Quick questions and (maybe) answers Hertford Memories thread

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Quick questions and (maybe) answers Hertford Memories th

Post by Angela Woodford »

Lil was a very stern strict woman of an unbending rectitude. But, a couple of years ago, MaryB told us something of her home situation. Belatedly, I felt very sorry for Lil.

I believe she was Head Housemistress for a while.

Does anyone know what the responsibilities of Head Housemistress were? AFAIR, she banged the gavel for Grace Before And After Meat. But was there anything else?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
annabelle
2nd Former

Re: Quick questions and (maybe) answers Hertford Memories thread

Post by annabelle »

Sorry to see from The Blue that Eileen Downing has died, hope she enjoyed her life, RIP; also Barbara Borgers is in the same list. I suppose we are at an age where this familiarity with such named individuals can only increase, perhaps I will take out my chapel hat tonight as a mark of remembrance.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Eileen Downing has died?

She was one of the several very clever girls in our year. I remember her so well - fluent from the first in French and German, but also the star of Miss Blench's Latin. Always quiet and obviously gifted. I always supposed she must have gone on to a brilliant academic career.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Goodness, I didn't even know about Eileen Downing and I edit the obituaries section! I think it must have come in at the last minute before the copy deadline, so must be very recent.

I was aware of Barbara's death; we were hoping the family might supply an obituary but didn't want to chase them too hard at what must be a difficult time for them. If nothing is forthcoming by the autumn issue then I hope one of her contemporaries might be willing to pen a few words? Likewise for Eileen.

Sad, I remember both of them although they were both a few years older than me.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

So, Jo, there was an announcement of Eileen's death in The Blue, but no details or obituary? Several of us have contributed a few memories on the Facebook CH Ladies page, but it doesn't sound as if Eileen kept in touch with school friends. It doesn't sound as if she had married... family?

I should be so interested to read about her life.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I don't know Angela. It's not unusual for last-minute news of an OB death to come in just as the Old Blue is going to press, when all the layout is more or less finalised, and the editor might squeeze in the basic announcement. That's what happened this time - I'd finished and submitted the Remembering section and the overall editor obviously added the bare details about Eileen.

As part of preparing for the next issue, we will follow up on whatever came in about Eileen, maybe go back to the family or whoever sent it, asking for more information, or in the absence of such details then I sometimes do pull together reminiscences from the forum or FB. However, there are some people for whom we never receive details and unfortunately they just go down as "Also Reported". I think that's generally when family or friends just write asking for the person to be taken off the distribution list for CH-related communications.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Thank you, Jo!
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Just doing the obituaries for the next issue of The Old Blue, and have been unable to turn up any further information for Eileen Downing. If anyone would like to add any further reminiscences of Eileen, I'd be happy to include them in lieu of a conventional obituary.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75