30 Years On!

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

mjand59
2nd Former

30 Years On!

Post by mjand59 »

Did anybody actually attend the event planned on Saturday 10th May for OG's (and Boys!) at Horsham? The last list sent to me had only 6 names on it! For the girls, I mean! I couldn't be there due to commitments up here in bonny Scotland. Would be interested to hear from any girls from leaving year1977 that did go. :)
Still feel as though there is very a much a "them" and "us" situation with boys and girls - but I guess that will go after time! So sad that there is no "concrete" place to go back to a remember (good and bad stuff). Must be an age thing!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: 30 Years On!

Post by J.R. »

Although I am over the '30 years ago' mark, I'd already said that I was unable to attend.

I'm surprised no-one has said on here how it went though !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Eighhttwelve
2nd Former

Post by Eighhttwelve »

If you look on the CH Association website, there is a photo in the gallery showing the attendees, about 9 I think from memory plus Miss Tucker; I could not attend either due to work committments which were set in place long before I saw any information promoting the event. It is a shame but there did not seem to be much effort put into generating some interest in the event. The recent gathering that was arranged in Hertford to visit the museum 'Forgotten Blues' exhibition seems to have been much better attended because people used their own networks to coax people to go along.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Eighhttwelve wrote:If you look on the CH Association website, there is a photo in the gallery showing the attendees, about 9 I think from memory plus Miss Tucker; I could not attend either due to work committments which were set in place long before I saw any information promoting the event. It is a shame but there did not seem to be much effort put into generating some interest in the event. The recent gathering that was arranged in Hertford to visit the museum 'Forgotten Blues' exhibition seems to have been much better attended because people used their own networks to coax people to go along.

I'm getting ready to duck for cover here in anticipation of the Hertford Reunion being blamed for poor attendance at the 30 Year one.

I would, therefore, like to record the following facts:

The Hertford Museum exhibition was intended to be temporary, so we were strictly limited in our choice of dates.

I left CH many more than 30 years ago, so, even if I had still been in Europe last weekend, I wasn't invited.

I chose the date for the Hertford Reunion to fit in with my European trip.

Blah, blah, blah.

If anyone has any complaints, please email them to me at caroline.payne@adelaide.edu.au, as I take sole responsibility for the choice of dates, and do sincerely apologise if I unwittingly trod on any toes.

xx
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Apparently, more than 30 years since leaving was acceptable !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It seems to me that the people who went to "30 years on", Valerie et al were also at Hertford. Most of us at Hertford were Caroline's genration or older. Also, as has been said many times, Hertford 'gels' don't feel a great affinity with Horsham.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

On the CHA website, there's one photo of 5 April in Hertford - its a small group of people who were also at the 30 years on reunion. The article asks for more photographs of the Hertford museum do -and also says that the CHA is anxious to put on more activities for Hertford women. A new member of the CHA Board (who's in the 30-years on group) has said that Hertford people have been neglected for far too long.....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

I just found this thread. Does anyone know who DID attend this reunion?? I wish I could have been there as I left that year, but it was not to be. (I see Melanie Newberry was interested, but looks like she hasn't returned to the site since her question.)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Only SEVEN Hertford girls??? Oh, that's SAD!!! We have to drum up a BIG Hertford reunion sometime!! Even bigger than your museum one!!
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:Only SEVEN Hertford girls??? Oh, that's SAD!!! We have to drum up a BIG Hertford reunion sometime!! Even bigger than your museum one!!

I'm not sure that the list of names showes everyone that was there - see the photographs.
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

I think the best thing is to get hold of people somehow (like through the network) and onto this forum! Here we get information that is really immediate and those that live abroad can perhaps manage to get back for a big reunion! We need a bit longer to arrange things.
I loved being sent "Housey" but it always meant that time was too short to be able to take part in anything that was planned for Old Blues. I would have loved to have sung at carol services or been at other events but it simply wasn't possible.

Well! What about planning a Big Reunion of ALL Old Blues? Why do we restrict ourselves to years and numbers? If we plan it for - let's say - autumn 2010?

Where should it be held? Hertford is sadly, as good as no more and we girls don't have that strong sense of attachment to Horsham. Any suggestions?

And what should be on the programme? What should be shown, sung, eaten and drunk?????

Why don't we plan a Great Big Reunion?

And not just plan and write and gas about it - let's b****y well DO it!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

chaosriddenyears wrote:I think the best thing is to get hold of people somehow (like through the network) and onto this forum! Here we get information that is really immediate and those that live abroad can perhaps manage to get back for a big reunion! We need a bit longer to arrange things.
I loved being sent "Housey" but it always meant that time was too short to be able to take part in anything that was planned for Old Blues. I would have loved to have sung at carol services or been at other events but it simply wasn't possible.

Well! What about planning a Big Reunion of ALL Old Blues? Why do we restrict ourselves to years and numbers? If we plan it for - let's say - autumn 2010?

Where should it be held? Hertford is sadly, as good as no more and we girls don't have that strong sense of attachment to Horsham. Any suggestions?

And what should be on the programme? What should be shown, sung, eaten and drunk?????

Why don't we plan a Great Big Reunion?

And not just plan and write and gas about it - let's b****y well DO it!
I am confused.

What is Old Blues Day supposed to be about?

If you want to help plan it, get involved.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

I imagine your confusion comes from the concept of 'Old Blues' - which we are, technically, but to which most of us don't entirely relate!! I, for one, have only ever visited Horsham on two very brief occasions. Two brief visits!! One for Beating the Retreat and I don't even remember what the other was. I feel no affinity for the site or location. It is like visiting Eton or Harrow; beautiful and interesting, but nothing to do with me. The sight of students in their Housey dress is undoubtedly stirring - but from a removed, remote position - somewhat akin to the detached, but interested, curiosity when the two schools converged for St Matthew's day. When I see pictures of the Hertford site - I am FLOODED with memories. There is an ever dwindling number of us who have a strong affinity with CH, but a different CH from the one that all old boys and 25 years' worth of old girls relate to. If I lived in the UK, I would attend Old Blues events when I could - including Old Blues Day. I think what Chaosriddenyears is talking about is the opportunity for those of us who are from the 'forgotten' school to connect , relate, reminisce and focus on OUR school. The 'school within a school'. Old Blues Day would be wonderful to celebrate the larger sense of belonging to CH itself - a Hertford reunion would be more personal and direct. That's my ten cents worth, anyway!
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

And apparently it was enough to silence any responses!!