Hertford question

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Hertford question

Post by Mid A 15 »

Was there by any chance a girl called Moira Bartram at Hertford between, roughly, mid 50s to mid 60s?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Re: Hertford question

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I have the card index of all Hertford girls who joined the OGA between about 1920 and the closure of the site. Most leavers did - unless they left 'early'.
There is no such name in the index but that does not necessarily mean that there was no such person at Hertford.
a) They might have left at the end of the Upper V (or sooner)
b) 'Bartram' might be their married name, and they might have married after the cards were last updated in 1984.

Sorry.. I am not being very helpful!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Nobody with the first name Moira comes to mind at all for my time there. (That doesn't mean there wasn't one!) It obviously doesn't ring any bells with Kerren either, she was there both before and after me. Is it possible that not only has she married but also started using a different Christian name?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Bartram is definitely the maiden name.

Moira Bartram is the daughter of Charlton Athletic Football Club's most famous son, the goalkeeper Sam Bartram.

In the 50s and 60s Sam Bartram apparently lived in Harpenden and his daughter, Moira, attended a boarding school in the same county.

There was a maximum wage for footballers back then and their wages were comparable to ordinary working men, unlike the pampered, prima donna pussies of today!

For that financial reason I thought it possible that Moira could have attended CH Hertford given also that she obtained "A" levels and went on to qualify as a solicitor.

It would appear from the replies above though that she did not.

Thank you Kerren and Katharine for your help.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

There must have been lots (probably still are some...) of private boarding schools in Hertfordshire at the time. It would be interesting to know which one she attended? I don't think she could have been at CH because if she had the ability to go on and qualify as a Solicitor, she would almost certainly have stayed into the 6th form and thus would have been in the card index records to which I referred in my earlier message.
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

In the late 50s my father was chaplain at St George's School in Harpenden, which was day and boarding, as well as co-ed. I have no idea what the fees were! We played against several boarding schools, one was Poles Convent which was near Ware - that one was in my father's parish after St George's. He was very friendly with Mother Superior!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes... as a former sportsperson (you would not believe it now....) I remember LOTS of matches against Poles Convent (going there in a rickety coach... -to challenge them at hockey, netball, tennis and I think even cricket. I assume the convent no longer exists?
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My boss in my last job had been to Poles Convent, and played hockey against CH.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"