COVID19

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

scrub
Deputy Grecian

Re: COVID19

Post by scrub »

sejintenej wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:05 pmI saw this morning a doctor claiming that the virus cannot survive above 28C.
If he's your Doc, find a new one. :lol:

No, seriously. Find a new one once you've managed to stop laughing long enough to see if they were serious or not.
jhopgood wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:17 pmJust as a red herring, my son in Lulea has read an article which suggests that the COVID 19 virus has things common to SARS and AIDS viruses, which are unlikely to appear naturally, leading to the suspicion that the virus is man made.
To borrow from Terry Pratchett "A lie can make its way around the world before the truth has even gotten its shoes on".

They are all enveloped RNA viruses, and (IIRC) the COVID-19 genome is about 70% similar to SARS, so that part is true, but as for being human engineered, I'm afraid that's more fantasy than reality. While mutating a virus is relatively straightforward for someone with a decade or so of training and a lot of expensive equipment, the truth is that viruses do it better and faster than we can. Coronaviruses have been around for a long time and there was a paper written 10, maybe 20 years ago now, outlining their potential to become a concern for humans. It's been known for a while, but until recently, wasn't as pressing a concern as any of the other diseases.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

scrub wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:24 am
sejintenej wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:05 pmI saw this morning a doctor claiming that the virus cannot survive above 28C.
If he's your Doc, find a new one. :lol:

No, seriously. Find a new one once you've managed to stop laughing long enough to see if they were serious or not.
I think you realise that I was being contemptuous of this doctor from another country. For me this is far more serious because it was one of many statements presented to COPD patients - many of them just diagnosed and not informed adequately.

There is a Facebook entry by a lady; her employers had asked her to write about her experiences as a victim. IF it is true, she had a mild dose, hardly worse than a common cold, up again and feeling well in 6 days and only tested late in the day.
[/quote]
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

sejintenej wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:05 pm I saw this morning a doctor claiming that the virus cannot survive above 28C - he ignores that normal blood temperature is 36.9C.
Although now back in the UK, I'm still a member of a forum for expats in Thailand. Apparently, the theory is that the virus has a significantly shorter survival time outside of the body in a higher temperature, i.e. on door knobs, handrails, etc. I can't remember the details and I make no claim as to the validity of the theory.

Let's face it, if we're talking about 28C then it's not going to have much impact in the UK anyway!
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I've just wanged off one of my letters to the Guardian suggesting that if pubs, clubs and restaurants are now being emptied, surely these are now the best places to go for social distancing.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 am
Let's face it, if we're talking about 28C then it's not going to have much impact in the UK anyway!
My thinking was that 98.4F = 36.9C so our bodies would kill it anyway!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:32 pm I've just wanged off one of my letters to the Guardian suggesting that if pubs, clubs and restaurants are now being emptied, surely these are now the best places to go for social distancing.
Surely it is a question of how long the stuff can survive on hard and textile materials. Distancing is very hard in pubs and clubs any time.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

sejintenej wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:04 am
rockfreak wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:32 pm I've just wanged off one of my letters to the Guardian suggesting that if pubs, clubs and restaurants are now being emptied, surely these are now the best places to go for social distancing.
Surely it is a question of how long the stuff can survive on hard and textile materials. Distancing is very hard in pubs and clubs any time.
Umm - I think this was a joke! :wink:
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Pubs emptying. It's a dream come true. I can snuggle up in a corner with a pint and my copy of Viz (Hello Finbarr! Hello Fat Slags!) untroubled by Sun-reading, Tory-voting rednecks. Bliss.
Actually I was hoping to go rock climbing again with my climbing friend from West Cumbria this year after a couple of years' layoff (my minor surgery problems: his knee op) and I still haven't totally given up hope. Spreadeagled on a crag above Langdale with only the birds for company you are truly "socially distanced" - as Banker Brown will tell you, him having climbed a bit in Langdale in his youth.
Over 70 or not, you're as fit as you feel aren't you?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Pictures of our city centres are positively evocative. Empty spaces with perhaps "Two figures in a landscape". They look like tableaux from films by the French art director Alain Resnais. "Last year in Chipping Sodbury" perhaps. Or "Grimsby Mon Amour".
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

There has at least been some light relief. The Guardian recently showed how a Catholic priest in America is taking confession. He is sitting there in a lay-by with a few traffic cones in front of him for distance while his parishioners drive in and lower their windows to shout their transgressions at him. It's a variation on drive-through MacDonalds.
It suggests a Monty Python sketch in which the priest is hard of hearing so an acolyte has to hand the confessors (is that what they're called?) a loud-hailer (wiped with antiseptic each time) to bellow their sins. Before long a curious crowd gathers, attracted by the noise, and start to take an interest in the sins and the quantity of Hail Marys being dished out. Of course this being the Catholic church they're very down on sex.
"Come on Father, twenty Hail Marys for this guy just having had a w*nk last week? You only gave that earlier geezer thirty and he'd committed a triple murder! Leave it out squire!"
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

How long before the first redneck is spotted in the bible belt wearing a red baseball cap saying "Make America Ill Again"?
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:27 pm How long before the first redneck is spotted in the bible belt wearing a red baseball cap saying "Make America Ill Again"?
Ah, I see. Laughing at the working classes is presumably okay so long as they are American? How very egalitarian of you Mr Redshaw.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I hate to butt in folks but unfortunately this virus is distinctly unpleasant.

Many of my generation are required to stay behind closed doors with no visitors - family or others; it was until the end of June but some of us have had that extended to the end of October. OK if you have a garden plus friends to do the shopping but think of being cooped up in a flat!

A man I am in touch with had his "last phone call" from his wife who was in hospital with the covid virus; not nice but he is the exception in that she is now out of hospital. He was lucky; far too many of this group have lost a husband/ wife, / parent/ child.

For my generation there may be some hope because we had compulsory smallpox injections (I have had several) which m a y alleviate the effect a bit.

A little bit of control if you please
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

This lockdown affects all of us differently. I am lucky to live on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park, with several lovely walks literally on my doorstep. None of these would make it into a book of Snowdonia walks but John and I enjoy them and the tremendous views. How very different from being cooped up in an inner city tower block.

I’m sure I’m not the only numerically literate OB frustrated by the figures quoted about tests done. In fact I’m not as I’ve just been sent a link to this letter by David Norgrove, I think some of you were at CH with him

https://www.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/ ... 9-testing/

Well said Sir David
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

sejintenej wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:44 pm I hate to butt in folks but unfortunately this virus is distinctly unpleasant.

Many of my generation are required to stay behind closed doors with no visitors - family or others; it was until the end of June but some of us have had that extended to the end of October. OK if you have a garden plus friends to do the shopping but think of being cooped up in a flat!

A man I am in touch with had his "last phone call" from his wife who was in hospital with the covid virus; not nice but he is the exception in that she is now out of hospital. He was lucky; far too many of this group have lost a husband/ wife, / parent/ child.

For my generation there may be some hope because we had compulsory smallpox injections (I have had several) which m a y alleviate the effect a bit.

A little bit of control if you please
Just curious. What has been your coping strategy...?