New Girl

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Angela Woodford wrote:I'd like to try writing something for The Old Blue, but don't know what would be acceptable....

Love, Munch
That would be of interest beyond Hertford if you see this John.

Make her do it!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:Goodness, thank you Mary! My teen aspirations "to be a writer" took a nosedive by the end of the V1 form. :cry:

I'd like to try writing something for The Old Blue, but don't know what would be acceptable....

I totally adored the "Cars in the 50's and 60's"! Fabulous.

Love, Munch
My husband writes, and his travelogue pieces, while not Bill Bryson are really good. Our local free colour magazine ran a piece on a place we used to live in the US (Bucks County, Pennsylvania) and the writer made it so boring I fell asleep, whereas it was a really lively, beautiful place.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

I agree with the others, Munch. Your writing is excellent! AND you have made me feel terribly guilty about Nutto and the way we treated her. I'm going to copy your post, if I may, to the other girls I am still in touch with from that dorm and spread that guilt.
Caron Garrod (nee Haskell)

2:38 1976 - 1979
kayinbaja
3rd Former

Nutto

Post by kayinbaja »

Oh dear oh dear oh dear! I so wish you hadn't reminded me. Nutto was, i think, supervising prep and we were behaving appallingly. She was so easy to wind up it was hard to resist. But it all went a bit far and someone, I honestly don't remember who, called her a Nazi. She cried, and I can still remember what she said, "You are still young. There is so much you don't understand."
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Gosh, poor Nutto. I never quite thought of her as Munch and Kay have portrayed her but all of a sudden I feel quite sympathetic. I'm amazed though that she was still around in Caron's day, I'd have said she retired while I was still at Hertford.

Munch, I've enjoyed reading your reminiscences too, not only the three "pairs" in this thread, but a description you gave of Queenie Blench tiptoeing about like a raptor was priceless :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Talking of supervising prep, I learned a really valuable lesson for life supervising 2nd or 3rd form prep on Thursday evenings when I was in the 6th form. It's stood me in good stead ever since.

As juniors do, they would try and play up, push boundaries, see what they could get away with - and it was like fighting a losing battle trying to keep on top of their behaviour. Once I cottoned on it was Top of the Pops night, I just used to tell them that I would start timing them for their forty minutes' prep when they shut up and settled down - didn't matter to me when that was, as I had two hours prep to do myself so I could sit there for as long as it took. They were so desperate to get out promptly that they behaved beautifully after that, and used to shush each other if anyone made any noise. Worked a treat :)

It taught me that often it's pointless trying to *make* people do things. Leave the decision up to them, but find a way of making it worth their while to do what you want. If you can make it work, it's much more effective!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Spiv
2nd Former

Post by Spiv »

... back to Miss von Stettin (? Stetten) - Kerren, you and I didn't do German so we didn't know her. Debby thought she was great and enjoyed her lessons. My only contact with her was when I retreated in tears to the Music School (that was eventually rehoused in the old Sanatorium) in despair one evening when the juniors had wreaked their young vengeance on an overtired senior. She heard my miffed tones coming from one of the echoey music rooms and took me up to her flat for German kuchen (?) (biscuity cakes) and a chat, at which point Miss Mercer and Miss Chem. T., who also had a flat there, joined in with tea and sympathy (or maybe it was gin, can't quite remember!
Viv Winter (Walker 1's & 7's 1959 - 1966)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Probably gin then. We always suspected CT had a penchant but nothing was ever proved.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Surely Chemi-T was more of an irish whiskey type ? Although Frances Mercer was probably a G & T girl
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

There was never a whiff of anything and whiskey reeks, but I can certainly see Miss Mercer with a dry martini, olive and all.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

englishangel wrote:There was never a whiff of anything and whiskey reeks, but I can certainly see Miss Mercer with a dry martini, olive and all.
Mary, I can't stay out of this one. I'm sitting here, thousands of miles away, chuckling to myself at the thought of a bunch of you girls trying to get close enough to CT to smell her breath!

At Horsham, half of the classes we went to we fought to sit at the back, not so that we could misbehave, but to get as far away as possible from the stench of regurgitated stale beer.

You see? We chaps can make constructive, informed and helpful contributions to the Hertford section...
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

A nice

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Cognac,Calvados or Armagnac surely for Miss Mercer (educated at The Sorbonne ) or simply a glass of good Bordeaux.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Vodka doesn't leave a scent on the breath !

A possibility ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Vodka ? No, not F.Mercer's style...although perchance a Zubrovskaya when eating zakouskies... ( Miss Mercer certainly was one of the classiest teachers at Hertford).
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Spiv wrote:... back to Miss von Stettin (? Stetten) - Kerren, you and I didn't do German so we didn't know her. Debby thought she was great and enjoyed her lessons. My only contact with her was when I retreated in tears to the Music School (that was eventually rehoused in the old Sanatorium) in despair one evening when the juniors had wreaked their young vengeance on an overtired senior. She heard my miffed tones coming from one of the echoey music rooms and took me up to her flat for German kuchen (?) (biscuity cakes) and a chat, at which point Miss Mercer and Miss Chem. T., who also had a flat there, joined in with tea and sympathy (or maybe it was gin, can't quite remember!
I think this is one of the nicest Hertford stories ever. So kind of Nutto to invite you in for kuchen and sympathy - and you weren't even taught by her. Great that Merce and Chemi-T rallied round too.

As I remember, it was Miss Morrison that was the gin drinker! We'd been invited into her flat on a Sunday afternoon to see the classic serial (one of our set books) and I spotted the bottle + an emptied glass. Ideal before asking lots of girls in, to cram into her sitting room!

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""