Bread and dripping

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Re: Bread and dripping

Post by midget »

I can't remember,but whatever it was I wanted one! A friend, equally small, suggested we try to get dresses that were as tight as possible, in the hope that the staff would suggest we had senior ones.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Breakfast!

I remember being on Breakfast Hallwork. The senior BH Girl would have cut up the fresh white bloomer loaves in the proscribed way - I have never forgotten the bread slicing method - but was bread put down the tables on plates? Or baskets? Or just plonked on the tablecloth?

This has sprung into my mind because I suddenly had a yearning for a slice of that marvellously squidgy fresh white bread with a pat of marge and the School marmalade, which I found delicious. Some spread marmalade on their fried bread, I know, but I loved the white bread in the morning. Er... several slices. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Do I remember calling down the table "Bread please!"?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Wasn't the bread just cut and left on the board and we helped ourselves? Yes, the fresh bread was delicious but My memories however are of stale bread on some days, rumour had it that vinegar was somehow used ..yuk! to make it seem fresher.
Jenny_Pardington
2nd Former

Post by Jenny_Pardington »

Oooh yes! Definitely the best dripping on the best bread ever. I ate as many rounds of it as I could. Why didn't we put on weight?

I had to help out in the kitchen for one Sunday roast dinner (head cook was off sick and a couple of us were drafted in). It was most enlightening - and I can guarantee everything was cooked from scratch.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Jenny_Pardington wrote:Oooh yes! Definitely the best dripping on the best bread ever. I ate as many rounds of it as I could. Why didn't we put on weight?
Alas, Jenny. I was the school fatty. I certainly did put on a lot of weight at school. I was plain, and bulged, with a giant bust. I loved that bread - and comfort-ate until I looked truly dreadful. I've just spoken to a dear Hertford friend on the phone this morning. "Only the most beloved friends still call me "Munch" I said. There was a lot of laughing.

Were you slender at school, Jenny? Some girls seemed to eat plenty and stayed in good shape. It wasn't until I read Susie Orbach's "Fat is a Feminist Issue" that I realised why I was so huge during those Hertford years. :oops:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Angela - I was slim as a whip until about the age of 15. Masses of emotional turmoil at home and at school - and the white bread was a culprit in subsequent porkdom!! I read Susie Orbach's book when I was about 21 and it made a tremendous difference for me. Never went on a diet of any description after that - and weighed the same for the next 25 years. The only fluctuations came about after having twins in my 40s. I am pretty active - and still weigh what I weighed in my early 20s, but still know that for me - carbs are the enemy!! Paleo eating is the way to go!!
Witchwheels
2nd Former

Post by Witchwheels »

Yes, I remember it as an occasional offering in 2s but sadly, not a regular happening. I also remember it was prepared by the two “chars” which caused concern among some girls re: the bacterial implications of Mrs H never being seen to wash her hands on leaving the loo - I was always too keen on the bread & dripping to care!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Colette. although I had had some during trips to an aunt when I was a toddler, during a business trip to Frankfurt I was taken out one evening to "enjoy" a Frankfurt speciality - thick wodge of dripping on a slice of bread. Not quite to my taste - I don't like the texture! I needed plenty of beer to get the feeling out of my mouth.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Witchwheels
2nd Former

Post by Witchwheels »

Hello there
I fear you had a perfectly horrid experience in Frankfurt you poor thing, I’m not the least surprised you needed plenty of beer to get it down!
“ thick wodge of dripping” sounds appalling - dripping should always be spread like marmite, a mere scrape is an ample sufficiency, preferably with a smidgen of the dark juices from the bottom of the dripping jar.