Hertford Museum : Follow up visit 2 August

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Re: Hertford Museum : Follow up visit 2 August

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Angela, please consider your cage well and truly kicked... :twisted: :twisted: :snakeman:
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And by the way, it's Lady Stone (nee Wendy Lee....)
(her [former?] husband was made a Labour Peer by Monsieur Blair)
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

OK folks, home now after a great weekend. Only trouble is that I think there were lots of Hertford OB's there at the Museum yesterday just doing their own thing and not announcing themselves to anyone (and I am sorry if my cream trouser suit got cloned. I should have identified myself as the one who parked right outside the door, with a disabled sticker, and a dog left in the boot of the car!). I heard of one lady believed to be named 'Phyllis' who was at the school in 1926 (??!!) and endeared herself to all the people to whom she spoke. I did see lots of smiley ladies who were in groups of two or three - and some who were clearly alone - but as this was not 'organised' (least of all by me) I just smiled back. Perhaps I should have been a bit more proactive. Looking at the original list, Jo was there, and Gerrie clearly was but I did not see her, but whether 'Nastymum' was there or not I could not say. And what about 'Kathy'? Was she there?
I did spend some time in the morning with Ruth Deech (nee Fraenkel) and Wendy Stone (nee Lee) but by the time we all got to the Salisbury Arms the table (for 18) was so configured that they ended up one end and I was at the other, (and the hotel did not start to take orders until all 18 had arrived), with Elizabeth Tucker, Caron and Georgia (as well as Alex and Mary and Sarah).
Yes, Elizabeth did say that it had been a 'healing' year - but it is not been the only one. I have a file full of letters I received after the 2000 Reunion in Hertford (which, yes, I did organise, and we reckoned that at one time or another around 300 OG's had been there during the day). The most commonly used word was 'catharsis', closely followed by 'healing' and then 'moving on'. It has been suggested (by non-CH friends) that one day I ought to publish that file of letters....
Glad that Caroline (on the beach) and Liz (buying a kitten) found something else to do yesterday - but we did miss you and thought of you. I took quite a lot of photos (but suspect they may be rubbish) but if any of them are any good I will load them onto Mary's discussion group.
And Willow slept soundly ALL NIGHT (at the Travelodge in Hatfield) after her walk on the Meads with Mary and Alex! Thank you so much for that!
Kerren Simmonds
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Nastymum was there - she was the person at lunch with the children and mother along with her. I'm sorry, I should have introduced you.

I don't remember hearing about a 2000 reunion, either before or after it, but I'm assuming I was still so anti then that I blocked it out of my mind. What a shame, I could have moved on that many years earlier. Still maybe I had to be ready....

I'm sorry again I didn't get round to walking Willow, but I'm glad that Mary and Alex tired her out - I'd have felt guilty if she'd needed another one later on and there was no-one around to oblige.

I discovered later (not sure how) that Wendy was Lady Stone. Yes, it was one of Munch's earlier postings about people in the study that got me curious and it seems my suspicions were correct. Munch, I've just kicked your cage too....... :twisted:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Nice use of a :twisted: , Jo... I note that that was your post no 666...

Well, I suppose that an account of having sat next to WL caused me suddenly to s-n-a-r-l. A reflex action. Should I still be feeling like this? Probably not. I only remember WL with anger when I come across another Wendy and the pleasant sweet little name brings back the most unfortunate memories.

Wasn't it invented by J M Barrie as "Friendy-Wendy"?

Not exactly friendly. (I expect any frank account of my second year at CH and first year in 6's will be immediately moderated.) I'd had a very happy first year in 1's, enormously enjoying being with many other girls my own age. We had Millie as Housemistress, but hey, safety in numbers! Then there was the great division into Senior Houses. DR put into 6's 'A' form me and Jasmin Ansar - goodness, she was clever! - and three 'B' formers. I felt pretty lonely without all my friends - I suppose I reacted by becoming more boisterous.

Day after day, it was "Report to the Study" at 08.30 hrs after breakfast. The main crime was "untidiness", but I think that it was more my attitude problem :roll: None of the shoe-cleaning, essay -writing, clean-all-the-baths-and-basins in-the-House punishments had any disciplinary effect. Although I felt a little aggrieved that these activities were stepped up during Exam Weeks, at least I would be left to beaver away, with Gumption or shoe polish, on my own which was infinitely better than the "blowings-up". The blowings-up were bad, very bad.

I remember the routine only too well. I would knock, be admitted and stand holding the big bluebelled door handle behind my back. In front of me was always WL, her mouth opening and closing in an endless stream of frank opinions, her furious face like a large piece of roast beef. In the background - blonde Anne-Marie Kelly, judicially cool, poised and beautiful. Ruth McCurry would be propped up against the radiator, hands linked under her GA in characteristic pose, watching my reactions with a strange dispassionate curiosity. Every so often their charming vague colleague Susan Cottingham would wander about, seeming not to notice the floorshow at all.

I developed a sort of disassociation technique. I would mentally recite the names of all the South London streets round about my home. Telford Avenue, New Park Road, Kirkstall Road, Kelieser Avenue! The reassuring music of those names! Then one day, my mind snapped back into the present - WL, in her tirade, had split an infinitive! Perhaps unwisely, I pointed it out.

It was like the *pyroclastic flow from an erupting volcano!

For some time, I begged my parents to intervene, as my schoolwork and exam results deteriorated. They considered that it would make things much worse for me if I complained. Of course, I should have gained in toughness, but didn't. So, the routine continued. WL was kind enough to give me a special mention for worthlessness in the end-of-year House Report book.

It was unfortunate that this situation occurred and that it was in the days when 6's Housemistress, The Hag, left all the disciplining to The Study. I determined, and I know Alex did too, never to behave in this way to the younger children. I just loved the juniors when I was in the Study - like funny little sisters as they tumbled about full of exciting thoughts and ideas.

However, I never broke down and cried during these miserable sessions.

Cage kickers, there we are. Wretched memories! Sorry.

*Is this the word? Scientists, correct me!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Ah...... well, if it's any consolation she seems very pleasant now. Likewise Ruth Deech - they both introduced themselves just by their first names, although it did become clear from subsequent conversation that they were both well connected, (Ruth mentioning sitting in the Lords was a big clue!). But I didn't realise Wendy was Lady Wendy until after they'd left.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
hillary
Deputy Grecian

Post by hillary »

I know I'm hitch-hiking on this thread, but I've just got home after a final visit to the museum on the last day of the exhibition.

And here's a last few observations:
Not many visitors today (such a contrast to April, which seems like a lifetime ago now).
- school seemed so empty
- museum therefore allowed more time to look and reflect

A few 'surprise and delight' things at the museum:
- a chat with an old girl who'd been there 1952-58(ish) and had left before O levels. A fun conversation, and apart from the uniform, not much had changed, as we exhanged long forgotten snippets.
- a chat with an ex teacher from Haileybury who said he'd taught Russian to a few girls (DRW era). I had no recollection of this at all (but then I was a scientist). We chatted about the maths visits to H'bury organised by their Mr Newbold (was he related to 'our' Mrs Newbold?), Mr Upcott and Jane Page, whom he knows/knew but I didn't. His wife had been at St Albans, boarding a bit before my time, but life and teaching seemed to be about equivalent
- a surprise meet with Claire Tattershall, 8's overlapping with me, who, it turned out, had been one of the Russian scholars (coincidence, or what?)!
- time to look at the photos, and I found one of the Fathers Cricket Match 1967 that I'd never seen before, with my Dad in the back row. He wasn't a cricketer at all, but I'd persuaded him to play and he'd been out for a duck (soemthing he jokingly never let me forget).
- a couple of much older women, presumably from Hertford, who were chatting as they went round. 'oh yes, do remember we used to see them out in the town sometimes' 'weren't they all orphans or something?'

I'm sorry I missed last weekend, but glad now I've managed 'full circle' with the exhibition, the April visit and a trip to Horsham in June. I just have to find where, in all the papers from my parent's house, they put my O level certificate and the various team photos we had.
Hillary
8s 1966-73
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

hillary wrote:Jane Page, whom he knows/knew but I didn't.
I remember her. She was my maths teacher for a coule of years. I also remember her being our form teacher towards the end of the Hertford era and her taking us all back to her house & garden in Hertford for some reason.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Obviously, donated items will be returned to owner, but will other things go to the Hertford Museum at Horsham, I wonder?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes, Munch, clearly, donated items will be returned to their original owners - including the not inconsiderable amount of stuff (a van full..... I believe) which was on loan from the Museum at Horsham. However, I do understand that some materials were copied (e.g. documents) and the copies will be retained by the Hertford Museum, and I also have a feeling (not sure where it comes from, though....) that some of the donors do not want their materials back but have donated them to the Hertford Museum. I do know that when the Museum opens up again, after refurbishment, they hope to have a number of recurring regular permanent exhibitions, of which CH Hertford ('Forgotten Old Blues'?) will be one.
Kerren Simmonds
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Hi Everybody,

I've finally got round to uploading my Hertford Museum photos. They are not very wondrous as I was far more interested in being there and chatting to everyone than taking pics.

Many thanks to Mary Lynch,Kerren and Sarah for all their kindness that weekend and I will try to get in touch personally as soon as pos.

Please follow the link for the pics ( which you can view as a slideshow if you prefer). Somehow my cat "Ulf" is the last pic (he always manages to get everywhere).

I apologise to those people whose photo I didn't annotate....please feel free to add info on this forum.

http://tinyurl.com/CH-Hertford-museum-photos

Fond wishes to all.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

They are great, Alex (including Ulfie...)
I haven't done anything with mine yet (neither have I done anything with my pics. from 'our' joint 60th birthday party on 5 July!).
I believe that in one of your pictures (at least) there is 'Nastymum', and also her mother -but I don't know her real name! Perhaps she will come forward and identify the picture(s).
Doesn't look as if Sarah has a prosecution for going through a red light.... phew!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Great photos Alex, thanks. IMG0066 shows Nastymum on the left, and Charlie Rogers (nee Lycett) on the right. There is also a corner of Becky Court's (nee Sholl) face.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by lonely_wolf »

When I went to the museum they invited me to put my name down for a CH guide they were going to produce. Does anyone know whether this ever materialised?
3s visitor 1975
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by lonely_wolf »

Received this reply from the museum:

"Thank you for your enquiry today about the Christ’s Hospital book. I have spoken to the Curator and there has been a delay in finishing the book due to current refurbishment of the museum. The plan is to return to finishing the book within the next few months".
3s visitor 1975