Olympics mania

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Re: Olympics mania

Post by LongGone »

Another good one would be Japanese Kendo - far more entertaining than fencing...
[/quote]

Like all sports, its in the eye of the beholder. Having fought for years when young, i thoroughly enjoy watching the fencing. On the other hand I cannot understand the appeal of synchronized swimming or race walking.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

LongGone wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:02 pm Another good one would be Japanese Kendo - far more entertaining than fencing...
Like all sports, its in the eye of the beholder. Having fought for years when young, i thoroughly enjoy watching the fencing. On the other hand I cannot understand the appeal of synchronized swimming or race walking.
[/quote]

Yep - i agree. Maybe i was being too strong on the fencing. For some reason i find synchronised swimming more entertaining when i turn off the volume on my TV. It seems very surreal. But i would love to see different weight categories in that and maybe the rock/wall climbing. Be a bit like a Beryl Cook painting.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

My first awareness of the Olympics was in 1952 (Helsinki) which is giving my age away. My godfather (and sponsor to CH - I was a governor's presentee) was one of those people (like my northern Dad) who believed that any boy who wasn't interested in sport was probably a w**fter (or at least a wet of some kind). Sorry about the non-PC language guys (and gals, and indeed gays, if there are any left on the site) but that's how it was then. So you can see that in some sense at least we've advanced from those days. Slowly perhaps. But anyway my godfather had been kind enough to give me a guide to the Olympics and the various disciplines. Emil Zatapek? Anyone remember him? Famous in his day

Aged eight and, set to be plunged into the spartan and philistine environs of CH in a couple of months hence, I came down for breakfast to find my parents in a lather of patriotic excitement. "We've won a medal!" they crowed. "What for?" I asked. "Clay Pigeon Shooting!" they answered jubilantly. "Oh dear," I thought, "I hope the poor old clay pigeon isn't too hurt."
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:16 pm I came down for breakfast to find my parents in a lather of patriotic excitement. "We've won a medal!" they crowed. "What for?" I asked. "Clay Pigeon Shooting!" the answered jubilantly. "Oh dear," I thought, "I hope the poor old clay pigeon isn't too hurt."
:lol: :lol: You frequently post a lot of nonsense, rockfreak, but at least this is funny nonsense! Not that I believe a word of it, of course... :D
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

"Emil Zatapek? Anyone remember him?"

Can't remember him, but do recall a chap called Emil ZatOpek. He won the 5,000 metres,10,000 metres, and Marathon at the 52 Olympics and by all accounts was a thoroughly nice man.

:shock: David
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:29 pm
rockfreak wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:16 pm I came down for breakfast to find my parents in a lather of patriotic excitement. "We've won a medal!" they crowed. "What for?" I asked. "Clay Pigeon Shooting!" the answered jubilantly. "Oh dear," I thought, "I hope the poor old clay pigeon isn't too hurt."
:lol: :lol: Not that I believe a word of it, of course... :D
An even funnier comment...
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:16 pm My first awareness of the Olympics was in 1952 (Helsinki) which is giving my age away. My godfather (and sponsor to CH - I was a governor's presentee) was one of those people (like my northern Dad) who believed that any boy who wasn't interested in sport was probably a w**fter (or at least a wet of some kind). Sorry about the non-PC language guys (and gals, and indeed gays, if there are any left on the site) but that's how it was then. So you can see that in some sense at least we've advanced from those days. Slowly perhaps. But anyway my godfather had been kind enough to give me a guide to the Olympics and the various disciplines. Emil Zatapek? Anyone remember him? Famous in his day

Aged eight and, set to be plunged into the spartan and philistine environs of CH in a couple of months hence, I came down for breakfast to find my parents in a lather of patriotic excitement. "We've won a medal!" they crowed. "What for?" I asked. "Clay Pigeon Shooting!" they answered jubilantly. "Oh dear," I thought, "I hope the poor old clay pigeon isn't too hurt."
By contrast, sport was never ever mentioned in the house, whether by my widowed mother nor the family. (and we didn't have TV) though I certainly remember Emil Zatopek!!.
A club I belonged to had one man who was fourth in the Mexico Olympics- he never won the club championship. I think that shooting was the only sport where I won a competition (but that was a different shooting club and the CCF put me down as a total and complete failure! )

I would have loved to do the Vasa ski race because I was already doing over three times the distance most days - I wouldn't have won but would certainly have finished (they stop people at points when they are too far behind on time). Years earlier and by mistake I and some young lady learned to ski on what we subsequently learned was the Norefjell slalom course for the 1952 Olympics; neither of us fell but I now respect moguls! After that I reckon I can handle most things skiing. Yes, I was taught to jump.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

Sejintenej was doing the distance of the Vasaloppet 3 times daily!!!! 270 k! I think not. Still old age and grey matter failing. It's like me I am still attractive to twenty year old girls!!!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

time please wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:58 pm Sejintenej was doing the distance of the Vasaloppet 3 times daily!!!! 270 k! I think not. Still old age and grey matter failing. It's like me I am still attractive to twenty year old girls!!!!
Definitely. I was thinking of it as 56 K or 35 miles not 56 miles. 3 hours 28mins record is not human! My heroine, Pippa Middleton finished in just over 7 hours! Brother James too 6 and three quarter hours!
I used to drop parties at Tyinholmen in Jotunheimen and overnight in Fodalen trying to get to Finse (my base) by noon on the second day. Total distance +/- 130 miles or 200Km Don't forget the hills - very tough! Then I would take the next party back - but far far slower! Those were the days - best holiday job I ever had.
Heavens - I wish I was attractive to 20 year old girls still - even the ancients fall at my feet - dead. What's your secret?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

time please wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:58 pm It's like me I am still attractive to twenty year old girls!!!!
What....even the decent looking ones...??
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

I was actually being sarcastic !Outside a bit weathered but in my mind still ok. Inside..presumably rotting!
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by time please »

sejintenej wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:54 pm
time please wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:58 pm Sejintenej was doing the distance of the Vasaloppet 3 times daily!!!! 270 k! I think not. Still old age and grey matter failing. It's like me I am still attractive to twenty year old girls!!!!
Definitely. I was thinking of it as 56 K or 35 miles not 56 miles. 3 hours 28mins record is not human! My heroine, Pippa Middleton finished in just over 7 hours! Brother James too 6 and three quarter hours!
I used to drop parties at Tyinholmen in Jotunheimen and overnight in Fodalen trying to get to Finse (my base) by noon on the second day. Total distance +/- 130 miles or 200Km Don't forget the hills - very tough! Then I would take the next party back - but far far slower! Those were the days - best holiday job I ever had.
Heavens - I wish I was attractive to 20 year old girls still - even the ancients fall at my feet - dead. What's your secret?
In my mind anybody who likes snow, skiing ( any type ) cold weather etc. is in need of help.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I enjoyed the olympics. Good coverage but some of the commentators were far too over the top !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.