Margaret Wilson, RIP

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Margaret Wilson, RIP

Post by Angela Woodford »

Goodness, Kerren, that makes me feel a bit sad...

Miss Wilson was a part of all our lives at Hertford. She must have taught many girls who benefited from her Geography teachings - but, Belfast... family only... of course.

I thought of her the other day when I had to make sense of an Ordnance Survey map!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Gerrie? I can hardly imagine a Geography/Scripture mistress. Didn't you have DR for Scripture?
Ooo np, no, no - I'm not sure my bowels could have taken tat in the early years! Mrs Woods resembled someone made of dough and was terminally dull although I suspect very well intentioned!

I remember Ms J and Ms W being visually intertangeable, we did not have them so much, they seemed to be reserved for the senior years But i do know that my Puff P is pretty damn good!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

We had DR for scripture and geography.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Gerrie would not have had DRW for Scripture if she only went to Hertford in 1971, the last academic year of DRW's reign....
But Jukes and Wilson stayed on to the bitter end (1984/5)
DRW taught Scripture to us (1957-66), but Geography only in the year that Miss Wilson was away having her brain aneurism sorted out, when I think we also had a nun to teach us (Geography, not Scripture!).
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Angela Woodford wrote: Miss Jukes definitely grabbed a cigarette at Break!
I think they both did didn't they?
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Dunno about both of them, but Betty still smokes like a chimney - and pretends that she does not! Her amazing house cleaner is forever washing down the walls to get rid of the yellow stains....
Kerren Simmonds
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

BJ's ginger biscuits were quite...err....gingery, like eye-wateringly gingery. We realised that all the cigs must have dulled her taste buds somewhat.

I really don't cook much but I have been known to make her ginger biscuits occasionally. My mum was tickled pink when I first made them at home because you just roll the dough into balls and don't flatten them, then because they rise, you whack the baking tray when you take them out of the oven, and they gracefully deflate into biscuits rather than cakes. Dunno why you don't just flatten them in the first place actually :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Funny that... DRW gave me a recipe for ginger biscuits when I was compiling a recipe book for my Church (about 20-25 years ago). She said that Betty Jukes had given her the recipe. I found it so easy to execute that I was happy to put it into the Church recipe book.. so there may be dozens of people out there making Betty Jukes' very gingery ginger biscuits! And there was no whiff of tobacco in them, either......
Kerren Simmonds
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Weren't ginger biscuits the first thing you made in the LV Cookery lessons? I am sure they came very early in the 12 weeks.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Sorry, Katharine. Pass on that one. I may well have made ginger biscuits while still at school, but if I did it must have been so memorable ...... that I forgot immediately! The only two things that I still remember from Miss Jukes' lessons are rock cakes and 'scotch broth' (where we had to cut all the vegetables including carrots into tiny sticks......)
Kerren Simmonds
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I remember brandy snaps (wrapping the snap round a buttered wooden spoon handle), cream horns, apple crumble and queen of puddings Did we actually make food you could live on?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

englishangel wrote:I remember brandy snaps (wrapping the snap round a buttered wooden spoon handle), cream horns, apple crumble and queen of puddings Did we actually make food you could live on?
I remember some of those too - apart from the ginger biscuits - rock cakes, brandy snaps, sausage rolls, cheese scones, gipsy creams, lemon curd, victoria sponge (which I had been making at home for years!) But my mum had already taught me to bake quite a lot at home, and I always said it would be much more useful if we learned to cook proper meals in cookery. Maybe the budget didn't stretch to that for the people who only did cookery for a couple of terms. I still have my little school cookery book somewhere.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Blimey, every other thread I click on seems to be about biscuits!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Makes a change from our underwear
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Changing Underwear !

Now, theres another subject for discussion !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.