Aqua Manda

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Aqua Manda

Post by Angela Woodford »

The Telegraph beauty page this morning tells me that Original Linco Beer shampoo is making a comeback!

"For fabulous body and shine" etc.

Anyone remember this product? It came in a small orangey "beer-barrel" squeezy container.

Oh, I've come over all nostalgic.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

I do! and when you cut the top off, the contents would immediately squirt all over your fingers.... :x
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Hey Ann!

It seems a funny product to relaunch with all the zillions of hair care products there are nowadays. But I absolutely will get some Linco Beer if I see it! :D

As I remember, in the Sixties, we were urged by Honey Magazine or the weekly Petticoat to rinse our hair in

[*]stale beer - as if there'd be any of that at CH or in our household!

[*]lemon juice - for blondes

[*]solution of vinegar - for brunettes

and I also remember languishing in my room at home with a whipped-up egg white on my face! :shock:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Angela, did you ever try a sachet of oatmeal face mask, with slices of cucumber over your eyes? I did :oops: - what a mess!!! I can't say that they worked, either ... :( but I had to try, I was desperate for a new face!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Yes!!!!

I do remember the sachets of oatmeal face mask - which make? I can't remember! They were a bit sticky....

I did Denise Brownlow's basket, and was always careful to put in her tube of Avon Rose Mint pink face mask when she had spots - to me this was the very height of sophistication!

There was one affordable brand of cleanser which I bought in the holidays to remove much longed for make-up (Revlon "Toasted Beige", which infuriated my mother). "Anne French" milk.

I used to hang about the Dior and Charles of the Ritz counters at Pratts of Streatham - longing to soak up a bit of beauty knowhow in some way...
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Oh gosh, Anne French cleansing milk !! That's another evocative smell. Can you still get it?

My Champney's Citrus Glow liquid soap is still doing a good job of recreating Aqua Manda.... :)
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Thank you, thank you Mary! :D

Hmm, they've changed the colour of the bottle top! :shock: It was dark blue. Is nothing sacred? Jo, I do remember the scent of Anne French, and what a runny consistency it was... I've just been giggling over the link. Customers who bought AFCM also chose

A tablet remedy for thrush, and batteries of a certain size. Tee hee.

Retracing my early teen footsteps around the beauty counters of Pratts of Streatham, I'm gazing at the Charles of the Ritz counter where they have a display of face powder in about twelve different colours. A stately matron with mauve hair is sitting beside the counter with her walking stick propped up against the chair watching the bouffant assistant custom-blend for her rouged face an exact shade .

I'm fascinated.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I use Simple facial wipes when travelling, or their make-up/eye make-up remover.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Does anyone remember a tv ad (monochrome in our household) for 2 Max Factor (I think) lipsticks, called "Golden Honey" and "Pink Brandy"? Once I'd seen them in colour (in Boots probably) I bought them both! :oops: :oops:

(Early 60's?)
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Angela Woodford wrote:Hey Ann!

It seems a funny product to relaunch with all the zillions of hair care products there are nowadays. But I absolutely will get some Linco Beer if I see it! :D

As I remember, in the Sixties, we were urged by Honey Magazine or the weekly Petticoat to rinse our hair in

[*]stale beer - as if there'd be any of that at CH or in our household!

[*]lemon juice - for blondes

[*]solution of vinegar - for brunettes

and I also remember languishing in my room at home with a whipped-up egg white on my face! :shock:

Superdrug sell Linco beer shampoo-in sachets and those little barrels! I still use it now and again, just the same as it always was. And I also used Anne French cleansing milk for years until I discovered Nivea was better.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Into Tiverton this afternoon - and will investigate the Superdrug for the Linco Beer shampoo! :D

Thanks for the tip-off, Frances. Extra body and bounce coming my way!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I shouldn't be on this Forum -- but Fellers have beauty products too !!

One has to be very careful of one's Aftershave, and for years I have been using without objections, and some compliments !
-- "Jovan" which I think-- havn't checked-- is by Goya, USA

At CH in the 40s -- I think "Brylcreem" was the only acceptable "Grooming" !!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:At CH in the 40s -- I think "Brylcreem" was the only acceptable "Grooming" !!!
Brylcreem! Brylcreem!

Goodness, NEILL, I had forgotten about this stuff, but now I remember my big brother's toilette. A white bottle of Old Spice aftershave, which he patted onto his face after shaving, and which seemed to cause him extreme agony - plus a red tub of Brylcreem, which enabled him to achieve a lasting Fifties quiff effect. My father used a rather dodgy product called "Morgan's Pomade". He swore that Morgan's Pomade prevented his hair from going grey. My brother eschewed the Pomade - it was for the oldies - claiming that Brylcreem gave his hair "bounce".

It didn't look bouncy to me. More a solid thick greasyish effect! But then I thought exactly the same recently when Henry would put on Funky XXX Hair Super Putty before the Army haircut was inflicted on him.

And now my newest experience. Now I have scraped the bottom of my precious jar of Estée Lauder Time Zone Anti Line/Wrinkle Creme, I have downcreamed in true recessionista style with Nivea Visage Regenerating Night Cream.

"Regenerating Night Cream... added almond oil.... vitamin B6" indeed! It's the same old Nivea Cream as ever was. Blue pot, white sticky texture, foil lid, same scent. Meh! as one says nowadays.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Ah Neill, Old Spice; we still have several bottles of it in the bathroom cupboard. My mother-in-law insists on buying it every Christmas for her son, apparently oblivious of the fact that he has a very full beard - he shaves it off for a month or so each summer and then regrows it in time to be Father Christmas at various fairs and primary schools in December. In fact he is about to fly to Finland to perform at Hanna's playschool - how's that for sending coals to Newcastle.?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'