School Needlework

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Re: School Needlework

Post by midget »

We were epected to be correctly attired for leaving, including hat and gloves.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Ditto. Not sure about the hat, though, in 1966. But I do recall a last minute panic and getting my parents to buy me an appropriate pair of navy blue court shoes from the shoe shop down the road from school....
I made a skirt and jacket suit, with a fetching blouse, I seem to recall. Though I have not seen any photographs of either then or since!
I think the suit was a beigey linen, and the blouse must have had navy blue in it because that was the colour of the shoes and the gloves.....
How times change... as I go to work now in jeans and jumpers, with clumpy shoes. I can dress up a bit when I have to, but it's not that often!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I don't remember the gloves, but then I left at Christmas so probably had some anyway! I don't think I had a hat.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

By 1972 we didn't have to make our leaving outfit, and as I had been to my cousin's wedding the week before Long Sat I wore the dress I had worn to that. A blue gingham maxi-dress with very full sleeves and a floppy navy blue straw hat with a white ribbon. VERY 1972.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Pixie
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Pixie »

When I left in 1972 leaving dress had become less formal. I wore a pair of navy blue loons (remember those?) and a navy @ yellow checked loose to, an irreverent nod towards school colours.
3.8 65-72
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I've just been reminded in the :oops: DM :oops: that the fabulous Mary Quant designed patterns for Butterick!

I don't supposed any Old Girl has stashed away a Quant dress pattern?

I was far too fat for those fashions in the Sixties - but now...
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Angela Woodford wrote:I've just been reminded in the :oops: DM :oops: that the fabulous Mary Quant designed patterns for Butterick!

Just for you Angela:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... scara.html

A tenuous "claim to fame" for me is that I once lived next door but one to Mary Quant (before she became famous) although at the time I was too young to appreciate the fact.

EDIT: Mental note to read more carefully after a bottle or two! Angela has read this! I'll leave the link though in case others have not and are interested.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

But thank you Andy. The very article!

Imagine living next door-but-one to Mary Quant! That's really exciting!

I always loved her Vidal Sassoon haircut - impossible to maintain for oneself at School however - but I've gone back to a similar style many times, and even now, my hair's still based on that Sixties look. And the Quant makeup! Wasn't it gorgeous? How hard I worked, peering in the mirror, trying to create cheekbones in my chubby face, with MQ Blushbaby in Toffee...

I do think, now I try to remember, that there was a MQ Butterick pattern of a mini-pinafore dress that I'd be happy to make and wear now (even though I'm proud to be a new granny). It was rather snazzy... I could maybe lengthen it just a tiny little bit... got some black high-heeled boots...
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:I've just been reminded in the :oops: DM :oops: that the fabulous Mary Quant designed patterns for Butterick!

Just for you Angela:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... scara.html

A tenuous "claim to fame" for me is that I once lived next door but one to Mary Quant (before she became famous) although at the time I was too young to appreciate the fact.

EDIT: Mental note to read more carefully after a bottle or two! Angela has read this! I'll leave the link though in case others have not and are interested.

I seem to remember that Mary Quant lived at Holmbury St. Mary, near Dorking during her period of fame.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.