Below Standard

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Below Standard

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Hi Gals

I was recently informed/reminded that I was once awarded a dreaded BS (at the same time as one of my contemporaries).

I have no memory of receiving it, and as I know I would have been extremely traumatised by the dishonour, thought that I must have buried the experience. However, I took a squizz at my reports last night, and the only comments SWSNBN ever recorded in her flowery script are Quite Fair, Fairly Good and Good (blimey - don't remember her ever considering my work to be 'Good' either).

So, were any forumites ever the recipient of a BS, and, if so, do you know how the dishonour was recorded on our reports?

I did wonder whether 'Quite Fair' = BS, in which case I was awarded more than one.

Off to hug the horses, who always put things back into perspective :wink:

xxx
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Below Standard

Post by Katharine »

I thought a BS was 'Fair' - she never was very informative was she! But to be fair to her she did have to write on everyone's report every term and, apart from DR must have been the only one to do that.

I have no idea what happened to any of my reports.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
hillary
Deputy Grecian

Post by hillary »

I am still haunted by a possible BS. For some reason that has completely disappeared from my brain, I decided to knit something instead of 'normal' needlework. I couldn't knit, and the dress for my 5yr-old neice turned out mis-shapen and baby-sized. I struggled to finish (knitting is sooooo slooooow), remember late nights in the loo, and the sheer terror of what might happen if I didn't finish it.

Why only a possible BS? I just don't remember whether I got one or not, but just the possibility ...... there were scathing comments and the dress looked pathetic in the display.

My parents saved my reports and various other papers, but I just can't go through them at the moment. I'd like a horse to hug.

On a positive knitting note, I was doing some research for an art project last year, and found someone who had designed/knitted a ferrari that was displayed at a motor show. She also did teapots, tables, chairs and other household items. That I admired, so much more fun that a dress! What would have happened if I'd offered to knit a teapot for needlework that term?
Hillary
8s 1966-73
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

hillary wrote:I am still haunted by a possible BS. For some reason that has completely disappeared from my brain, I decided to knit something instead of 'normal' needlework. I couldn't knit, and the dress for my 5yr-old neice turned out mis-shapen and baby-sized. I struggled to finish (knitting is sooooo slooooow),

I have never mastered the trick of picking up dropped stitches, so, having been taught so well by SWSNBN that only a perfect item is acceptable, I would undo and start again. Crochet saved my sanity - so fast that I don't mind pulling the stitches into a slightly crinkled ball of yarn and starting over - usually to make the same or a similar mistake :roll:

remember late nights in the loo, and the sheer terror of what might happen if I didn't finish it.

Why only a possible BS? I just don't remember whether I got one or not, but just the possibility ...... there were scathing comments and the dress looked pathetic in the display.

Oh, those scathing comments. Anyone who doesn't understand the destructive power of psychological abuse should try a dose of what we were subjected to.

My parents saved my reports and various other papers, but I just can't go through them at the moment. I'd like a horse to hug.

Our two are very wet and muddy at the moment. It has been absolutely bucketing down, so they are only really huggable today if I'm wearing an oilskin. I intend to make them a bran mash later - never sure whether it's for their well being or mine :wink:

On a positive knitting note, I was doing some research for an art project last year, and found someone who had designed/knitted a ferrari that was displayed at a motor show. She also did teapots, tables, chairs and other household items. That I admired, so much more fun that a dress! What would have happened if I'd offered to knit a teapot for needlework that term?
My brother has knitted a dalek, but steadfastly refuses to attempt a Dr Phew for me. And, yes, he's gay (Andrew, not David Tennant. Although he does seem just a little too nice and a little too gorgeous to be straight. And, JR, if you are offended by these comments it jolly well serves you right for reading the Hertford threads :lol:

xx
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I knitted a Klein bottle once. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle ). It was quite fun to do as you have to knit about three quarters of it, then pull all the stitches, one by one, through what you've already knitted, then carry on. I'm not sure what happened to it. It was a work of art, knitted much too loosely in green wool. I just wish I'd had the pattern for it earlier, so I could have handed it in for school needlework.

I had a "below standard" for needlework once. I think it was at the end of my first year. I remember being terrified that it would be read out in prize giving, in front of all the parents. There is no mention of it on my report - it just says "very fair".

Here is the entire set of comments from 6 years of reports. The first 5 years are from SWMNBN, the last year from Miss Jukes.
Fair, Very fair
Very fair, Very fair
Good, Only fair
Fairly good, Good,
Good, Good,
Good, Mary must pay more attention to the trimming down of turnings.

On my last 2 reports the space for Needlework is left blank. I'm not sure whether I handed anything in.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Why, Mary, what big feet you have :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a "below standard" for needlework once. I think it was at the end of my first year. I remember being terrified that it would be read out in prize giving, in front of all the parents. There is no mention of it on my report - it just says "very fair".

Hmmm, so perhaps I did receive a BS, although, like you, I have Very Fair recorded on my report more than once.
I was more terrified of the scorn and disdain of my fellow housemates - letting 6s down. OMG, how could I? Mum would just have been bemused, as I was actually quite competent with needle and thread before I set foot on the hallowed grounds. It also seems a little odd that we both (you and I, not me and Mum) oscillated between incompetence, or whatever Very Fair stood for, and Good.

Any idea how to trim down a turning?

xx
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Nothing to do with needlework at Hertford, but I handed in a history essay at Horsham that was apparently so awful the teacher had given no mark and no educational or critical comments, just "you have very nice handwriting", the only glimmer of positivity in an otherwise desolate landscape of uselessness.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.