What Funerary Arrangements Would You Want?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: What Funerary Arrangements Would You Want?

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

While on the subject of the "Deceased" ----

My Grandfather -- WO1 RSM Edward Evans DCM, Royal Horse Artillery,(A pretty frightening character !)
died in his bed, during the night, at 64.

His Wife (Nee Sarah Alice O'Neill 4ft 10 Inches) waited until the morning, to visit her neighbour, to announce his death.

"Were you not afraid ? " asked the neighbour-------

Her reply, has been viewed, by the Family as evidence of a great Marriage ------ "I wasn't frightened of him, when he was alive -- why should I be frifgtened of him when he is dead ?"
I treasure it ! :)
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

I was reminded of this thread today, when I spotted a book entitled "How to Have a Good Death" in Poundland (often a source of unexpectedly good literary bargains!).

I briefly considered buying this book for my 83 year old mum, but somehow I couldn't quite picture any circumstances in which it might make a welcome gift... perhaps it's the sort of title you really need to buy for yourself! So if anyone is looking for ideas and advice on funerary arrangements, check out your local Poundland!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

ailurophile wrote:I was reminded of this thread today, when I spotted a book entitled "How to Have a Good Death" in Poundland (often a source of unexpectedly good literary bargains!).

I briefly considered buying this book for my 83 year old mum, but somehow I couldn't quite picture any circumstances in which it might make a welcome gift... perhaps it's the sort of title you really need to buy for yourself! So if anyone is looking for ideas and advice on funerary arrangements, check out your local Poundland!

I'll be in mine in Horsham one day next week !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

A certain "gentleman" I know moved to the Peak District and more particularly next to the village church and opposite the pub. His avowed reason is that when he dies all his widow has to do is dump him over the wall into the cemetery. My own view is that she would have problems getting him out of the pub.
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

sejintenej wrote:My own view is that she would have problems getting him out of the pub.
I imagine the pub will throw him out when he stops buying drinks.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

eucsgmrc wrote:
sejintenej wrote:My own view is that she would have problems getting him out of the pub.
I imagine the pub will throw him out when he stops buying drinks.

.... or starts to smell a bit 'off' !!

:shock:
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Strangely enough, when Nelson died at Trafalgar his body was shipped home in a cask of brandy - not rum, as some have claimed.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And the first Duke of Clarence, George, chose death by drowing in a butt of Malmsey. 1478?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

There is apparently a company in Yorkshire (Hainsworth's Natural Legacy Caskets) who make woolen coffins, each woven from the fleece of three sheep, and of course fully biodegradable. As a would-be handweaver I was quite smitten by this idea, but on reflection I think I would prefer the wicker coffin with flowers tucked in the weave. I once visited a natural burial ground at Scraptoft, Leicester with my son-in-law and found it a very pleasant place, although a bit windswept (I think Maria was away in Paris for a 'hen weekend' - possibly her own?). Since we no longer have any links with Scraptoft though, I guess I shall need to look for somewhere nearer to home. There is a long list of them on the website mentioned earlier, many of them in Surrey or Sussex. [a stray thought - I wonder if there is a knitting pattern available for the DIY woolen coffin? Or perhaps this is the incentive I need to get out the loom which has been lurking for years in the shed?]

ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

We chose a willow coffin for my dad, made locally to my parents' home in Somerset. I seem to remember that the website for the company that made the coffin suggested somewhat bizarrely that you could ask to take it home after the funeral. My sister was tempted... she thought it might serve as useful home storage and make an unusual talking point!

Interestingly, while browsing through 'How to have a good death' (I went back to Poundland and bought this for my own bookshelf!) I have discovered that there is no requirement to have a coffin at all, or indeed any form of funeral service; you can apparently simply send the body to the crematorium/ burial ground wrapped in a shroud. Mind you, my dad's own expressed preference was for his remains to be "put in a bin liner and taken to the municipal tip", which as far as I can discover is not a viable option.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I think it was in Elizabethan times (the other Elizabeth!) that it was compulsory for bodies to be wrapped in a woolen shroud, in order to boost the English wool trade?

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Without being in the market for one (there are Local Planning Consent complications which require that I be buried in a coffin in a specified place) I have heard of cardboard coffins being used for green funerals.

Reading this thread and especially Interestingly,
while browsing through 'How to have a good death' (I went back to Poundland and bought this for my own bookshelf!) I have discovered that there is no requirement to have a coffin at all, or indeed any form of funeral service; you can apparently simply send the body to the crematorium/ burial ground wrapped in a shroud
by Ailurophile I had to wonder who has the authority to demand and enforce that that Russian be buried in a lead lined casket. Yes, it was sensible but Big Brother at work?
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Fjgrogan wrote:I think it was in Elizabethan times (the other Elizabeth!) that it was compulsory for bodies to be wrapped in a woolen shroud, in order to boost the English wool trade?
This law continued for a 100 yrs or more. In old church registers one often comes across the phrase "buried in wool". if one wanted a coffin one had to pay a fine,
Col A 1946-1953
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Alan P5age wrote:
sejintenej wrote:A certain "gentleman" I know moved to the Peak District and more particularly next to the village church and opposite the pub. His avowed reason is that when he dies all his widow has to do is dump him over the wall into the cemetery. My own view is that she would have problems getting him out of the pub.
Reminds me of the guy who drowned in a vat of Whiskey at a local brewery. It was a long, slow process. He even got out to use the toilet three times.

...... and it took 3 days for the creamatoria burners to die down !

:axe: