Quick questions and (maybe) answers Hertford Memories thread

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Quick questions and (maybe) answers Hertford Memories th

Post by Angela Woodford »

Now... the tin with "oids" at the end really does, er, hit a note!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Fjgrogan wrote:Oh yes, JR is definitely back on form!

Lucky for you this is the Hertford Forum, or I might have, just MIGHT have started the joke off !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Just been flipping through the papers online...

and there is a picture of the Duchess of Cambridge participating in a few minutes of hockey - blah blah "love of the game" blah blah "excellent player, keen, sporty" blah blah -

However, one of the pictures shows her supposedly "playing" with her stick almost flourished at shoulder level. This wasn't allowed, was it? If anyone raised a stick above elbow height, you were allowed to shriek "Sticks!!!!" and Nellie would blow her whistle in outrage.

Not that hockey was my thing exactly... torture!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Quite correct Angela, and I believe that rule still applies.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Yes, there she is on the cover of Hello! mag.

Sticks!

Nellie would never have allowed her on the pitch without her hair tied back properly. :evil:
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

"Dangerous play rules also apply to the usage of the stick when approaching the ball, making a stroke at it (replacing what was at one time referred to as the "sticks" rule, which once forbade the raising of any part of the stick above the shoulder during any play. This last restriction has been removed but the stick should still not be used in a way that endangers an opponent) or attempting to tackle, (fouls relating to tripping, impeding and obstruction). The use of the stick to strike an opponent will usually be much more severely dealt with by the umpires than offences such as barging, impeding and obstruction with the body, although these are also dealt with firmly, especially when these fouls are intentional: hockey is a non-contact sport."
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

AKAP wrote:"Dangerous play rules also apply to the usage of the stick when approaching the ball, making a stroke at it (replacing what was at one time referred to as the "sticks" rule, which once forbade the raising of any part of the stick above the shoulder during any play. This last restriction has been removed but the stick should still not be used in a way that endangers an opponent) or attempting to tackle, (fouls relating to tripping, impeding and obstruction). The use of the stick to strike an opponent will usually be much more severely dealt with by the umpires than offences such as barging, impeding and obstruction with the body, although these are also dealt with firmly, especially when these fouls are intentional: hockey is a non-contact sport."

Quite right too !! :oops:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

So... raising the stick to shoulder level is now OK?

There!

Shows how long it is since I endured the bitter cold, the mud, the misery...

There were girls who seemed to enjoy the experience... I suspect also that I was much too fat to be able to run about in the mud with any consistency of performance!
And I honestly didn't care who won, so long as we could get back in the warm... please... :lol:

I wish I could tell Nellie that I am embarking on a pre-Olympics "From Zero to Hero! Can't Run? 10km in 100 days!" scheme launched by a local running club. Nellie, you might once have written "tubby" on my squizzing assessment form, but things have changed...

Yes, that achievement medal will be mine!
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Good luck.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Angela Woodford wrote:So... raising the stick to shoulder level is now OK?

There!

Shows how long it is since I endured the bitter cold, the mud, the misery...

There were girls who seemed to enjoy the experience... I suspect also that I was much too fat to be able to run about in the mud with any consistency of performance!
And I honestly didn't care who won, so long as we could get back in the warm... please... :lol:

I wish I could tell Nellie that I am embarking on a pre-Olympics "From Zero to Hero! Can't Run? 10km in 100 days!" scheme launched by a local running club. Nellie, you might once have written "tubby" on my squizzing assessment form, but things have changed...

Yes, that achievement medal will be mine!
Great stuff Angela!

I wish you all the best.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Yes! I am determined to do this! Well, any mother of three excels at a sudden sprint (Not too near the edge!). I have never been able to run far. It will be sheer hell, I know it. :oops: But why embark on a project that I would find easy?

On April 11, there is an introductory welcome and advisory talk at the Running Club from one of the coaches with the inspiring name of Hannah Bosomworth.

Already, my older daughter has donated me an aerodynamic sports bra of skilled engineering design that she won't be needing whilst still feeding baby Sebastian, plus a couple of tremendously streamlined running top things... and there on FB is that esteemed HOGOF Elizabeth Roe (bow down!) who does Iron Woman marathons and various incredible achievements requiring extreme fitness! She, and another FB friend assure me that the correct shoes are essential.

££££££s no doubt!

Anyway, off-topic! But I do wish I could tell Miss Norman....
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Off topic, but anyone who was at Hertford should go to the CH stuff- Aspects of Housey thread where there is movie on YouTube of the Hertford school in the 80's !
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

Yes indeed - the video left me speechless for the moment, except to say that our macs (and these are clearly the same design as in the 60s/70s) were even more unbecoming than I remembered.....
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

The thing that struck me was the change in the dorms! All those pictures stuck to the wall! The Hag would have been speechless with apoplexy if we had even thought of such things! I seem to remember it was 3 ornaments on the locker, one of which could be a family photo and that was it as far as personal possessions on show.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Yes, pictures on the walls! It looked really homely compared with my memories....

I also thought the girls looked pretty relaxed, smiling and chatting with one another. No silent, tense, white faces....

But DID notice the good posture. Tight and trim under the macs. I kinda fancy a mac like that for dog walking, where can I get one?

Liz
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68