looking for an ancient radio programme

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

looking for an ancient radio programme

Post by michael scuffil »

In the mid-to-late 1970s, BBC Radio 4 put out a sort of quirky magazine programme after the midday news on Sundays. It was a potpourri of all sorts of stuff, and attracted some critical approbation. I was a keen listener, but cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. Can anyone help?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: looking for an ancient radio programme

Post by Katharine »

Sorry Michael, I wasn’t in the UK at the relevant time! Hope you can find it, I’ll try to make some enquiries for you.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Michael, if you’ve got time to waste, search here https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/r ... 1978-01-29 as far as I can see you’ve got all programmes listed day by day. A radio freak friend sent me the link very quickly when I asked for you.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Whenever I think of lunchtime weekend programmes from that era I think of Round the Horne. "Ooh hello Mr Horne, how nice to varder your dolly old eek again!" But I don't think that's what you've got in mind.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:03 pm Whenever I think of lunchtime weekend programmes from that era I think of Round the Horne. "Ooh hello Mr Horne, how nice to varder your dolly old eek again!" But I don't think that's what you've got in mind.
I loved that programme along with The Navy Lark, The Goons and many more.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Thanks Katharine for that link. It will provide me with all the information I need, though as the slot between the news and Gardeners' Question Time was not occupied by the same programme every week I shall have to apply my forensic skills to working out which one it was. But my forensic skills are not negligible. At first sight, I think it was 'Instant Sunshine'. I'm fairlysure that I heard the programme in question on a Sunday in September 1978 when I was driving from Grantown to Montrose, and that limits the possibilities, all of which point to Instant Sunshine.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Rockfreak: sadly Kenneth Horne was long dead (d. 1969); he was an earlier era. But yes, in the 60s he was unbeatable.
Th.B. 27 1955-63