University Challenge.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

University Challenge.

Post by J.R. »

I've watched this for years.

Tonight was the icing on the cake for me. One team captain did a brilliant Frank Spencer impersonation. However, the great Frank Spencer would have shown a far greater intelligence than this Uni team captain.

Are these people really the way forward for the future of this country ??

Answers on a scrap of paper, (crayon preffered), to........

(p.s. I was not too sure about the green lip-stick of the other team captain either. Mind you it might be some nasty undiagnosed student infection !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: University Challenge.

Post by michael scuffil »

There was a version called 'Sixth Form Challenge' in which CH was beaten by a school Jesson Dibley referred to as 'Slough Comprehensive' (aka E*** C******).

I don't know how many OBs have appeared on University Challenge over the years. I was probably one of the first (Emmanuel, Cambridge) in 1966/67*. But the late Nick Cox appeared for Pembroke, Cambridge, at about that time, and I've a notion our colleague Keibat was a member of the Jesus, Cambridge, team.

*I remember watching myself in a pub in Chester, and getting some sidelong glances from the regulars.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The late Nick Cox.

A perfect gentleman. One of few I remember from House days.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

I, too, am an avid watcher of University Challenge, although I find it slightly more hopeful than does JR. One thing that does surprise me is how few females are on the teams, even from universities/colleges that have substantial female membership.

The questions I love are of the nature 'What is the next number but one in the sequence 482, 3450, 9119,...?' There is always someone who instantly gets it right with '17342' (I have made those figures up, so please don't check them out). How do they do that - in their heads, without a pause, without using pencil and paper?

Great fun.

David :shock:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Some people just have a natural mathematical brain. Col B certainly had one during my time. Freaky will remember him I'm sure.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

J.R. wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:08 am Some people just have a natural mathematical brain. Col B certainly had one during my time. Freaky will remember him I'm sure.
Not the proverbial Dicko?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:28 pm
J.R. wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:08 am Some people just have a natural mathematical brain. Col B certainly had one during my time. Freaky will remember him I'm sure.
Not the proverbial Dicko?
That's the one !
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

As a former participant, I am often amazed by the knowledge of the participants, and sometimes equally amazed by the gaps. But then I think back to myself at 21 and realize I probably hadn't heard of Robert Hooke (say) either at that time...

And one of my very quick interruptions for a starter for 10 was pure luck. The answer was Sydney Smith, of whom I'd never heard before that week, when I just happened to be reading some of his letters in a quite different context.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I take it that that was when 'Blowna Gasket' was question master and before 'Paxo Stuffingman' took over ?

I loved that one-off TV comedy drama based on Uni Challenge some time ago Can't remember it's title or cast members but I wish they'd show it again.
charlesr
2nd Former

Post by charlesr »

J.R. wrote:I take it that that was when 'Blowna Gasket' was question master and before 'Paxo Stuffingman' took over ?

I loved that one-off TV comedy drama based on Uni Challenge some time ago Can't remember it's title or cast members but I wish they'd show it again.
There's a film called 'Starter for 10" (based on a book)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/starter_for_ten/

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Charles Rogers (LHA 67-70; ThB 70-75)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

I must say that Bamber Gascoigne took the trouble to understand the questions. He didn't write them, but he spent two or three days researching them so that (a) he could read them intelligibly, and (b) he knew which alternative answers to accept. Paxo I'm afraid fails on both counts. He appears not to have read the questions before the show.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Just watched tonight's episode. Another completely un-matched pair of teams competing. Must make sure that only the brainy uni teams get a shout at the final

Nice to see Frank Spencer's wife, (Betty?) has now carried on the beret tradition from last week.

Medication time now, Nurse.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

The lady may have worn a beret, but she certainly knew a lot of answers.
David :shock: