightly scary was when it started to slide back down... :shock:
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Obviously I'm used to the white stuff at home, but I'm in Kent, with my baby sister, and last night we had Thundersnow! Very strange experience - heavy snowfall accompanied by thunder & lightning....

Settled beautifully and the sunshine today meant I really nice (if long) walk in the snow today with the children - Millie's first snow - we carried the babies in carriers and Hanna made lots of Snow Angels. At least we were properly dressed for it! Hanna has a great all in one snow suit which is waterproof, wind proof, mudproof etc.
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Brentwod, Essex and 3 inches of snow yesterday morning (not JR's alleged white stuff - have to try that some day :twisted: ) Fox spoor in the garden and tits at the bird bath and food. One great tit even sat on the lounge door handle and eventually I realised the reason; the heat from the house was passing into the outside handle where it turned the snow on it into water which the bird was drinking!

Supposed to drive 200 miles to near York today, collect 3 grandchildren and drive back - there is no babysiter there. Somehow I don't think I will even go out of my front door even though the roads here are clear.

My nextdoor neighbour is supposed to set out today for a Chrstmas holiday in Cornwall with a mass of relations!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:Drove from West London to CH today and despite coming in via the Itchingfield road (by accident rather than design), where the road had a fair amount of snow but still enough traction, no particular problem. I got there to meet the Clerk just after 10.00am.

Not that I was too worried as I have chains, a recent acquisition.

We drove from Valencia to Santander on Monday, and about 40 minutes out of Valencia we were stopped by the Guardia Civil. They refused to let us continue unless we had chains on. This was on an autovia, just about the equivalent of motorway. We had to turn back and eventually found a tyre shop who could get us some chains.
Back to the motorway, where I struggled to put chains on the front wheels at about minus 3 degrees. It's not an easy task if you haven't done it before, despite the diagrams and instructions in 4 languages.
Got them on, drove about 20 metres to where we were pulled over again to be told that the road was clear for some distance, as indeed it was. We then drove for about 100km through snow, the last 60km following a car that was on chains and only travelling at about 40kph. The dual carriageway was down to half a lane at that stage, but we all got through.
I now have the chains in the boot and hope that practice makes perfect for getting them on next time.
I don't think we want to know about your private life, John !! :shock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Aniext ---
Strange about Birmingham, --- My No2.Son lives in Knowle, out in the semi-rural, but had no snow, to speak of.
He informed me about the Brum Snow, I would have expected that the warmth of the 2nd City would have lessened the likelihood of snow --- but not on this occasion.