Riots, London and Elsewhere

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Re: Riots, London and Elsewhere

Post by Fjgrogan »

The cycle road race which goes through Dorking is, I think, the same one that will pass through Kingston-upon-Thames, going the wrong way round the one-way system, which will involve closing the town and access to Kingston Bridge. The actual race time will only take a matter of minutes, but the resulting traffic chaos will last for hours!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

As a Dorking resident and keen cyclist I am delighted the Olympic race is coming through our town! I am hoping to cheer Mark cavendish on his way to our first gold medal of the Olympics (fingers crossed).
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I saw on the local BBC TV news last night, that so many cyclists are now riding up and down the zig-zag road, Box Hill, extra police patrols have been utilised to ensure law and order and discourage 'road-rage' !.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
bluegrunt
3rd Former

Post by bluegrunt »

CHDad wrote:As a Dorking resident and keen cyclist I am delighted the Olympic race is coming through our town! I am hoping to cheer Mark cavendish on his way to our first gold medal of the Olympics (fingers crossed).
Well said.
LHA 69-72; Col A 72-75
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Fjgrogan wrote:The cycle road race which goes through Dorking is, I think, the same one that will pass through Kingston-upon-Thames, going the wrong way round the one-way system, which will involve closing the town and access to Kingston Bridge. The actual race time will only take a matter of minutes, but the resulting traffic chaos will last for hours!
I visted Twickenham a couple of months back when they had a trial run one weekend!

I avoided the worst of it fortunately but can imagine that it must be an absolute nightmare for residents.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Re Cyclists ---- TBA and I were camping in Southern France, near a village through which the "Tour" would pass.

We thought the main event were the advertising vehicles, and the souvenirs, which were thrown to the spectators !

As to the "Tour" itself ------- don't blink !! :oops:
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:

Sailing at Weymouth !!
And don't we know about it! 20 years of roadworks have just been completed over the course of the last year or so. They have taken up most of the roundabouts and replaced them with traffic lights. The road network is now a shambles and we are the proud owners of "Kamikaze Junction."

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Nobody seems to have noticed that, within a few miles, the A31 becomes a winding road, with a history of accidents,

The winding road is unlikely to be straightened, since it borders the Drax Estate, whch has been owned by the Family for generations.
It appears barely a month goes by without more bricks from that wall being demolished. I noticed numerous patches of repairs on the wall when I went that way last weekend.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Vonny wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: Sailing at Weymouth !!
And don't we know about it! ......... The road network is now a shambles and we are the proud owners of "Kamikaze Junction."
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Nobody seems to have noticed that, within a few miles, the A31 becomes a winding road, with a history of accidents,The winding road is unlikely to be straightened, since it borders the Drax Estate, whch has been owned by the Family for generations.
It appears barely a month goes by without more bricks from that wall being demolished. I noticed numerous patches of repairs on the wall when I went that way last weekend.
To mix up two Olympic events, in a past Olympics the cycling course included a long steep downhill with a Tee junction at the bottom, a brick wall fronting the riders whose brakes - in 1948 - were not up to the job. Yes, I suspect there were a few bricks out of the wall.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Possibly to match the number of bricks in the heads of the "Planners" !
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

The news this morning has a bit about research done by the Guardian with the rioters who blame......
1) The Police
2) The Government
3) The cut in benefits

for the rioting.......

They even had a young man talkin in a hoody who was blaming everyone but himself...

init!!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

innit --- whatever like !
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:innit --- whatever like !
Sorry - not being in my vocabulary I wasnt too sure of the spelling!!!!!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

They have recently built the Olympic mountain biking course near here(Southend) at Hadleigh Castle. It is absolutely georgeous, overlooking the thames estuary. We used to keep our caravan there, - pity they closed the site, we would have had a good view....