Twelve Camels For Your Wife

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Georged21
2nd Former

Twelve Camels For Your Wife

Post by Georged21 »

Hello Everyone, CH seems a long time ago (I left in 1968). I now live in a traditional Turkish village about 90 minutes drive inland from Izmir. To celebrate my 49 year love affair with Turkey I have written a book called Twelve Camels For Your Wife....but before you scroll on (only joking)....you should know that in 5 days out of NINE MILLION books on Amazon it's now in the top few hundred. Check out the stats. If you want a sample chapter send me an e mail to gdearsley@aol.com. Stay safe and happy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Twelve-Camels- ... 920&sr=1-1
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Twelve Camels For Your Wife

Post by Katharine »

Welcome George.

I left Hertford in 1965, in 69 I went to Northern Ghana as a VSO, but I don’t think I can have been as beautiful as the wife in your book title! A chief only offered Four Cows and Seven Goats for me. He had 16 wives and 42 children already, but I’d have become number one wife, or so he said. I’ve told that story many times in the intervening years.

I’ll send you an email.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:17 pm A chief only offered Four Cows and Seven Goats for me. He had 16 wives and 42 children already, but I’d have become number one wife, or so he said. I’ve told that story many times in the intervening years.
I can understand that if he was Akan. (In English, Ashanti as in the war) We had a couple of their tribe in the office and the idea was to get them grossly overweight to appeal to a prospective husband who would know the father had plenty of cows etc. You must have been slim or even slimmer!
Other tribes had different ideas - you probably came across tribal markings (we were required to learn them) for example. On popular (very respectable and pleasant) lady, Elizabeth Sam, was so slim you could see the pencil behind her (almost both side). Ah, memories!!!

My wife tells that where she was brought up a wife was ten cows, a second hand wife five. I got her free (but she was Italian and not Zulu)
Last edited by sejintenej on Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

At the time I was in the far north of the country, close to the border with Upper Volta, now Burkina Faso. The tribes there were vey fragmented and definitely not Akan.

As to tribal markings, I used to be able to recognise the local ones, they varied a lot in number and depth of cut.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:16 pm At the time I was in the far north of the country, close to the border with Upper Volta, now Burkina Faso. The tribes there were vey fragmented and definitely not Akan.
[\quote]
Yes, the border was porous. My steward was a Grunshie from just over the border in Cote d'Ivoire.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

sejintenej wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:45 pm
Katharine wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:17 pm A chief only offered Four Cows and Seven Goats for me. He had 16 wives and 42 children already, but I’d have become number one wife, or so he said. I’ve told that story many times in the intervening years.
I can understand that if he was Akan. (In English, Ashanti as in the war) We had a couple of their tribe in the office and the idea was to get them grossly overweight to appeal to a prospective husband who would know the father had plenty of cows etc. You must have been slim or even slimmer!
Other tribes had different ideas - you probably came across tribal markings (we were required to learn them) for example. On popular (very respectable and pleasant) lady, Elizabeth Sam, was so slim you could see the pencil behind her (almost both side). Ah, memories!!!

My wife tells that where she was brought up a wife was ten cows, a second hand wife five. I got her free (but she was Italian and not Zulu)
In some parts of Nigeria, they actually have fattening schools for prospective brides, with copious amounts of food and all over body massages to iron out the cellulite...
Georged21
2nd Former

Post by Georged21 »

Just to update everyone...12 Camels has now sold 359+ copies and had 60+ excellent reviews on Amazon....read another reviews here....https://tinyurl.com/r3vnuczc[url]https: ... m/r3vnuczc[/url]

This is the Amazon site https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-review ... filter-bar

best wishes

George Dearsley
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I’ve just read George’s book and loved it. I’m sure others who have lived an expat life will love it, comparing it with their own experiences. I highly recommend it!
Georged21
2nd Former

Post by Georged21 »

Just a quick update. My book has now sold 700 copies and has 75+ five star reviews on Amazon.....link here.....tinyurl.com/kktvp25p FREE CHAPTER here.....https://www.dropbox.com/s/9s47si84teh92 ... 3.pdf?dl=0
Georged21
2nd Former

Post by Georged21 »

Katharine wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:23 pm I’ve just read George’s book and loved it. I’m sure others who have lived an expat life will love it, comparing it with their own experiences. I highly recommend it!
Thank you so much for posting....glad you enjoyed it.