Housing Market

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Re: Housing Market

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I knew all of this from Facebook, Matt. And I can't express how sad and sorry and disgusted I feel about the way in which you have been treated. I hope that your so called vendor will now be blacklisted throughout the County, though that does not help you, Angie, Josh - or your new little one, expected very soon. Nor does it help the nice young people who were hoping to buy your flat. Moving house is always stressful but in this case I think you must have suffered stress x 2m%. I am so sorry about that, and as I said on Facebook, I expect that you are out of pocket financially, also. Too bl**dy unfair, on all counts. I hope that you will be happy and safe until the arrival of Josh's sibling and that subsequently you may be able to move on. If there is anything I could do to help, I would do so willingly.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Thanks Kerren... the vendors were a nice couple until they were totally adamant that the completion date had to be tomorrow - had they given us another few days, the flat would have been theirs! Oh well...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Matt, I am so sorry to hear all of this - if I typed what I think of them my computer might explode!

Try to take care of Angie and Josh now and recoup some emotional strength to face the future and whatever it will bring.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Matt....this must have been a horrid time for you all. Sadly the same sort of thing happened to me in the early 90's - it just goes to show that there are some horrid people out there. Perhaps the english way of buying/selling houses need to be changed to something like the Scottish system (perhaps someone could tell me if its as good as people say?).

In the meantime I hope the people who have caused you all the strife suffer from frozen pipes that mysteriously burst and unfreeze in the middle of the night.

It may, of course, be that there is a really nice house that will become free for you with a fabulous seller who will accommodate all your wishes and then a buyer who has no chain desperate to buy your house!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

There is so much blackmailgoing on in house moves. Our buyers rang the night before completion to say they couldn't get the last £5 k so we would have to drop the price if we wanted to continue.At one stage their solicitor had said we were including curtains in the sale. NO WAY. thenon moving day, our solicitor rang to say that he had their solicitor in his office saying he refused to hand over the money until we had deposited the keys with the estate agent. We were so angry that I took one set of keys to the agent, and took the rest away with us. We took great pleasure in being spiteful!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes, despite the anguish, stress and loss of dosh through which Matt, Angie and Josh have gone in the last few weeks (not to mention the additional stress caused by their new little arrival due in about six weeks time.......),lets hope that there is a silver lining and the perfect house will emerge very soon. Coupled with the perfect sale of their flat - and no ongoing chains, either end. I wonder how many people's plans crumbled this time because of the attitude of the people from whom Matt and Angie intended to buy? Even if only two or three, this is totally unacceptable in this day and age. Bring on the Scotland model!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

I'm really sorry to hear about your stressful experience Matt, and hope that everything will get sorted before your new arrival! We are just on the point of moving my elderly mum from her home of 30 years into sheltered accommodation closer to us; her house is to be let (hopefully!) rather than sold, and her new home will be rented, but the whole process has still been ghastly and is far from settled yet. It's always said that moving house is up there with bereavement and divorce in terms of life's most stressful exeriences, and I can well believe it ...
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

Chris Blewett wrote:Perhaps the english way of buying/selling houses need to be changed to something like the Scottish system (perhaps someone could tell me if its as good as people say?).
Well, the Scottish system does work quite well a lot of the time, but it has its own problems.

First of all, the idea that you can't back out of a deal in Scotland is simply not true. People back out quite often, and there is no legal sanction to stop them. At one time, there was a convention that your solicitor would decline to act further for you if you did back out, and you might then have some difficulty finding another solicitor to take your instructions. Not so nowadays.

Besides, there are times when you need to back out. What if your mortgage provider withdraws their deal at the last moment, or finds a reason to hold up payment? Or there's a fire or a major water leak on the day the deal is supposed to go through, or you suddenly fall seriously ill?

Last time I bought a house in Scotland, the sale of my previous house fell through; I had to complete the purchase of the new one; I had two houses for several months; it was almost impossible to sell the old one, and I got close to putting the new one back on the market. We ended up very much out of pocket, and took years to recover. I would have been quite glad to have the English system then. But in the end, we have the house that we wanted, and it's good.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

So --- good and bad news, it seems in equal measure.
Yes, the Scottish Law seems to be a much better, and more fair system.
My Grandson -- newly a Dad -- is desperate to find any rental accommodation, at a reasonable price, they had to move from their previous Flat, because the Midwife, put in writing, that because of damp walls and poor heating "It was UNFIT to bring a new-born baby into that environment"
I have suggested (I would, wouldn't I ? ) that the Midwife's letter be presented to the Council, who have a duty to ensure that Landlords provide proper accommodation !!

Does anybody watch "A place in the Country" ? have you noticed that the, prospective buyers are asked what their budget price is, ---- and then----
they are offered houses which are "Only" some £50, 000 in excess !! and on a main road, when they have small children !
this is after the Presenter of the programme has done a pretty good "Sales Job" before revealing the asking price !

I do wish that somebody would say "Don't be daft !" and get in their car !
---- of course it would never be broadcast !!! :lol:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Thank you for all your kind words... I must stop torturing myself, but today would have been our second day in our new house... oh well...

With only 8 weeks to go before the baby is due, our next plan is to take it off the market with our existing agents (who have been useless!) and put it on with another firm once it's tidied up again with a view to moving before Christmas... what joy...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Sorry to read of your housing traumas Matt.

We had similar fun and games when our second was on her way. These things eventually resolve themselves and often prove to be a blessing in disguise although you understandably won't see it like that just at the moment!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I too, have been following the saga on Facebook Matt !

The words, 'WALL' and 'SHOOTING' spring to mind, which would also apply to the b'stard that managed to get a virilant (sp ?) virus onto my computer, even through an excellent anti-virus screen.

5 days later and 70 quid poorer, and I'm back. HOWEVER ------ If I ever found out who was responsible........
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

The words, 'WALL' and 'SHOOTING' spring to mind, which would also apply to the b'stard that managed to get a virilant (sp ?) virus onto my computer, even through an excellent anti-virus screen.

5 days later and 70 quid poorer, and I'm back. HOWEVER ------ If I ever found out who was responsible........
It's virulent.

You have my sympathies JR; we've had to have our PC expensively overhauled twice after virus infections. And I know exactly who was responsible - our pesky sons, who despite numerous instructions to the contrary persist on downloading all sorts of c**p from unauthorised sources... The words 'wall' and 'shooting' have been used in this context also.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Many thanks for the correction. I just couldn't be @rsed to check it when I typed it, and it didn't look right !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Great Plum wrote:Thank you for all your kind words... I must stop torturing myself, but today would have been our second day in our new house... oh well...

With only 8 weeks to go before the baby is due, our next plan is to take it off the market with our existing agents (who have been useless!) and put it on with another firm once it's tidied up again with a view to moving before Christmas... what joy...
Matt - Can I offer some words from someone who is 'old' - torturing yourself is not going to help your wife or baby (some assumptions are being made!!) when it comes. What has happened has happened and you need now to concentrate on family stuff and just hunker down until the time is right to try again to move. When that time comes just think of it as a game with various steps to be taken (put the house on the market, find a buyer etc etc). Also....dont be so nice!!!!

I am a firm believer in 'fate' (thanks to the current Mrs B whose favorite saying is 'oh well, it wasn't meant to be') - all this has happened for a reason, I believe that the reason will be there is a much better house for you waiting to be found!

Enjoy your life and family...that really is all that matters in this horrid world that we have made!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73