Politics

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

loringa
Deputy Grecian

Re: Politics

Post by loringa »

rockfreak wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:50 pm Well the reason for that Phil is that when you're my sort of age you're struggling to deal with matters of PC and never quite sure who you're going to offend. Actually I'd rather imagined that any kickback I might get would be from some of the humourless drones who frequent this site and always seem to be taking an opportunity to have ago at me. So maybe I just tread carefully. Does anyone remember the days when the Daily Mirror columnist Cassandra had a go at Liberace and lost the resultant libel case because he'd labelled the exotic, piano playing old queen "fruit flavoured"?
Well, that could be because you are so rude: to people, as evidenced above, and about people as demonstrated by your utter certainty you are correct in your world view, particularly your opinions about how other people should educate their children. No-one 'has a go at you' when you write about music which is clearly something you understand and know a lot about.

More broadly, your intense dislike of the institution of Christ's Hospital, despite your presence on this forum, may find favour with some contributors but is unlikely to endear you to most of us. As for your use of the term 'fruits' and your subsequent justification of its use, that sounds rather like the 'I'm not homophobic but ...' approach. I would imagine, like so many of your generation, you are not sexist but ..., and you're not racist but ... (actually you did post some fairly negative comments about Jewish conspiracies some time back so may be you are).

I sense that you are utterly confident in the rightness of your views and your right to express them as you will. I suspect that, in your mind, you are one of those people who thinks 'they say it as it is' which, of course, means 'say it as you believe it to be'. We 'humourless drones' unblessed as we are by your all-seeing wisdom will continue to take issue with what you post for as long as you keep on so doing and, quite frankly, we can be @rsed to respond.

Just try and be a bit nicer if you don't like people 'having a go at you'. OTOH, I rather thought you did.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

loringa wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:16 am Just try and be a bit nicer if you don't like people 'having a go at you'. OTOH, I rather thought you did.
The words 'nail, 'on' and 'head' spring to mind! :lol: :lol:
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Here's where I decided to put the boot in, and you can go right back to the start of this site to see it. I started the Politics site to smoke out any like minded activists and mentioned my actions with UKUncut, including ending with "bring on the revolution" which I imagined would be taken with a pinch of salt as indeed I delivered it. Straight away came a response from Avon who asked if UKUncut was a typo and making other facetious comments. I patiently tried to explain my position but the comments keep coming until Anniefx weighed in mentioning her membership of a campaign group and describing my correspondents as a sad lot. And indeed the remarks from people like Avon were like a burst of deja vu because I remember from my time at CH that this sort of comment was rather typical of a certain type of English public schoolboy who likes to put down or trivialise anyone who appears to take anything seriously. Boris Johnson is typical of the genre.

As to Jewish conspiracy theories, I don't think I've ever subscribed to the "George Soros and worldwide Jewish conspiracy" schtick that is sometimes floated about - often by right wing malcontents on the Trumpist wing of politics. I've mentioned the Jewish lobby in America which is a fact of life, although a news feature in today's Guardian says that the evangelical Christians are actually more of a threat to Biden's majority over matters of Israel. It's why American presidents never take a big stick to Israel and its disgraceful expansionist tendencies. And yes I'm anti Israel just as I was anti apartheid South Africa.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Well that was a brief stint for Poots
And it's nothing to do with the fruits.
He's been squeezed in a sandwich:
DUP, Gaelic language,
It's left us all having the hoots.

On the same news bulletin today was an item about the Byzantine politics in Iran and it struck me that the two countries have some similarities in this respect. Mad mullahs on the one hand: Prudish Presbyterians on the other. Perhaps Sejintenej can throw some light on these strange NI matters. One thing I do like about England is that we generally take religion with a pinch of salt, if we take it at all. This isn't intended to put down the likes of Keibat who I imagine use the often inspiring parables of the Gospels as a prompt for living the ethical life. My problem is always with dogma which other societies often seem to take literally.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:45 pm Mad mullahs on the one hand: Prudish Presbyterians on the other. Perhaps Sejintenej can throw some light on these strange NI matters.
Quite simple really. Ireland was separated as the result of a vote by all adults. Most counties voted for independence and got it. Six counties voted to stay in the UK - those were the ones which had a protestant majority. The Catholics, as is their wont started breeding like rabbits to get a majority but have failed miserably so they started shooting the Protestants so they could get a majority - and failed miserably. (That is the protestant view but when I look at my own mother's protestant family it is not quite as they claim)..Now they are merely demanding effective union with the south backed by that EU unmentionable against the wishes of the majority. Unfortunately there is discord as to how much the majority should allow the minority to gain.

One element is language. Much of north western Eire is gaelic speaking (as are the western islands in Scotland) but learning gaelic, once a demand for further education in Eire has been dropped. Now the Ulster catholics are demanding that gaelic be taught in the north.

OK - couple of my family elements. My cousin from the north and a protestant was offered a place at a uni in Dublin but was forbidden to take it because at that time Eire required him to take one year of gaelic language. My niece is from the south and had to take gaelic at school and considers it a waste of time - she could never speak the language and has forgotten it as did my mother. I do not speak gaelic (either type) but looking at the Irish gaelic not only does it look strange but even the letters are not pronounced as we say them. It's worse than the slav languages
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Sejintenej, let's unpack this comment of yours about the Catholics breeding like rabbits and shooting people. As I recall it, it all started with the civil rights march in 1968 led by Bernadette Devlin (as then was) which was protesting about Catholics being discriminated against in jobs and housing and being constantly stopped by the overwhelmingly Protestant RUC in much the same way as black people are stopped on sus over here. The march was apparently attacked by a Loyalist mob and by the RUC, and things polarised and degenerated from then on.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:26 pm Sejintenej, let's unpack this comment of yours about the Catholics breeding like rabbits and shooting people. As I recall it, it all started with the civil rights march in 1968 led by Bernadette Devlin (as then was) which was protesting about Catholics being discriminated against in jobs and housing and being constantly stopped by the overwhelmingly Protestant RUC in much the same way as black people are stopped on sus over here. The march was apparently attacked by a Loyalist mob and by the RUC, and things polarised and degenerated from then on.
you start wrong in line 2. The problem existed in 1948 when I lived there and had existed for 20 years before that. Your remark about the overwhelmingly protestant RUC parallels the current situation of coloured and the UK police - they simply don't want to join (with a few exceptions).
A peeler stops someone for an offence and you get a riot of the subject's cronies so the peelers attempt to control the riot and it gets out of hand. Go to Belfast today (well 18 months ago when I was last there) - it is like central London in 1953 when I first marched there - a chronic wasteland but in Belfast it was not the nazis but the inhabitants. That is why there is a high wall, why people fear to walk in much of the city.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

A double whammy from Le Freak today. One letter published in the FT Weekend edition and another in the Grauniad. In the FT I respond to one of their pundits last week who seemed to be blaming the Bank of England for inflation and comparing today's Tory scenario with the inflation and upheavals of the 1970s. Not so said I. The independent Bank only controls monetary policy and cannot be held responsible for the mistakes of politicians (who handle fiscal policy) and are usually the real cause of inflation or recession. I took a fine toothcomb to the events of the 1970s, trying to tease out exterior "events" from political missteps.
My letter to the Grauniad took issue with the excitement that surrounded a few measly cabinet sackings by Bumbling Bozza the Bullingdon Buffoon. I pointed out that in 1962 Macmillan had sacked a third of his cabinet. And in 1967 Harold Wilson did a similar thing. I recounted that I'd been working in Fleet Street at the time and that when I went out at lunchtime there appeared to be an air of amusement on the street. This became clear when I saw the newspaper billboards which proclaimed: "Wilson gets out his chopper".
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

The TRUTH about politics for those who know "better"

https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... 97#p149897
rockfreak
Grecian

The timely defenestration of Bonehead

Post by rockfreak »

Hooray! At last the Tory MP Peter Bone has been found out. Apart from the fact that he was a Brexiteer I always found him pompous and arrogant. He was a well-advertised, so-called Christian (the Plymouth Brethren in this case) but he always seemed too arrogant to me. After all we were always taught at school that pride was a Roman virtue and humility a Christian. So when it emerged that Bonehead had been bullying a junior employee as well as dangling his Boneheadian b*llocks in this unfortunate person's face I was not entirely surprised. Will the citizens of Wellingborough rise to the occasion and overturn his big majority at the next election?