The Forthcoming General Election

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: The Forthcoming General Election

Post by J.R. »

As I said before that I WILL be voting.

I'm sure us 'umble moderators will consider your request, Neill !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I too shall be voting because I consider it my civic duty to do so, and because people fought long and hard to give me the right to do so. However there were others who fought long and hard for the right to a secret ballot, and I object to people knocking on my door asking how I intend to cast my vote. I have even tentatively suggested to some of them that it is illegal for them to ask - although I am not sure that this is technically true. I have never revealed even to my nearest and dearest which party I vote for, and it is not necessarily always the same party; at each election I consider which party seems to be the most suitable in the current climate. I consider that those who do not vote have no right to object if they do not like what they get.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Fjgrogan wrote:I too shall be voting because I consider it my civic duty to do so, and because people fought long and hard to give me the right to do so. However there were others who fought long and hard for the right to a secret ballot, and I object to people knocking on my door asking how I intend to cast my vote. I have even tentatively suggested to some of them that it is illegal for them to ask - although I am not sure that this is technically true. I have never revealed even to my nearest and dearest which party I vote for, and it is not necessarily always the same party; at each election I consider which party seems to be the most suitable in the current climate. I consider that those who do not vote have no right to object if they do not like what they get.
Frances. AIUI anyone can ask but they are prohibited from insisting on an answer or pressuring you in any way. I don't think even the courts can insist on you answering (until the present party has its way).

As to your last sentence I think it is a little "wide". I have IN THEORY a postal vote (the local council decided to refuse me the right to vote but I got that overturned. However, the Post Office is so slow that I am sure my voting slips never arrive in time. I have taken it up with the Returning Officer but, apart from posting my ballot paper one (insufficient) day earlier he does nothing.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I can empathise with you over the postal voting situation, David. On one occasion, when I was living with my daughter in Leicester, for some reason (I forget why) the entire election was run on postal voting, but the forms were all sent out so late that people were panicking about receiving them in time, let alone getting them returned by the due date.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I agree 100% with Frances on the secret ballot.

There was a piece on the BBC website that the forces in Afghanistan won't get their ballot papers in time.Mainly because they will be in the middle of a turn-round, with one lot coming home and another lot going out so their papers will be following them around.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

They are all as bad as each other.

Show me a politician who claims they don't lie and I'll show you a liar... :roll:
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:May I, humbly, suggest to our Worthy Moderators --- that as soon as the Election is called, we close, this particular Thread.

Feelings will run high and things may be posted which will be regretted, when it has all cooled down again.

Have your say, by VOTING --- whichever way your inclination is --- but VOTE (Or don't complain ! :lol: )
Can't see what you're worrying about, Neill. Nothing too controversial really gets said on here. I'm sure many people hold back on a number of topics anyway. The right to free speech should be observed, I think.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Tommy wrote:They are all as bad as each other.

Show me a politician who claims they don't lie and I'll show you a liar... :roll:
Too right. I'll still vote, though - never missed one yet. I'm not about to lose my right to complain when things inevitably go norks skyward.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

OK ---- so I am a sensitive flower ------ so I won't read all the horrid things :lol: :lol:
Vièr Bliu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Vièr Bliu »

When people ask why I insist on continuing to stand for election to the legislature (despite my historic inability to persuade more than 30% of the electorate to consider voting for me...), I reply that it's one way of ensuring that I've got someone to vote for (however that does mean that I don't get to use all my votes as I plump for myself). The UK system is a bit odd to me - you only get to vote for one national legislator, so you can't split your vote, and the chances are that you won't have voted for at least one successful candidate. And the system of unpredictable elections is madness - I'm sure it must put off potential candidates of quality. For example, my employer knows that I'm intending to stand in the next general election (two rounds in October-November 2011 - otherwise my municipal seat comes up for re-election in December 2011), so I can arrange to timetable projects accordingly. Similarly, the government has a target to hit in achieving its policies - none of this pretending to be carrying on the administration when some election date has been secretly decided upon. Fixed election dates for the UK House of Commons would be sensible, surely?
Jé l'dithai acouo eune fais: séyiz heutheurs!
BB/CA 1977-1984
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:OK ---- so I am a sensitive flower ------ so I won't read all the horrid things :lol: :lol:

:lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Vièr Bliu wrote:When people ask why I insist on continuing to stand for election to the legislature (despite my historic inability to persuade more than 30% of the electorate to consider voting for me...), I reply that it's one way of ensuring that I've got someone to vote for (however that does mean that I don't get to use all my votes as I plump for myself).
Over here if you got 30% of the electorate behind you then you would have an excellent chance of being returned. I'm not sure what percentage here votes
There are 646 separate constituencies across the UK each electing one single Member of ... only 1 in 5 of the registered electorate actually voted for the Government
. - Electoral Reform Society

So, on average, you would only need 20%. In the States do you have compulsory voting a la Suisse or Proportional Representation (which I read into your post) or first-past-the-post? You seem very cynical about every last other candidate :x
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

A splendid Matt cartoon yesterday.

Man sits, deep in newspaper packed with pre-election news and views. His child, surrounded by Easter egg wrappers, face smeared in chocolate, surveys him worriedly.

Child: Go easy on the politics now, Dad - you could make yourself sick....
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Exactly Alan !

Hence the protest vote I will be using. It won't be for any of the three 'shyster' main parties !
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Well now , I said I wouldn't get involved --- at least not politically --- !

If you don't like how things are being "Organised" at any level, then DO something about it --

Locally, I got into Politics, because my Councillor told me, when I complained about something --- "I havn't got time to talk to constituents " ---- I kid you not !!!
I congratulated him on his "Retirement from Politics " !!--- and stood against him.
This is only at County Level --- but you have to start somewhere !

The greatest Weapon which the Public have -- is to embarrass ---- PUBLICLY--- your Representative.
Organise a Protest --- write to the Press -- inform the Opposition --- plenty of other routes !

OH I can't be bothered ------ OK but don't "opt out" by not voting --- many people in other Countries, are being imprisoned, tortured, dying, on this Principle of Democracy.
If you wish, make it a protest vote --- for say--- Monster Raving Looneys---- BUT VOTE !!!!!

End of Moral Encouragement ! (Of course I was never like that !! :oops: )