Hockney

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Hockney

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I've just come home from the 'Bigger Picture' David Hockney exhibition at the Royal Academy.
I am not creative myself (and went up there largely to help a friend who was desperate to go... I drove up and back, and made all the arrangements) but I would say that it is a fantastic exhibition. I learned so much beforehand from TV programmes (e.g. Andrew Marr, The Culture Show, earlier this week) and though I did not 'like' all that I saw, I could see where he was coming from on most occasions and admired the way in which, in later work, he has developed the 'eye, heart, hand' philosophy from his interest in Chinese paintings. I spent a fair old bit in the shop afterwards..............
Anyone else seen the exhibition and have anything to comment?
I would add that the Royal Academy was fantastically supportive for disabled visitors - I made all the arrangements beforehand but on the day they could not have been more helpful. (We even got in for free....). The only trouble was that it was heaving with people, not all of whom tolerated disabled people in buggys (though most of them did). There were several people using chariots, as I was, and in tight corners it was a bit hairy!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Hockney

Post by eucsgmrc »

In the early 60s, a self-appointed committee of students spent an inordinate amount of our Junior Common Room's funds - probably more than £100! - on a large and hideous canvas by some unknown dauber. I was numbered among the noisy objectors. It was, of course, a Hockney, and I was, of course, a bumptious and ignorant twerp. I would blame CH for delivering me to university in such a disgraceful intellectual condition, but it was my own fault for paying no attention to Ann Todd.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I wonder what happened to it?! Might be worth a bob or two by now...
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

eucsgmrc wrote:In the early 60s, a self-appointed committee of students spent an inordinate amount of our Junior Common Room's funds - probably more than £100! - on a large and hideous canvas by some unknown dauber. I was numbered among the noisy objectors. It was, of course, a Hockney, and I was, of course, a bumptious and ignorant twerp. I would blame CH for delivering me to university in such a disgraceful intellectual condition, but it was my own fault for paying no attention to Ann Todd.

The lovely Ann Todd ! Probably my saviour in early days in Coleridge B.

Not a great lover of modernist painting, but I have to admit that what I've seen of some of his 'Yorkshire' collection really excites me !

And on an artistic theme, my newly discovered half-brother is now a recognised marine artist, and has just returned from a successful exhibition in the US. Not bad for someone who spent his working life as a member of the R.A.F.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.