The Forthcoming General Election

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

The Forthcoming General Election

Post by Mid A 15 »

Two Old Blues mentioned here...

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/theto ... l-lap.html

The Old Blues are Hilton and Shakespeare whom was known as something else at CH I believe.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: The Forthcoming General Election

Post by J.R. »

My bet for the forth-coming election is a 'hung-parliament' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

They should be (hung), most of them!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Hilton is an OB? He is evil.

Personally, I despise the Tories and as such will not be voting for them and campaigning against them. I mean, who would trust Cameron, who has thrown a 19 point lead away?

I mean, seriously.

(Don't wind me up, or I'll get all Labour on you.)
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Steve was a good bloke, I am not sure I would call him evil.........

And having received such a good education you cannot possibly vote for that ignorant and incompetent halfwit who claims to be in charge at the moment?
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Hannoir wrote:
Personally, I despise the Tories and as such will not be voting for them and campaigning against them. I mean, who would trust Cameron, who has thrown a 19 point lead away?

I mean, seriously.
Interesting that you say Cameron threw away the lead, rather than GB clawing it back.
Shows a curious lack of faith in GB.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

cstegerlewis wrote:And having received such a good education you cannot possibly vote for that ignorant and incompetent halfwit who claims to be in charge at the moment?
True, but are the alternatives much better? I suspect that is why nearly 70% of the population don't bother to vote.
Just think how many of the present bunch were not found wantying expenses wise.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

sejintenej wrote: nearly 70% of the population don't bother to vote.
I always vote because I feel I owe it to those women who went through hell to get me that right; but I have to admit that I vote in hope, not expectation ... and am usually disappointed.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hear hear Annie
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I have a perfectly good education thanks - I even have an MSc from a Russell Group university? Does that by default mean I am too well educated to be a Labour voter?

jhopgood (sorry I'm not good with quoting, responding etc etc) - I'll admit that say a year ago, I didn't have a lot of faith in GB. But now I do - but lets face it, Cameron has "thrown" it away, has he not?
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

anniexf wrote:
sejintenej wrote: nearly 70% of the population don't bother to vote.
I always vote because I feel I owe it to those women who went through hell to get me that right; but I have to admit that I vote in hope, not expectation ... and am usually disappointed.
Annie,
Whilst Emily Pankhurst and associates deserve appreciation, do you really think that she would approve of most of the expected contestants in the next election. In her day (and even when some of us were at CH) if you did anything even doubtful such as getting a (legal) divorce you retired from public life and were persona non grata for the rest of your days. I am thinking about the father of the person who presented me - he had to go to Havana to die after a prison sentence (today it would be community service) and was not acknowledged by the woman whose DNA came from him. I am thinking about the ex-minister in the Russian spy case (Mandy Rice-Davies et al) who subsequently did a lot of good in the East End but couldn't be even named by the press in a neutral or positive manner before his death.

By contrast we have a minister who had to resign after a "misdeed", was brought back, resigned again after another misdeed, was promoted to Brussels and is now back as a minister. We have umpteen MPs who have been screwing the tax payer and some of them saying that the law allows them to hang on to their mis-gotten gains (misgotten as defined by the president of the enquiry!).

Are you honouring Pankhurst's struggle by endorsing such people? I would love there to be honourable people in Parliament but I have doubts about many / most / all of them.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

David

I think it's a bit of a cop-out not to vote, because if you don't there's the chance that even worse people get in by default. Not the best reason to exercise my franchise I admit, but saying "a plague on all their houses" just won't do.

True, we've got a pretty grubby lot at the moment, but many won't be standing again because their lack of scruples has been exposed. I can only hope that the new intake will have learned from the scandal - because hope is pretty well all we've got.

I can't bear Mandelson, Harman, Straw et al but neither can I bear the thought of Gove, Duncan & Osborne wielding power. I despised Blair as much as I loathed Thatcher. But MacMillan was telling my parents they'd "never had it so good" when it was blindingly obvious that they and their like didn't have anything. And wasn't his wife having a long-term affair with Lord Boothby? So don't get sentimental, David, about "old-fashioned values" - politics stank then, just as now. There were just fewer newspaper editors willing to risk exposing the fact, and no Freedom of Information Act.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

anniexf wrote:David

I think it's a bit of a cop-out not to vote, because if you don't there's the chance that even worse people get in by default. Not the best reason to exercise my franchise I admit, but saying "a plague on all their houses" just won't do.

True, we've got a pretty grubby lot at the moment, but many won't be standing again because their lack of scruples has been exposed. I can only hope that the new intake will have learned from the scandal - because hope is pretty well all we've got.

I can't bear Mandelson, Harman, Straw et al but neither can I bear the thought of Gove, Duncan & Osborne wielding power. I despised Blair as much as I loathed Thatcher. But MacMillan was telling my parents they'd "never had it so good" when it was blindingly obvious that they and their like didn't have anything. And wasn't his wife having a long-term affair with Lord Boothby? So don't get sentimental, David, about "old-fashioned values" - politics stank then, just as now. There were just fewer newspaper editors willing to risk exposing the fact, and no Freedom of Information Act.
This is exactly why people are apathetic about voting - you cannot trust any of them. Grubby lot says it all and that includes both Labour and Conservative, don't know about the other parties. I would like to pose the question: Which MPs do you trust MOST- if any? ! I would consider voting Tory if William Hague was leader.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Hannoir, I know you have had a good education, you went to CH, and I also have an MSc from a Russel Group university, but note I did not call Gordon Brown 'Labour', just incompetent.

By all means you may be a labour, Lib Dem, UKIP, Tory, Green or anything esle, however you cannot ignore the fact the he single handedly screwed up the economy, and as shown in the Chilcot enquiry, is a bit economical with the truth (I work in the defence industry, and they don't get everything they ask for....)

I will get off the fence now, it is hurting a bit :lol: :lol:
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

cstegerlewis wrote:Hannoir, I know you have had a good education, you went to CH, and I also have an MSc from a Russel Group university, but note I did not call Gordon Brown 'Labour', just incompetent.

By all means you may be a labour, Lib Dem, UKIP, Tory, Green or anything esle, however you cannot ignore the fact the he single handedly screwed up the economy, and as shown in the Chilcot enquiry, is a bit economical with the truth (I work in the defence industry, and they don't get everything they ask for....)

I will get off the fence now, it is hurting a bit :lol: :lol:
I don't think so

Japan has been in recession for donkey's years, did he do that?

I have just watched "Requiem for Detroit" and there is 38.7% unemployment, 40% illiteracy and from a peak population of 2million, there are now 800,000 and GM and Chrysler have gone cap in hand to the US Government for funding. It was (mainly) US sub-prime lending.that toppled the first domino, admittedly GB didn't help but he hardly "single-handedly screwed up the economy".
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"