Sainsbury's

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Sainsbury's

Post by Katharine »

Angela - just keep your mangoes way past the time the experts say! When we were first in Borneo a friend told young Patrick that you should never pick a mango, just wait until it drops from the tree. My hyperactive son became a changed child overnight, he just sat cross legged under the mango tree waiting and waiting! When one did drop the whoops of delight could be heard far and wide! He would rush with his prize to the kitchen.

We came back to Britain when he was 7, he had been telling my godmother how much he enjoyed mangoes, so one night when she came to babysit, she brought him one, this was the 80s when they weren't cheap. He showed a typical child's lack of social niceties saying with some disgust it wasn't a Borneo mango! I could have strangled him - but didn't!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:A Shining Star Award! Isn't that lovely?

I can hardly wait to get to a Sainbury's to identify a new Shining Star. :D

Ben... I've, like, got this passion for mangoes. Is there a dedicated mango-ripening temperature-adjusted area in the Fruit Storage facility, where a mango expert performs a daily analysis and labels them Ready-To-Eat? I seem to be really unlucky in finding mangoes that aren't cannonball solid! Oh, how I love them! (But not the variety Tommy Atkins. Tommy Atkins must be the most fibrous mango.)

Slurp, slurp. :wink:

It's mango season here at the moment, and one of my asian colleagues has introduced me to a new variety - skinny stone (so more flesh), and as they become over-ripe they become floralish (rather than smelling like vomit). Yum, yum, yum.

As for choosing ripe ones: gently squeeze (not enough to bruise), and give them a good sniff (although at least one variety isn't fragrant when ripe).

xx
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:It's mango season here at the moment, and one of my asian colleagues has introduced me to a new variety - skinny stone (so more flesh), and as they become over-ripe they become floralish (rather than smelling like vomit). Yum, yum, yum.

As for choosing ripe ones: gently squeeze (not enough to bruise), and give them a good sniff (although at least one variety isn't fragrant when ripe).
Well, this is it, innit? :? I'm pretty good at *gently squeezing (but not enough to bruise) and giving a good sniff!

It's just that choosing a chilled supermarket mango isn't like that... they are usually absolutely rock solid. Fearsomely solid enough to be able to chuck one at a Taleban operative and witness instant flight! That's why I was asking Ben about Sainsbury's store ripening method! How I miss London fruit stalls, and marvellous Asian shops, where mangoes are ripe! The brown paper bag on the windowsill method is sometimes effective, but occasionally results in an interior decay of the mango within. :cry:

Once, I found an unusual mango variety at a Waitrose - a beautiful golden plump mango in a "Speciality Fruit" section. I seized on it with a cry of bliss, and, I'm ashamed to admit, it cost me £2.00. It was definitely worth every penny. I just can't remember its name! I wonder what Caroline's new floral-scented mango is called? It sounds gorgeous!

How wonderful, Katharine, to sit under a mango tree in Borneo and wait for the fruit to drop. What a lovely image!

*Men and mangoes... choose them in the same way....
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Angela Woodford wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:As for choosing ripe ones: gently squeeze (not enough to bruise), and give them a good sniff (although at least one variety isn't fragrant when ripe).
oo-er! :lol:
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Do you have to put them in brown paper bags on your windowsill to get them to mature too? I wonder if I can find a big enough bag anywhwere?
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

You're NOT putting MINE into a brown paper-bag on YOUR window-sill, Missus !!! :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

J.R. wrote:You're NOT putting MINE into a brown paper-bag on YOUR window-sill, Missus !!! :oops:
You have a man? How very right-on of you to admit it in an open forum. Does Jan know? :wink:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

mvgrogan wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:As for choosing ripe ones: gently squeeze (not enough to bruise), and give them a good sniff (although at least one variety isn't fragrant when ripe).
oo-er! :lol:
While waiting for them to drop ???

On arrival in S.Africa my Boys were asked if they would like an Apricot.
"Yes Please" they replied (To my surprise and pride !) and waited -------
"Well go and pick one" they were told -------

Five minutes later we were out in the Garden stopping them !!!

(They were only 12 and 7 !)
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

ermm :? i'll look into that one!
The ones that came in today (Brazilian atm) were dated the 26th as the display until date, and by that date they will definitely be ripe! sometimes they have gone a bit too far after the 4 days though. We display them chilled in my store, 6-8 degrees, but they are stored ambient in the warehouse. Deliveries do regularly get rejected for not being ripe enough when received into depot.

By the way, looks like we have some colourful new trailers to look out for if you're out on the motorway!
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

1 question, 1 fact.....

question: where would you expect to find bovril?! had this one the other day and it caught me out

fact: self-scan machines don't like getting a bottle of wine smashed over them, which May possibly short out 5 at once and take 2 days to fix :p
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

ben ashton wrote:1 question, 1 fact.....

question: where would you expect to find bovril?! had this one the other day and it caught me out

:p

Not something that I would normally buy, but would look for it with the Marmite, which I find with the lemon curd, peanut butter, jam, etc.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Apologies if this is a repeat of a message that seems to have got lost.

Apologies Munch: it didn't occur to me that mangos would be stored chilled (they aren't here). However, if I take a cheek for lunch, I might leave the remains in my fridge, and it never, ever goes hard. So, I would say that hard = unripe, regardless of the temperature of the fruit at the time :)
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
ben ashton wrote:1 question, 1 fact.....

:p

Not something that I would normally buy, but would look for it with the Marmite, which I find with the lemon curd, peanut butter, jam, etc.

Please sir I know this one sir sir sir !!! Not with the marmite and jams, but with stocks and sauces. There's a fine line between spreads and flavourings, and evidently marmite falls one side and bovril the other. Well, in our local Sainsbury's anyway.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Jo is turning into John Sessions.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »