Bread and dripping

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

Bread and dripping

Post by thamesmudandbarges »

Does anyone remember bread and dripping at break on a Monday, followed by jam (which we referred to as lipstick) on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday?

Yum - bread and dripping was sssooooo good!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Bread and dripping

Post by J.R. »

We never had such a delicacy at Horsham.

I remember as a young sprog, having toast and dripping in front of the fire in winter. Scrumptious !!!

What would 'Elf & Safety' and the medical boffins of today make of it, one wonders ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

If I may be so bold- S0D elfnsafety and bring on the toast and dripping.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Nice one Maggie !

I'm with you !
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I still instinctively save dripping, but mainly resist the urge to slap it on bread; when I have a full bowl of it I pass it on to my Dad who at 84 is still incredibly fit physically - far fitter than I am in fact, so perhaps dripping is safer than 'elfnsafety' would have us believe. I wonder if Monday's dripping at Hertford was saved from Sunday's lunch - did we have roast dinners on a Sunday, I forget? I remember asking DR once about why we had fish (fish and stodge) on Friday, since the original idea of that was to abstain from meat on a Friday rather than to eat fish. She said that we needed fish in our diet and it was easier to order it in bulk on a particular day every week. I have just had a lurid picture flit through what is left of my mind of that strange pink (salmon coloured) sauce that we used to have on fish - ugh!

Now I must get back to the other board - I am itching to know about all these potential new admissions .......
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Yes, we had roast meat on Sundays. I say "meat" deliberately, as I was never quite sure what it was - I suppose it was beef. Each week one house (or two houses?) had a turn to have roast potatoes.

Once some girls were punished for something by being served rice pudding instead of fruit pie and custard as afters at Sunday lunch. This backfired because other, unpunished girls asked for it too as they preferred it. It's only now that I recount the story that I realise how bizarre it is. Can anyone confirm that I didn't imagine it?
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

We definitely had roast dinners on a Sunday at Hertford. In particular I remember having pork. I'm sure we must have had other meats as well though!
I can also remember the pink sauce on our fish!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Well lucky old you lot! Sunday lunch for the entire time I was at Hertford was corned beef, plain boiled potatoes and "winter salad" so that few kitchen staff were needed.
We did get a roast during the week though still boiled spuds, and the meat was excellent.
thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

Post by thamesmudandbarges »

I remember always having a Sunday Roast (of sorts - meat unidentifiable, but that could be through childish ignorance as much as culinary questionability) with dripping served up at break on the Monday. After that it was bread and jam or "lipstick" as we called it.

And what about malt? Do you remember queueing up for a spoonful of malt every winter term day?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I loved the malt, though not many did. I don't know if other houses also had two Senokot on the first two Saturdays of each term "because the change of water might make you constipated"! No thought that it might affect you the other way. I would do the 'hamster' thing with mine and then spit them down the loo. No more information will be given on this subject by me!! :oops:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I never knew hamsters took Senokot ? :lol:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

You can learn something new every day from this Forum!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

oh ha ha
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I loved bread and dripping. It would be laid out on the Cloakroom table for Break (11.20) with all that fresh white bread, newly sliced on its board. There was the dripping, an inviting spreadable cream, intersected with gorgeously savoury brown jelly layers. Salt was provided, to be sprinkled liberally from two brown salt cellars with chrome tops. Dripping! Utterly delicious, unlike that bright red economy fake jam which was of a terrible quality.

The big tin milk container would also be on the table with the metal dipper hooked over the side. The milk would be chilled at this time, having only just been delivered by the little men. During the day, it would grow warmer and whiffier; but a great drink at Break.

Feeling a bit peckish now!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I also love big fluffy dumplings ! (No comments, perleeez !)

I heard recently that they are now considered un-pc due to their content.

Bleedin' redicerous. Superb on a cold day in a thick stew.