RED ED !!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

RED ED !!

Post by J.R. »

So wotcha reckon ???
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Re: RED ED !!

Post by Hannoir »

Glad he won. Provides something different to the Clegg/Cameron machine.

His speech was spot on with a lot of things too. A lot of stuff he said about community, families, bankers etc were exactly what people were saying on the doorstep when I was campaigning for the election.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Also was moved by him talking about why he got into politics and how his family came to live in the UK - mum was in hiding in Poland in the war and his Dad + grandad had to flee to the UK. Talking about the hope and opportunities that the UK gave his family and how he wants to be part of providing this for everyone. So easy to forget really.

Shame this sort of story and reasoning can't be said about many other high profile politicians.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

It means nothing in the real world as the important decisions are made in Brussels and Cameron, Clegg and Miliband (both) wholeheartedly endorse this and have no wish to change the status quo.

Therefore changing the leader of any of the LibLabCon is tantamount to rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic in that the iceberg (EU) will still determine the outcome!

As a youngster I read his old man Ralph's book called The State and Capitalist Society. Although written in the late sixties / early seventies it was ahead of its time.

I may well dig it out and reread it.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I'm cynical about the lot of them; like Cameron, Clegg et al he says what he thinks will make people vote for him at the next election. The trouble seems to be that the rank and file plus parliamentary Lab party plus some unions preferred David and it was the big 3 who put Ed in. David E might be apparently out pro tem but his absence is still likely to split the party.

The Titanic? yes but the other parallel was that Britain, like the Titanic and supertankers, takes a long time to change course. We suffer from a crisis of followership in that everyone questions why our leaders want to do something. They want to know what is in it for them, whether that is sufficient to satisfy their wants, what the leaders get out if their proposals, what the fall-back position is and how they will be protected from any adverse effect and how the government will guarantee the accuracy of its answers. Then they start questioning those answers and in the meantime very little gets done and in the meantime the opportunity is ling gone.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

I am delighted, especially as I read in this morning's paper that Kinnock is celebrating "taking the party back". Labour will now be truly inelectable.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

The Titanic? yes but the other parallel was that Britain, like the Titanic and supertankers, takes a long time to change course
Yes - so true. I work in a Primary School as a Clerk to the Governors and we are having to implement curriculum changes brought in by the last government.
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

I'm a bit suspicious of this "unelectable" thing. As I said in my last post when I was out campaigning in both Birmingham Edgbaston and Birmingham Ladywood a lot of people were saying what Ed said in his Tuesday speech about immigration, communities, cuts, jobs, families, work life balance, the Iraq war etc. If he, as a leader is saying things that voters are saying then that doesn't exactly make a party unelectable, no?

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Hannoir wrote:I'm a bit suspicious of this "unelectable" thing. As I said in my last post when I was out campaigning in both Birmingham Edgbaston and Birmingham Ladywood a lot of people were saying what Ed said in his Tuesday speech about immigration, communities, cuts, jobs, families, work life balance, the Iraq war etc. If he, as a leader is saying things that voters are saying then that doesn't exactly make a party unelectable, no?
Please re-read the first sentence of my last post above. They can say anything and everything, but whether they (any party) will actually do it is a very very different matter. As an example Labour PROMISED that there would be no more "boom and bust" and look what happened. Hence my scepticism. At least one survey has put politicians close to being on par with used-car salesmen.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Hannoir wrote:Also was moved by him talking about why he got into politics and how his family came to live in the UK - mum was in hiding in Poland in the war and his Dad + grandad had to flee to the UK. Talking about the hope and opportunities that the UK gave his family and how he wants to be part of providing this for everyone. So easy to forget really.

Shame this sort of story and reasoning can't be said about many other high profile politicians.
It gives me a bit of an uncomfortable feeling - it's easy to use his Jewish refugee family as one of his major self promotion points - and then make a point of shrugging off and rejecting that Jewish heritage for atheism...

Imagine not having the time to register the birth of your baby until the next one is almost due!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

This is what comes of "Marrying out" !!! :lol:

I fear that "Red Ed" will never quite live down the fact that he was elected -- not by the Members, Parliamentary Party etc. but by the Unions !

(I speak as a Trade Unionist --- I was never consulted !!)

Inelectable --- how about ineffectual ?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

What is this about registering babies? Don't they have to be registered within six weeks of the birth? I was chased for not having registered Maria - in fact I had, but in a different registration district and the information had not been transferred.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:re election

(I speak as a Trade Unionist --- I was never consulted !!)
Insulted (like many others)?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Red Ed and the other sibling.

How to make friends and inflence (NOT), members of your own family !

I LUV IT !

Looks like Big Bruv will probably get a highly paid, gravy-train style European post now.

NO CHANGE THERE, THEN !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:Red Ed and the other sibling.

How to make friends and inflence (NOT), members of your own family !

I LUV IT !

Looks like Big Bruv will probably get a highly paid, gravy-train style European post now.

NO CHANGE THERE, THEN !!
SWAMBO's suggestion is that Cameron will offer him something - just to cock a snook at Little Ed. Of the two, David seems the better one.