(No longer proposed) Gathering, Hertford 5/4/08

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

(No longer proposed) Gathering, Hertford 5/4/08

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Bulletin #1 :D

The Museum, at Bull Plain (map available from the Museum website) is open from 10 - 5.

Entrance is free. Donations are very welcome.

Kerren and/or I will be at the door from 12.30 onwards.

There will be a 'sign in' sheet for those who are willing to leave name, CH details, mobile number so that others can contact them.

It will also note the names of those who are booked in for dinner, and those people are asked to cough up the £5 deposit as they arrive at the Museum, so that Kerren and I can relax after 5pm. It will be a huge help if you can have the correct money available, and please ensure that your payment is recorded on the sheet by Kerren or I.

Lapel badges, artfully and lovingly constructed by Kerren from blue and gold ribbon, will be available for those of us who wish to wear them, making ourselves easier to spot by those in the know during our wanderings around town.

Name tags will also be available.

I will post my mobile number to this thread once I have it (intend to buy a UK SIM card once I arrive). Please be warned that I loathe mobile phones, and I will give the number for last minute questions on 5/4 only. Please direct any earlier questions to the forum.

I will have intermittent email access between Good Friday and the reunion, but know that Kerren will respond to urgent posts if I am out of contact. Thanks Kerren :)

Best wishes

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: (No longer proposed) Gathering, Hertford 5/4/08

Post by Angela Woodford »

This is terrific, Caroline and Kerren, and thanks again for all the organisation.

I've actually just sent my mobile number to Caroline - perhaps electronic tagging would be best for me in case I wander off and get lost in the New Hertford. A skillful vet could position it?

Looking forward immensely to this occasion! Hoping to nip in for a pee in 6's? :roll:

Love from Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Thanks for this Bulletin, Caroline. We will keep in touch.... but please everybody don't think that I am doing anything other than helping Caroline as best I can, given that for the time being she's a teeny bit far away to be hands-on with organising a Reunion......
I shall be interested to see the list(s) - not sure that many (if any...) of 'my' generation will be there. Hope that you youngsters will be kind to an Old Lady (ha ha ha!)
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Just to let you know that I am hoping to bring up come copies of Audrey Griggs' 'Away from the Bombs and the Boys', and some of DRW's 'Half to Remember' for anyone who wishes to purchase either or both. I am also hoping to locate the left-over CHOGA badges which I gave to the School last summer, again in case anyone wishes to purchase one.
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I wonder if Cafe Rouge knows what it is letting itself in for!!

Kerren, I would like a copy of each of the books, where will your stall be?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I shall be in or near the Museum most of the day from 12.30, Mary. I'm not really fit enough to traipse around the town, except by car.... If the Museum does not mind my selling to OGs, then I will do it from there. Otherwise I will leave the boxes in the car and we will go outside to do the deal!
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

In plain brown wrappers?
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Not this time. I will leave Lady Chatterly .... at home..
(Sorry Caroline, :offtopic:)
Kerren Simmonds
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Have you already collected the books, Kerren? I would like a copy of Audrey's book and am now wondering whether to email Wendy or ask you to send me one (I'll pay p&p).
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Be Prepared, Cafe Rouge!

How many of us will there be?

The noise! The fun! Still, Cafe Rouge won't know that if somebody were to bang a hammer, we would automatically clear our own tables before thanking our Founder and Benefactors.... charitable benevolence....
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
MKM
Grecian

Re: Be Prepared, Cafe Rouge!

Post by MKM »

Angela Woodford wrote:How many of us will there be?

The noise! The fun! Still, Cafe Rouge won't know that if somebody were to bang a hammer, we would automatically clear our own tables before thanking our Founder and Benefactors.... charitable benevolence....
We must have a hammer - first the single, then the double knock, then the Grace (if anyone can remember it).
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

I couldn't possibly forget the two Graces, Mary!

And according to Louie Angus in BSIBS, there is a CH prayer for bedtime that goes:

"Lord, let the rest we are going to mind us of the hour of death, and now that we are going to lie down, let us remember that it may be we shall rise up no more....

Wasn't there a book of CH prayers on the lectern from which we read the Graces in Dining Hall?

Love from Munch
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Just to let you know that I am hoping to bring up come copies of Audrey Griggs' 'Away from the Bombs and the Boys', and some of DRW's 'Half to Remember' for anyone who wishes to purchase either or both. I am also hoping to locate the left-over CHOGA badges which I gave to the School last summer, again in case anyone wishes to purchase one.
Kerren - you are a star :-).

I was half thinking about asking if you had access to any for sale copies of Bombs and Boys, but didn't want to burden you with anything else. Then thought that I could ring Wendy and pop in to Horsham when I am at Mum's (Haywards Heath).

Would you please reserve a copy for me?

Many thanks.
Rohan
2nd Former

Post by Rohan »

Thank you so much for organising this to both Caroline and Kerren - I'm really looking forward to it. Please could I have a copy of Away from the Bombs and the Boys, if you have enough to spare. I've just unearthed my copy of 'Half to Remember' and also 'Blue Skirts into Blue Stockings'. All very nostalgic. See you all there.

Rohan
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My Mum has been unwell so I haven't been getting too excited but as we get closer I am getting that tingle of anticipation.