Hertford Museum : Follow up visit 2 August

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Re: Hertford Museum : Follow up visit 2 August

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Looking forward to seeing you, Gerrie! The box of blue/gold ribbons is ready to go in the car first thing in the morning so make sure you make yourself known to me (dumpy, arthritic, cream linen trouser suit, OG badge) and I will give you one just for yourself! Not sure if everyone aware that Miss Tucker is coming to this... bringing the OGA current presentee (for whom ET is named Governor) and the presentee's mum who is a Hertford OG (carong on this forum) of Miss Tucker's generation.
Should be a great day!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi

I hope you all have a lovely time, I shall be with you in spirit....though most of me is going up north (Newcastle way) to have a look at a litter and reserve our pick (hopefully).

Liz
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Good luck Liz! Hope you find the puppy/puppies just right for you.....
We will raise a glass or two to you tomorrow!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Liz Jay wrote:
I shall be with you in spirit....Liz

Me too.

xx
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

OK OK I've put the camera out......
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Good luck Liz! Hope you find the puppy/puppies just right for you.....
Kerren
Hi Kerren

Actually a kitten! A ragdoll kitten......to join our four-legged family.

There are four but one is staying so we have choice of three, all boys, one seal lynx and two red points.

Four weeks old today.

Liz
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

OO Liz I'm jealous! Please post some photos when you have made your decision?!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Camera!! Thank goodness someone mentioned it. I printed out some photos of previous reunions to show some of my ex 5's companions tomorrow, and had quite forgotten to take the camera along to take more photos this time. Duh!!!!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I hope those of you that get there enjoy your day.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

We came, we saw, we pannini'd in the Snug!

I'm sorry Kerren, got so caught up in the 'oh my god you look just the sames' that when I looked around couldn't see one cream trouser suit, saw about 10, did you clone yourself???? :lol:

Had a cup of teana nd a biscuit (how mature!!), caught up with Jan, Teresa and Shirley and then met the long distance travellers, Gill and Sara, in the Snug, had lovely gossipy lunch and then launched ourselves on the old school, my how small it all looked (except from outside the main gates when the lime trees and the drive provided ample acid flashbacks!!) - very strange to see Tesco looming where the sports field should have been!

Trusty companions are all photo'd up so shall rely on them to supply shortly, suffice to say had really enjoyable time and for anyone reading this who cannot decide whether to go or not, my advice would be to arm yourself with a couple of your peers and go - it's much more fun when the 'do you remembers' are actually what you rememeber and the one's that you didn't remember remind you - if you see what I mean!

Positive day means that we are now vaguely discussing teh possibility of maybe doing a Horsham trip....yup, you can tell it was great to see them, thank you all for travelling! :D
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Gerrie, I'm sorry I missed you - caught up with Gill, Sara and Shirley later in the afternoon, after you'd gone.

We also had a great time - I met up with Jenny & family, Charlie Lycett and Becky Sholl, and we joined Kerren's group in the Salisbury Arms for lunch. Service was slow but that suited us perfectly as it enabled us to have a good old natter without feeling we were being hurried along. It was so nice to catch up with people I hadn't seen, or even had news of, for over 30 years.

Thanks again to Kerren for being the instigator - she keeps protesting she didn't do anything, but it takes someone to have the idea and make the restaurant booking.

Miss Tucker said something quite astute, I thought, as I was chatting to her before leaving. She said this year has been quite a healing year for many people. I wonder if Helen (can't remember her surname, but the museum curator) appreciates just how important her exhibition has been for so many old girls, not just as a passing interest, but in bringing people together to share memories, and in some cases (including me) helping them to come to terms with over 30 years of, at best, ambivalent (and at worst, downright bitter) memories of CH.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Jo wrote: Miss Tucker said something quite astute, I thought, as I was chatting to her before leaving. She said this year has been quite a healing year for many people. I wonder if Helen (can't remember her surname, but the museum curator) appreciates just how important her exhibition has been for so many old girls, not just as a passing interest, but in bringing people together to share memories, and in some cases (including me) helping them to come to terms with over 30 years of, at best, ambivalent (and at worst, downright bitter) memories of CH.
Hi Everyone

Glad to hear that you all had a great time (knew you would, of course). I had lunch with a friend at a favourite beach café, leaving a very sulky Bernietheboxer in the car. Usually he is able to join in, but it was p%%ing down, so no outside tables set up. Then off to an art exhibition - one of many to visit at the moment, as the annual South Australian Living Artists celebration is in full swing.

That was just to let you know that I wasn't curled up in a ball of self-pity at not being able to join you :)

Back to topic: I agree entirely with Jo and Miss Tucker. I have been half-composing a message to Helen (Gurney) for some time, thanking her for her insight and empathy, and for acknowledging the hold, both good and bad, that our years at CH had over some of us. Something that the school was either totally unaware of, or chose to ignore. Guess Jo's post was the kick up the rear that I needed to turn my intent to action.

Looking forward to the photographs (hint, hint) - and the ones of Liz's new kitty, please Liz :)

xxxxx
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Question for Munch, Mary, Alex, and other 6's. At lunch I sat next to Wendy Stone, who, I think, left 6's in 1965. I wasn't sure though whether that was her maiden name or her married name. I was just wondering if she was one of the people mentioned a while back in another thread, if her maiden name was something different?
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Wendy Stone's maiden name was Lee. Don't ask Munch about her!!! She was my contemporary, we left the same day but she had two years in 1s before joining 6s in the then U IV.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Katharine wrote:Wendy Stone's maiden name was Lee. Don't ask Munch about her!!! She was my contemporary, we left the same day but she had two years in 1s before joining 6s in the then U IV.
I'm more than delighted to reveal all about the Wendy Lee Experience!

C'mon, kick my cage!

Wendy Lee, never forgotten!

Although... I could do some work on forgiving.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""