ITS RUGBY TIME AGAIN

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

CHAZ
Grecian

ITS RUGBY TIME AGAIN

Post by CHAZ »

We are back on for the usual banter between the Home Nations and our Gallic and Italian foes. Last year I recall some jibing here between Welsh and Irish OBs.

I thought the first day was a bit disappointing with no side really showing themselves to be streets ahead of the others. So I guess a rather open tournament...

My prediction:

No Grand Slam winner but a winner based on points difference...

1.France
2.Ireland
3. England
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: ITS RUGBY TIME AGAIN

Post by englishangel »

We went racing on Saturday (Sandown) and listened to the rugby on the way home. Then husband dashed indoors to watch Sky sports as his beloved Donny Rovers were playing while I dived for the record button (the remote has died) for the remainder of the rugby. I then went shopping and listened to the radio, hearing the final score, and got home just as he started watching the rugby "as live". I of course came onto the net and he was yelling at me not to tell him the result, as if I would :lol: :lol:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Was impressed with the French scrum and the English Lineout. I felt the Welsh for all their pre-tournament posturing on the BBC 606 message boards were somewhat rudderless and the Irish looked like they couldn't be bothered after the 1st half. Interesting to see that the English are the top try scorers. I was very disappointed with the Italian scrum and the Scots seemed toothless and unable to make use of the talent they have (back row, Sean Lamont and the Evans brothers).

I also think the French will win it, but I think the Irish may struggle and England too. They were 17 points up then seemed to switch off! :twisted:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Tommy wrote:Was impressed with the French scrum and the English Lineout. I felt the Welsh for all their pre-tournament posturing on the BBC 606 message boards were somewhat rudderless and the Irish looked like they couldn't be bothered after the 1st half. Interesting to see that the English are the top try scorers. I was very disappointed with the Italian scrum and the Scots seemed toothless and unable to make use of the talent they have (back row, Sean Lamont and the Evans brothers).

I also think the French will win it, but I think the Irish may struggle and England too. They were 17 points up then seemed to switch off! :twisted:
I'd go along with most of that. The French looked impressive but on the other hand the Scots (or Italians) are the weakest side in the six nations. (Watch England get stuffed at Murrayfield now I've said that!).

Wales are not a bad side and were looking very dangerous to me at the time of Armitage's interception which led to Haskell's second try. England showed the mental strength to cope and, although the English front row struggled against arguably the strongest Northern hemisphere front row, I think if Wilkinson stays fit they could just nick it from the French.

I won't be putting my house on it though!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Mid A 15 wrote:impressed with the French scrum and the English Lineout. I felt the Welsh for all their pre-tournament posturing on the BBC 606 message boards were somewhat rudderless and the Irish looked like they couldn't be bothered after the 1st half. Interesting to see that the English are the top try scorers. I was very disappointed with the Italian scrum and the Scots seemed toothless and unable to make use of the talent they have (back row, Sean Lamont and the Evans brothers).
You will note that the "Evans's are now also Scots !

We get in everywhere !! :lol:

NTN Evans --- IRISH ! :?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

A couple of changes for England this weekend - Flutey and Cole in. Good news, I think, although it means yet another Kiwi in a white shirt (although he deserves his place). I wonder if the ridiculously-named Kiwi ex-rugby league player Shontayne Hape will feature any time soon. I know players can qualify after 3 years residency, but I still feel uneasy about it.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

As long as "Our" All Blacks are better than anyone elses All blacks !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well, I'm 'orf down to Meadowbank to watch a game played with a proper shaped ball !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

That would be Hockey ???
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

That's a 'girlie' game !
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Please don't anyone rise to this stupid comment.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

You would hardly call DR "girly", but she was a mean hockey player.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I have played Hockey -- my only claim to fame -- is having cracked the Duke of Edinburgh (Then Lt Mountbatten) across the shins in a game -- HMS WhateveritwasIforget (Magpie ?) -- against Tripoli Garrison !!!

Have you seen the England Girls Rugby Team in action ? Brilliant !!! :D :D
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I claim a 'nibble', if not a bite after your request, Mary !
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Well, I sat through all three matches at the weekend.

Enjoyed France showing everyone how to play, couldn't believe how Scotland pressed self-destruct against Wales, endured England's clueless antics yesterday, and got very angry at Borthwick's post-match comments. His attempts to put a positive spin on that rubbish have been compared elsewhere to the comedy outpourings of Comical Ali.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?