Politics

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Politics

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:44 am I'm still awaiting my ordanance survey map for Hell and a recent Autotrader for second hand handcarts.
John; you should know better - it is Kartverket which is responsible for maps of Hell and surrounding areas, not Ordnance Survey. I threw mine away years ago. Alternatively you could ask BSES to do a map later this summer unless they already have a target agreed.

For handcarts just go up to Spitalfields - they should have a few redundant ones lying around for the taking
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

A new outlet for Freaky. I get a letter into Private Eye: P22 in the current issue headed "Ties that bind". The ties in question are the old school ones. Their reviewer, covering a couple of books about the public school system, had said that what the critics of these schools couldn't account for was the tip top education that these schools provided. I replied that part of the so-called tip top education was the ability of the public schools to use the old school tie network to bounce modest talents into desirable and well-paid jobs.
I have to confess to having had a leg up when I left CH. An Old Blue relative got me a start in an advertising agency. It didn't work out, it wasn't my thing although I picked up a few bits of knowledge about the media. And a couple of sideways moves got me eventually into magazine journalism which was my metier. Would I have got there otherwise? It's a moot point. Christ's Hospital, like other public schools, works to get its leavers into a niche somewhere. Although this doesn't seem to have worked with Sejintenej who admits to having had no careers advice and left CH trudging sadly away with his few belongings in a spotted handkerchief over his shoulder and his cat at his heels until he was halfway up Highgate Hill and the bells seemed to be saying "Turn again Banker Brown, Currency exchange wizard of London".
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I wonder if any CH pupils managed to bunk off to attend the Climate Change protests last week.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:40 pm
I replied that part of the so-called tip top education was the ability of the public schools to use the old school tie network to bounce modest talents into desirable and well-paid jobs.
Might work for Eton but not CH. Outside OB day I have only met one Old Blue since I left CH (when we were waiting for the train and he was wearing an OB tie)
Christ's Hospital, like other public schools, works to get its leavers into a niche somewhere. Although this doesn't seem to have worked with Sejintenej who admits to having had no careers advice and left CH trudging sadly away with his few belongings in a spotted handkerchief over his shoulder and his cat at his heels until he was halfway up Highgate Hill and the bells seemed to be saying "Turn again Banker Brown, Currency exchange wizard of London".
Laughing my head off. No handkerchief, spotted or otherwise, no cat (they put me into hospital several times including a wek ago), and no trip up Highhgate Hill (never been there I don't think). I did have a fiver and a passport.
More accurately it was a heavy load carrier on my back, train to Newcastle, boats to Bodo and train to Sulitjelma. It was an Old Etonian who started me off - first by getting me into CH and, after my first job, into his family bank where I picked up a nasty killer disease (even got a fever relapse on the Brecon Beacons in a tent in deep snow - three weeks off work). I left them after nine years. Currency exchange wizard? you don't have to be a wizard to deal Renmibi. My specialities were risk analysis, law (still doing 80 hours a year up to retirement) and a few other concepts as well.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Just read your letter in Private Eye, Freaky, it was one of those weeks from h*ll last week, so never got round to reading much of Private Eye, just enjoyed the cartoons, as ever!

Can’t think how CH set me up in any way. I remember a job interview in the 80s, by then I’d taught in Ghana, Pakistan and Malaysia, and this was Wimbledon. The Headmistress looked over my cv and her opening words were Christ’s Hospital and Oxford, well at least your education was conventional.. I did get the job!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Visited the Extinction Rebellion camp at Hyde Park yesterday. Lovely atmosphere. Loads of friendly people. Evoked the spirit of Summer of '67 (which I am old enough to remember). Pleased to hear via the official CHOBA site that some pupils were involved in the Children Against Climate Change demos. Good for them. I hope that they keep their radicalism into old age better than my disgraceful generation of war babies and baby boomers have managed.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

One Old Blue who has not lost his activism is Mark Thomas, I just wish he still had his TV show as a vehicle for the big "in your face" stings he used to pull off (The arms fair one was the best closely followed by his float in the Lord Mayor's show
loringa
Deputy Grecian

The BBC

Post by loringa »

From The Times on line:

Senior figures in Corbyn’s team counterattacked last night, criticising the BBC’s approach. A Labour source said: “Rather than investigating anti-semitism in the Labour Party in a balanced and impartial way, Panorama appears to have predetermined its outcome and created a programme to fit a one-sided narrative.

“Meanwhile, the BBC has ignored recent polling showing that nearly half of Conservative members hold racist and Islamophobic views — the very people who are about to choose our next prime minister. With a possible general election around the corner, this smacks of bias and interference in the political process by the BBC and a clear breach of their own editorial guidelines.

“We’re complaining to the director-general. We have serious concerns about how they have used taxpayers’ money to produce this programme.”

How amusing to see the left criticising the BBC for its right-wing bias. We usually hear the right complaining of the exact opposite!
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Avon wrote: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:23 pm Blocking the traffic? Ooooh how radical.

Are you sure UK Uncut isn't a typo?
p1ss funny...
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: The BBC

Post by Otter »

loringa wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:35 pm How amusing to see the left criticising the BBC for its right-wing bias. We usually hear the right complaining of the exact opposite!
The online discussions about BBC bias seem never-ending on both sides: the right say it is biased towards the left ("Brussels Broadcasting Corporation"), while the left say it's biased towards the right ("British Broadcasting Conservatives"). I read this to mean that it is more balanced than most.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Better not mention Channel 4's absolute bias to No Brexit then !!

Mr Snow must be a Corbynski.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Bozza blunders on with bumbling, buffoonery, and Latin quotes.

There was an old letch called Boris
Accused by a lady named Doris
Of grabbing her tit,
But he said: "Not a bit,
I was occupied reading my Horace".
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:44 pm Bozza blunders on with bumbling, buffoonery, and Latin quotes.

There was an old letch called Boris
Accused by a lady named Doris
Of grabbing her tit,
But he said: "Not a bit,
I was occupied reading my Horace".
Can't be said of Donald, who probably thinks Horace is a hole on the back nine.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Wonderful typo in yesterday's Observer, in Will Hutton's article on Brexit: "The constitution does empower the monarch to assert fair play and the pubic interest..."
Who knew the old girl had this job along with all the others? I'd rather imagined this would be Boris's province.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

rockfreak wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:13 pm Wonderful typo in yesterday's Observer, in Will Hutton's article on Brexit: "The constitution does empower the monarch to assert fair play and the pubic interest..."
Who knew the old girl had this job along with all the others? I'd rather imagined this would be Boris's province.
More like who thought the old girl had any left on her....?! :D