Riots, London and Elsewhere

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Riots, London and Elsewhere

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Under "Elsewhere"

Great news on the "Capture of Tripoli" in all the papers and Radio ---------

THE FIRST CASUALTY OF WAR ----- IS TRUTH !!!!

I am afraid that I am unimpressed by fighters who bemoan lack of ammunition ---- and shoot it all into the air !!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

........... and of course Neill, as I think I may have already stated on here, Caterham Barracks no longer exist.

Yet another high-price gated community !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Alan P5age wrote:
I was reading today about a young lad in Salford who was wrongly arrested for being involved in acts of looting, spent a week in custody then came out to find his flat had been trashed and burnt out. Even more depressing.
There is a horror story in the paper today about a lad who dialled 999 because he was being threatened. 11 officers handcuffed him, restrained his legs, pepper sprayed him, kicked and him and threw him in the back of a van using his legs and arms; he died. The police story is that he was arrested for affray (even though only family members were in the house) and their statement includes no words of remorse or regret, only the suggestion that it was the victim's own fault.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... icers.html
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

J.R. wrote:........... and of course Neill, as I think I may have already stated on here, Caterham Barracks no longer exist.

I was fortunate enough to be "Barracked" (No comments please ! that happened when I entered Politics :lol: ) in the Fox lines, not in the main Fotress.
Fox lines were so named because it contained a Pub -- which gave it the name.
The Irish Guards -- which I graced, at that time, were so stationed ---it would have to be the Irish --- although the chances of meeting a Drill Sergeant there were vastly more dangerous :oops: -- hence the trips to Croydon !!
Life seemed Hell, at the time, whilst I was learning my Trade, as a Soldier -- but years later, as an Adjutant, it was nice to know that I knew more about Drill, than anybody on the Square -- including the Sergeant Major -- and what is more, he knew that I knew ! (Is there a smiley for "SMUG" ??)

I don't remember any complaints, at Caterham, regarding "Human Rights " ---- :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Some time ago, I was commenting on the practice of firing small-arms into the air, by people who were complaining about lack of ammunition !

I note, today, that the "Rebels" have asked their supporters to decease --- and it has been reported, on TV that injuries are caused by this practice ------

What goes up -------- !!!

The TDC are complainig to Algeria, about letting some of Ghaddafi's family being allowed to cross over the border ------- :oops:

Have you seen the Libyan/Algerian border ? --- I have, it is a vast area of desert --- patrolled ? I don't think so !!! :lol:
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

Quite enjoyed (in the most sarcastic sense of the word) how Cameron and friends jumped to blame single parent families for the riots - totally ridiculous - I know many many people who grew up in single parent families who are incredibly well balanced people who wouldn't think of looting or rioting. Lazy blame I feel.
Also re: evicting people who rioted - those who are evicted will just end up homeless and local authorities have an obligation to house those who are homeless - so it'll just cost more of our hard earned taxpayer money to deal with them in the long run. And assumes that all rioters live in council housing. Not true.

Also on the point of MPs expenses - you'll all be pleased to know that the expenses system has got so strict and bureaucratic I've been waiting for almost 5 months for £200 worth of train fares. And the budgets have been so squeezed staff now have to pay to go to their own party conferences which they have to work at. Wouldn't be acceptable in any other profession.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Hannoir wrote:Quite enjoyed (in the most sarcastic sense of the word) how Cameron and friends jumped to blame single parent families for the riots - totally ridiculous - I know many many people who grew up in single parent families who are incredibly well balanced people who wouldn't think of looting or rioting. Lazy blame I feel.
Also re: evicting people who rioted - those who are evicted will just end up homeless and local authorities have an obligation to house those who are homeless - so it'll just cost more of our hard earned taxpayer money to deal with them in the long run. And assumes that all rioters live in council housing. Not true.

Also on the point of MPs expenses - you'll all be pleased to know that the expenses system has got so strict and bureaucratic I've been waiting for almost 5 months for £200 worth of train fares. And the budgets have been so squeezed staff now have to pay to go to their own party conferences which they have to work at. Wouldn't be acceptable in any other profession.
This will make you feel better :wink:

http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... press.html
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I couldn't agree with Hanoir more !!!
Dorset supplied some 500 Officers. at our cost'

I am paid the princely su of 40p a mile for attending the Independent Police Advisory Committee, lasting well after 10 pm at night.

There is now talk of cutting this. --- which is fair enough if it keeps more Coppers on the streets, however I have just seen what the Weymouth Olympic Security will cost ---- don't ask !!

JR to comment ?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I couldn't agree with Hanoir more !!!
Dorset supplied some 500 Officers. at our cost'

I am paid the princely su of 40p a mile for attending the Independent Police Advisory Committee, lasting well after 10 pm at night.

There is now talk of cutting this. --- which is fair enough if it keeps more Coppers on the streets, however I have just seen what the Weymouth Olympic Security will cost ---- don't ask !!

JR to comment ?

I'm already in trouble in my local Dorking hostelry for opining that the Olympic bike race should go anywhere, APART THROUGH DORKING HIGH STREET.

It seems our town will be isolated for nearly ten hours !!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
I'm already in trouble in my local Dorking hostelry for opining that the Olympic bike race should go anywhere, APART THROUGH DORKING HIGH STREET.

Ensure that you have enough ambulances for the majority of competitors; the last (and only) Olympic cycling event I saw was a bloodbath almost literally; cycles were sliding on the blood of earlier contestants, throwing their riders into the brick wall in front (it was at a tee junction). The Tour de France has a reputation for injuries - and some deaths, and that is what your event will be like.

As for being isolated be thankful you don't have it every year as happens in this area. At least the Tour teams hand out goodies to those watching.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

They've already had a shortened practice run, and as I understand it, one 'competitor' was badly injured, though not in the Dorking area, although Dorking town centre was shut off for a couple of hours.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:
J.R. wrote:........... and of course Neill, as I think I may have already stated on here, Caterham Barracks no longer exist.

I was fortunate enough to be "Barracked" (No comments please ! that happened when I entered Politics :lol: ) in the Fox lines, not in the main Fotress.
Fox lines were so named because it contained a Pub -- which gave it the name.
The Irish Guards -- which I graced, at that time, were so stationed ---it would have to be the Irish --- although the chances of meeting a Drill Sergeant there were vastly more dangerous :oops: -- hence the trips to Croydon !!
Life seemed Hell, at the time, whilst I was learning my Trade, as a Soldier -- but years later, as an Adjutant, it was nice to know that I knew more about Drill, than anybody on the Square -- including the Sergeant Major -- and what is more, he knew that I knew ! (Is there a smiley for "SMUG" ??)

I don't remember any complaints, at Caterham, regarding "Human Rights " ---- :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEILL.
I have sent you a PM regarding this post, which you seem to have missed.

John.
bluegrunt
3rd Former

Post by bluegrunt »

Hannoir wrote:Also on the point of MPs expenses - you'll all be pleased to know that the expenses system has got so strict and bureaucratic I've been waiting for almost 5 months for £200 worth of train fares. And the budgets have been so squeezed staff now have to pay to go to their own party conferences which they have to work at. Wouldn't be acceptable in any other profession.
Is politics a profession? What qualifications do you need to enter politics? :wink:

Furthermore, waiting 5 months for payment is not necessarily evidence of strict bureaucracy. It looks more like supreme inefficiency to me.
Last edited by bluegrunt on Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LHA 69-72; Col A 72-75
bluegrunt
3rd Former

Post by bluegrunt »

J.R. wrote:I'm already in trouble in my local Dorking hostelry for opining that the Olympic bike race should go anywhere, APART THROUGH DORKING HIGH STREET.
The Olympics in Dorking? Dreadful. What is the world coming to?
LHA 69-72; Col A 72-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

bluegrunt wrote:
J.R. wrote:I'm already in trouble in my local Dorking hostelry for opining that the Olympic bike race should go anywhere, APART THROUGH DORKING HIGH STREET.
The Olympics in Dorking? Dreadful. What is the world coming to?

Sailing at Weymouth !!

It is an area always difficult to visit or transit and they are now working on the A31 at Canfprd Roundabout with a fly-over to ease traffic -----
Nobody seems to have noticed that, within a few miles, the A31 becomes a winding road, with a history of accidents,

The winding road is unlikely to be straightened, since it borders the Drax Estate, whch has been owned by the Family for generations.

The current Conservative MP for the area is Mr Drax